Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Try again Ignition problems

jaydoc26

There are really two problems, both of which are related to the ignition system.

The truck is a '91 4x4 SR-5 with 89,000 miles.

The first one I noticed shortly after I bought the truck about 2 months ago. While driving, and a few times while stopped at a light, the truck would lose fire for a split second. It will never completely die, but the RPM's will drop, and if I am driving, the truck will lurch as if the engine were off. It only lasts for about .1-.2 seconds at the most. It's just enough to get my attention. I have talked with a tech at Toyota HQ in LA, and he thinks that it might be the ECM? I think that's what he said. Only once did I notice that the "check engine" light come on. On a long trip, it will do it sporadically, but about every 30-45 minutes or so. Again, it's like you just pulled the coil wire out or something where there is just no fire. What do you think?

Also, when I accelerate from a light, the truck acts as if it's not firing on all 6. By the way, it's an SR-5 5-speed. It doesn't feel like there's a miss so much as it just isn't getting all that it should. Then, if I give it enough gas and it gets to about 2500-2800 RPM or so, it feels like a VVT engine when the cam kicks over. It all of a sudden feels like it's running like it should. I don't know what's up with that. It does it at about every stoplight. Usually only in the first couple gears though. Or as least that's all I notice it doing it.

If you guys/gals have any ideas what's up, please let me know. I'm a medical student that has neither the time nor money to take it to a shop. I am fairly good with cars, but this one is confusing me. Thanks for all of your help guys.

Doug

• 6 months later...

Hey ! I'm having the same problems with my 92' SR5 pickup.

What did you find to fix the engine shutting off problem?

Mine often shuts off and stay off at very bad times!

often start up again, other times not for many (20) cranking attempts.

Help! Thanks !

Mike (findadventure@hotmail.com) or mr.mike on this form.........

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links