Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 powe..

Benn1991

I am looking for a larger family vehicle and am considering a Rav 4. I currently have a 1.8 Corolla (22 plate) which is a good car don’t get me wrong but struggled with power. I live in an area with a lot of hills and therefore it tends to struggle, revving high and defeating the object of the hybrid system. However for the most part when on flat it is great.

Is the Rav 4 the same as the Corolla? I’m wanting a car that has some torque and will allow progressive driving when required. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks 

RAV4 is more powerful in terms of HP and torque but why don't you just go to your dealer and test drive one for a day?

Hi Benn,the RAV4, is a popular crossover SUV, offers distinct advantages compared to the Corolla GR Sport. It boasts more space for passengers and luggage, perfect for families. Additionally, its higher ground clearance makes it a good choice for tackling unpaved roads or the occasional off road adventure.

The RAV4 packs a punch with a larger 2.5-litre engine compared to the Corolla GR Sport's 1.8-litre. This translates to better acceleration and effortless hill climbing, making a noticeable difference on those challenging inclines you encounter. You'll experience a more relaxed drive as the engine doesn't need to rev as much, especially on climbs. Torque figures back this up, with the RAV4 boasting 184 lb-ft compared to the Corolla GR Sport's 128 lb-ft.

Despite its larger engine, the RAV4 offers impressive fuel economy, particularly with the hybrid option, making it a compelling choice for cost conscious drivers, especially with current petrol prices.

The RAV4 prioritises safety with a suite of standard features like automatic emergency braking and lane departure warning. Additional safety packs offer features like blind spot monitoring and rear cross traffic alert. While the RAV4 excels in power and space, the Corolla GR Sport might hold its own in terms of handling. Its smaller size and potentially sportier suspension could translate to a more engaging driving experience, especially on winding country roads.

The RAV4's larger size might make tight car park spaces or navigating narrow country lanes a bit more challenging. Additionally, its higher centre of gravity might not provide the sharpest handling compared to a lower car like the Corolla GR Sport. However, for your hilly terrain, the RAV4's power and extra ground clearance could be a significant advantage..

Ultimately, the best choice depends on your priorities. If you prioritise space, power for hills, fuel efficiency (especially with the hybrid), and a comfortable ride, the RAV4 is a strong contender.A test drive is the best way to get a good feel of it's handling, power and comfort. Hope this helps.:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benn1991 said:

I currently have a 1.8 Corolla (22 plate) ...

Why? The Corolla comes with a choice of engine - the 1.8 is the frugal, economic option; the 2.0 offers better performance.

The RAV4 is comparable in performance to the Corolla 2.0 (and bigger!).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

Why? The Corolla comes with a choice of engine - the 1.8 is the frugal, economic option; the 2.0 offers better performance.

The RAV4 is comparable in performance to the Corolla 2.0 (and bigger!).

I was driving a 300hp car which was no longer required, and was advised to get the 1.8 at the dealership as I fancied something a bit more economical for a change. 

I think the CVT gearbox doesn’t help the matter. 1.8 is a fairly decent sized engine in comparison to other vehicles these days it’s just surprising how little power they produce.

another vehicle of interest is the CX60 plug in hybrid but with 320hp, I imagine it is quite different to a rav 4.

appreciate the replies, thanks 

• Like 1

The hybrid engines displacement is deceptive as they are Atkinson/Miller-cycle - Although it says 1.8, it feels closer to a 1.5 due to the difference in compression and expansion ratio caused by the Miller-cycle valve-timing (It expands the full 1.8L worth to extract as much energy as possible and increase efficiency, but doesn't compress 1.8L of fuel/air mix, so the torque and power is lower than in a normal Otto-cycle engine of the same displacement.).

The cars will rev more if you're hoofing it as the pseudo-CVT system will optimize the revs for efficiency or power in a way no other 'gearbox' can do. It's not struggling or being damaged, it's just doing what you're telling it to do by responding to the accelerator immediately.

It is something you need to get used to as normal gearboxes can't do this and you have to wait for the power to build which feels more natural to most people, esp. as you don't feel the torque building in the same way. Also most people are scared to rev out their engine to extract maximum performance and shift well before the red-line, but the hybrid system has no such qualms and will happily rev up to the maximum power RPM if told to via the accelerator pedal.

The DynamicForce-branded engines (M20A in the Corolla and M15A in the Yaris) are better for feel, as if you really hammer them they switch into Otto-cycle mode - The fuel economy will drop to that of a normal ICE car but it'll haul like you'd expect a 2.0L NA engine to.

I'm not like most hybrid owners as I don't drive for economy, but for fun :naughty: and I've been very impressed as the car has incredibly rapid accelerator response (Very few cars can get away from the lights as fast as this one :naughty: :whistling1:), has respectable acceleration and very good handling, and while there are other cars that can do all of that better, they'd do it getting maybe half the mpg this one does - It's one of those rare cars where you can have your cake and eat it, so to speak :biggrin: 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I popped into the Rav 4 forum as I may consider one next.

After reading your reply Cyker, I may consider another 2.0L Corolla or keep the one I have, I love mine for all the things you mentioned. I had an early morning meeting last week and I decided to take the Peak District route to South Yorkshire, clear roads and I had a smile on my face driving it to the conditions. 

I like the idea of a RAV 4 as most my of my miles are A roads and Motorways, the higher driving position is becoming the norm and I assume it has more boot space for when needed then my Corolla Sport. Not that I have struggled with space mind.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links