Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to permanently disable excess speed notification?

Beefstah

Hi,

I'm very happy with my 2024 PHEV GR Sport...apart from the excess speed notification. It seems to turn itself back on each time I start the car, and it's buried deep enough in the menus for turning it off to be tedious. I couldn't even find a threshold to allow a small bit of overage.

Is there any way I can kill it permanently. Carista didn't seem to have an option for it, but I wondering if there's any alternatives available?

It's a part of the toyota road sign assist system. The abbreviation is RSA system.

See manual/// search for RSA ROAD SIGN ASSIST warnings.

ROAD  SIDE ASSIST, then >>> warnings.

----------------

Explained in short : steering wheel, left side of it, press the ARROW DOWN until you reach a sign for SETTINGS.

Select OK.

Go down again to settings for RSA.

There you can change the warnings. 

I have an aygoX but I trust all systems are a bit the same in toyotas..  if not, try to find a way with the above path. 

Good luck and enjoy !!

49 minutes ago, Beefstah said:

I'm very happy with my 2024 PHEV GR Sport...apart from the excess speed notification. It seems to turn itself back on each time I start the car, and it's buried deep enough in the menus for turning it off to be tedious. I couldn't even find a threshold to allow a small bit of overage.

Is there any way I can kill it permanently. Carista didn't seem to have an option for it, but I wondering if there's any alternatives available?

Abide by the speed limit? 😉

What you can and cannot do may well vary with geography and does vary with TSS version. With mine - UK, TSS 2.0 - the speed limit display goes red but no warning sounds. And that doesn't bother me at all.

With a UK, 2024 PHEV the customisation settings are on page 607 of the manual. It states clearly that you can switch RSA Off altogether, and that it will re-enable to On "each time the power switch is turned to ON".

However, you do have the options to customize the:

• Excess speed notification method - with options: "No notification, Display only, Display and buzzer".
  • Excess speed notification level - with options: "2 km/h (1 mph), 5 km/h (3 mph), 10 km/h (5 mph)

There is no indication that these customisations would be reset when power switch is turned to ON ...

So, you should be able to get the system to a state that you can live with.

• Like 1

Excellent idea...sadly let down by the manual being wrong, and the notification level setting simply not existing!

And if I set the 'Above speed Limit' notification to 'No Notification', it resets itself on the next engine start, as the attached video shows.

menu-top.PNG

menu-lvl1.PNG

menu-lvl2.PNG

menu-lvl3.PNG

• Like 1

Well, that's a bit annoying ...

Your profile says that you are not in the UK, and I merely quoted what was stated in the UK manual ... Different geographies may have different homologation rules on these systems.

Have you checked my suggestion against your own manual - i.e. the one that corresponds to the VIN of your car?

And then, if you have, you should next refer the discrepancy to your dealer - because the car should conform to what is stated in the manual and vice versa.

Fortunately my kids aren't babies any more but inherent beeping in the car from warnings would disturb their sleep, so I used to turn everything off where possible before long journeys.
Same for disabling the stop/start engine when at lights. They would sense the engine stop and immediately wake and scream for the next half hour. 

Oh I'm in the UK - I just didn't like needing to to give any details about my location.

I also downloaded the manual from the Toyota website after validating VIN, so it's definitely the 'intended' manual for my vehicle.

I've emailed my dealer, will see what they say. Not holding my breath...

Looking at new car reviews this seems to be the new norm, driven by updated regulations no doubt. There are also new driver attention warnings that sound every time you take your eyes off the road for more than a few seconds. 🙄

6 hours ago, Beefstah said:

Oh I'm in the UK - I just didn't like needing to to give any details about my location.

I also downloaded the manual from the Toyota website after validating VIN, so it's definitely the 'intended' manual for my vehicle.

I've emailed my dealer, will see what they say. Not holding my breath...

New safety regulations I am afraid. 2024 models have to comply with this which means it switches ON after every start.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's awful - The eye trackers shine infrared light into your eyes the whole time you're driving, and I don't understand how that got through safety trials. Your iris doesn't react to infrared light so the full force of it is going to be hitting your retinas continuously, and I'm sure this is going to increase eye fatigue on top of all the bright LEDs and blue backlit buttons everywhere...

Maybe when everyone is crashing because they have splitting headaches from all the safety devices being added :rolleyes1:

• Sad 1

Well whatever the reason, it's extremely annoying.

Between this and the disaster that is MyToyota - especially the 'Profile not syncing' error that plonks itself across the screen on top of everything else every few minutes - I'm seriously considering returning the vehicle.

Great car mechanically...but the software is disgraceful and Toyota should be ashamed to have released something so poorly designed and tested. It's just one nonsensical frustration after another.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The warning beeper is located in the instrument cluster. If you take it out you can remove the source of the sound. However, this is not a trivial task.

EU rules and its annoying but now mandated safety systems have to reactivate. I hear on some brands with more sophisticated screens, you can at least program your own shortcut buttons including ones to go straight to the annoyance setting menu so you can easily deactivate it.

The self resetting speed warning is just the start to get us used to it. Further rules to come will make the car limited to the speed limit but can be overidden temporarily. Final step will be to ban the overide.

We all see the problems with trucks that all have a slight calibration difference in their limiters trying to pass each other, imagine every vehicle in the road in the same situation? It will be a nightmare.

Problem is if you took your Corolla back what else would you buy? Any new car now will have the same issues.

It will only get worse. Driver awareness monitors etc. 

The pings and bongs are increasingly legal requirements from our Nannie’s in government’s around the world but especially Brussels. Apparently we can’t be allowed to think for ourself, it might be dangerous. 

On 2/1/2024 at 10:11 AM, Beefstah said:

Excellent idea...sadly let down by the manual being wrong, and the notification level setting simply not existing!

And if I set the 'Above speed Limit' notification to 'No Notification', it resets itself on the next engine start, as the attached video shows.

menu-top.PNG

menu-lvl1.PNG

menu-lvl2.PNG

menu-lvl3.PNG

Just out of interest. I have turn off the pings relating to this discussion, opting for visual notification of exceeding speed limit only. My only question follow this is what is the difference between “above speed limit” and “overtaking” ? 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Loanwheeler said:

Just out of interest. I have turn off the pings relating to this discussion, opting for visual notification of exceeding speed limit only. My only question follow this is what is the difference between “above speed limit” and “overtaking” ? 

Good question 

On 2/1/2024 at 11:21 PM, Beefstah said:

Well whatever the reason, it's extremely annoying.

Between this and the disaster that is MyToyota - especially the 'Profile not syncing' error that plonks itself across the screen on top of everything else every few minutes - I'm seriously considering returning the vehicle.

Great car mechanically...but the software is disgraceful and Toyota should be ashamed to have released something so poorly designed and tested. It's just one nonsensical frustration after another.

If you set it to visual only notification are you saying it reverts back to audio and visual each time you start your car?

And there's nothing on the vehicle settings web page when you login there, since it took me a while a couple of years to go to realise you can change certain things here.

Are you sure?  If indeed this warning cannot be turned off on 2024 cars that could be a bit annoying.  It certainly can be on 2021 cars.  However I don't think it it is simply the fault of Brussels as has been suggested.  Surely it is just another step on the road to autonomous vehicles? 🤔

I agree. The UK is out of the EU, and the UK spec cars are made in Japan, for the UK market only, so no need to abide by EU regulation... I don't think there are any EU countries that have RHD car as standard...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chilaspt said:

I agree. The UK is out of the EU, and the UK spec cars are made in Japan, for the UK market only, so no need to abide by EU regulation... I don't think there are any EU countries that have RHD car as standard...

The UK is continuing to follow EU regs as regards vehicle safety. Ireland, Republic of Cyprus and Malta are  in the EU, and are RHD markets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's one of the most infuriating things about Brexit - We've lost all the benefits but we're still operating within all the restrictions, so effectively we've ended up with the worst of both worlds! :wallbash:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The UK is continuing to follow EU regs as regards vehicle safety. Ireland, Republic of Cyprus and Malta are  in the EU, and are RHD markets.

Always learning! Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to buy a new yaris, would I be better getting the 2021 model? 

Thanks 

Louise 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links