Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Insurance

benxt5

My insurance is up for renewal the start of March so thought I'd test the water and see what prices were.

I know that renewals don't come through until close to the date so did a quote with my current company (Aviva) using a different name and next doors address.

Last year I paid £330 fully comp protected full ncd (29yrs old)...

...and this year, now in my 30's and still with full no claims.... £1150!!!!!!!! up about 350%!!!

What the hell is that about? How ridiculous?!? I havent paid that since I was 21 and had an Ibiza Cupra sport!!!

The comparison sites get it down to about £600 but that is still almost doulble last year.

Anyone else felt the wrath of the rip-off merchants recently?

My insurance is up for renewal the start of March so thought I'd test the water and see what prices were.

I know that renewals don't come through until close to the date so did a quote with my current company (Aviva) using a different name and next doors address.

...and this year, now in my 30's and still with full no claims.... £1150!!!!!!!! up about 350%!!!

What the hell is that about? How ridiculous?!? I havent paid that since I was 21 and had an Ibiza Cupra sport!!!

The comparison sites get it down to about £600 but that is still almost doulble last year.

Try Admiral

Try Admiral

You work for them?!? :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Try Admiral

You work for them?!? :thumbsup::rolleyes:

No but they gave me the best quote when I was sorting insurance for my daughter and son August last year. I ended up undertaking to adopt a multi car insurance with them when mine and my wife's insurance is due. They quoted a guaranteed price almost a year in advance for both of us that was less than we had paid for this year.

Admiral quoted £580, so one of the cheapest so far cheers.

Still can't get over how they get away with such an increase for something that is a legal requirement to have!

Still can't get over how they get away with such an increase for something that is a legal requirement to have!

When you are ready to get a true quote, do the online thing and leave it a day or two. They will phone you to see 'if we can do better Sir' :thumbsup:

When you are ready to get a true quote, do the online thing and leave it a day or two. They will phone you to see 'if we can do better Sir' :thumbsup:

Nice touch! I'm liking your style!

Thanks.

I read about insurance prices shooting up and was wondering what I was gonna get stung for, but price not really changed from last year at all generally speaking (and price between old and new car was nothing as well) - most odd :wacko:

Paying £320 for Protected NCD w/Business use, ZERO Excess, legal cover, Enhanced courtesy car and full Euro cover (rather then basic legal euro cover) so pleasantly surprised.

I have used confused.com every year to get a quote and then usually go direct or via a cashback site for best price, but THIS year, I found clicking the confused.com link ended up cheaper then doing the exact same quote direct, so that might be worth a try to save a few quid :thumbsup:

Try swiftcover.

They managed to get me insured this year for the same price i paid last year with Chris knott, which was cheaper than most other companies could do, and as it's all online you can do the admin side of things yourself without extra fee's.

Also, try adding a partner/spouse or even a parent. You'd be surprised how much it can save you, and they don't have to drive your car.

Don't put your faith in comparison sites, if you go to the 3 cheapest quotes and do a direct quote with them, you will probably find that the price differs.

Good luck

Saga have just changed their policy to refuse insurance for extra drivers under 30.

Thankfully their rate only went up slightly and I renewed at £134 for number 2 RAV. Fully comp but as I have a number of cars available, it only does less than 5000 miles pa.... although it does have the ecu which cuts revs at 118 mph.

The other - number 1 - is now about £230 but thats with breakdown recovery.

I'm thinking of fleet insurance but don't they look for 5 cars??

The charity's fleet insurance is now about £4000 pa but thats 7 trucks and 2 forklifts... quite a good deal....and no mileage restriction

Ringing up a selection after getting some online quotes is essential; Some of the online quotes are just ridiculous (Well, as you have found! :lol: )

I insure my 2005 RAV with Admiral .Last year I paid £280 fully comp named driver and spouse,full no claims disc,protected,legal cover etc.Had a letter off them two weeks ago with my renewal quote of £320 up 14% ,I have never made a claim since I have been with them.Went on gocompare to get some other quotes,plenty below £320 but unfamiliar companies,one from a known company endsleigh quoted £270.Plenty above £320 as well ,some over £500.

Decided to phone Admiral to ask why the 14% increase ,way above inflation,usual excuses all policies have gone up ,more claims from drivers ,high cost of repairs etc etc.Managed to wangle £15 off and agreed to pay £305.Reasonably happy with that.

Thde whole thing with car insurance is that it is compulsory!

The insurance companies know this and charge what they think the market will bear.

Unfortunately there is no way we can get round it, and the charges they make have a direct bearing on the number of uninsured drivers, whixh of course "puts the prices up" ... Someone, somewhere, surely must have an answer to uninsured drivers, other than shooting them??

The insurance companies know this and charge what they think the market will bear.

Unfortunately there is no way we can get round it, and the charges they make have a direct bearing on the number of uninsured drivers, whixh of course "puts the prices up" ... Someone, somewhere, surely must have an answer to uninsured drivers, other than shooting them??

hi

years ago having no car insurence was a very serious offence.but now it does not seem to be so.the trouble is now that the fine for not having insurence is less than the cost of insuring a car in the first place.so many dont bother.

a case the other day of a driver who failed to stop when required by by police.he had no tax,no insurence.

when in court he was fined for failing to stop when requested to,fined for no tax.but having no insurence was not taken consideration,and not punished in anyway for that offence.

whats going on.

hi

years ago having no car insurence was a very serious offence.but now it does not seem to be so.the trouble is now that the fine for not having insurence is less than the cost of insuring a car in the first place.so many dont bother.

a case the other day of a driver who failed to stop when required by by police.he had no tax,no insurence.

when in court he was fined for failing to stop when requested to,fined for no tax.but having no insurence was not taken consideration,and not punished in anyway for that offence.

whats going on.

Exactly my point, the courts don't seem to treat it with the severity they perhaps ought to. Maybe the fine should be double the 'missing' premium plus whatever else the judge/magistrate thinks of at the time??

Also, i don't think that speed cameras help, they can't stop an uninsured driver, a copper in a car can!

With the price of fuel these days, Insurance should be included!

Then EVERYONE would be insured as long as there was fuel in the tank, and we would all be a bit happier about paying the ridiculous prices.

As for non-insured drivers, there should be a simple solution.

If you are British and are caught un-insured, £10,000 fine or 6 months inside.

If you re-offend, 5 years inside

If you are a foreign national and drive un-insured, you get put on a plane back home the next day.

This countries Laws need to be looked at by someone with a set of balls.

• Like 1

Then EVERYONE would be insured as long as there was fuel in the tank, and we would all be a bit happier about paying the ridiculous prices.

If you are a foreign national and drive un-insured, you get put on a plane back home the next day.

send them home on plane?

make swim home,or underneath a lorry.

I had thought perhaps that if the Insurance companies and the petrol retailers got together and issued a card instead of the ridiculously large piece of paper as an insurance certificate, then you had to put the card into the petrol pump before you could get some go-go juice.... but then you could give the card to a friend etc....

Any other workable suggestions? - agree with the punishments above though... although that is perhaps easier if they arrive by ferry, you check their insurance documents as they arrive - no documents then the car is confiscated and the miscreant is put back on the ferry!! otherwise the above suggestion sounds good to me!! after a good flogging of course! :thumbsup:

I had thought perhaps that if the Insurance companies and the petrol retailers got together and issued a card instead of the ridiculously large piece of paper as an insurance certificate, then you had to put the card into the petrol pump before you could get some go-go juice.... but then you could give the card to a friend etc....

Any other workable suggestions? - agree with the punishments above though... although that is perhaps easier if they arrive by ferry, you check their insurance documents as they arrive - no documents then the car is confiscated and the miscreant is put back on the ferry!! otherwise the above suggestion sounds good to me!! after a good flogging of course! :thumbsup:

You could forget the card and use ANPR technology that would only turn on the fuel pump once the car has been confirmed as having both Insurance AND Road Tax AND MOT . Plus, with the DVLA Record of the vehicle linked up, it would be possible to automatically disable non-valid fuel nozzles - so the end of incorrect filling as well :thumbsup:

But .... the fuel retailers are there to sell fuel and there is no reason why they would voluntarily sign up to that kind of scheme.

You could forget the card and use ANPR technology that would only turn on the fuel pump once the car has been confirmed as having both Insurance AND Road Tax AND MOT . Plus, with the DVLA Record of the vehicle linked up, it would be possible to automatically disable non-valid fuel nozzles - so the end of incorrect filling as well :thumbsup:

But .... the fuel retailers are there to sell fuel and there is no reason why they would voluntarily sign up to that kind of scheme.

That sounds a good one!! if the retailers want to keep their licence......

where do we sign up for it :yahoo:

... although that is perhaps easier if they arrive by ferry, you check their insurance documents as they arrive - no documents then the car is confiscated and the miscreant is put back on the ferry!! otherwise the above suggestion sounds good to me!! after a good flogging of course! :thumbsup:

I think you misunderstood me...

I mean the foreigners who come across on the back of a lorry, get handed a house and lots of free money to live, then buy a cheap old banger and tear around the streets bumping into cars and people, but not insured to do so!

Good point about the ones who drive here though, that might prevent a few more getting through.

I like the idea of the ANPR system at the fuel pumps, it would probably prevent fuel stations being ripped off too as the offender could be reported and the system would pick them up at the next filling station.

I mean the foreigners who come across on the back of a lorry, get handed a house and lots of free money to live, then buy a cheap old banger and tear around the streets bumping into cars and people, but not insured to do so!

Right!! We'll include them as well :thumbsup:

And another reason

My link

Some interesting comments being made on that article. It seems that France and Norway can manage a decent system that identifies offenders and deals with them accordingly, and manages to keep premiums reasonable.

Our Gov't are more interested in fleecing us for fuel and overcharging on public transport.

I renewed my insurance a couple of months ago... last year it was £228 fully comp. This year they hiked it up by a hundred pounds even though I had made no claims! I phoned them, said I could get a new policy discount cheaper from another insurer and asked if they did a loyalty discount if I stayed with them? Low and behold I was instantly quoted £235... they just try it on to see if you will accept a rediculous price without a quibble! Challenge them, and they will normally be more accomodating! The whole enforced car insurance business is a scandal, its about time HMGov sorted it out.

Another example of 'Rip off Briton!'

DaveH

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links