Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

alloy wheels pitting

Nz

Folks,

I've got a 2001 Sequoia that's a little over a year old, and has about 15000 miles on it. A number of months ago, the alloy wheels began turning blackish closest to the tires. They seem pitted. We had our local auto body shop look at the wheels (after I tried and failed to clean them), and he said they were indeed pitted and that they shouldn't be after so few miles.

I have never driven offroad, and our last winter was very mild. The dealer says this is not a warranty item. The dealer says he can fix it, but will charge us. I've had cars with alloy wheels for over 10 years, and have never had a problem like this. They look lousy. Has anyone else had this problem?

Other that this, the car has had no problems, except one I drove off the lot with. The rear wiper kept jamming on its holder. A trip to the dealer fixed that one.

Many thanks.

i would push this strongly with the dealer or toyota GB..........if you look in the lexus forum,there is a massive amount of wheels being changed no questions asked by lexus because of pitting

mat

• 1 month later...

Corroding alloys comes pretty much standard with most Toyota's / Lexus . Where i work were swapping 2 or 3 sets a week . Im not sure whether you would get any joy out of TGB much asking wont harm .

certainly push for a warranty job!

• 1 month later...

I went back to toyota 15 months later without a receipt and moaned that a shock absorber i bought was leaking... within 5 mins my new shock was on order and will be fitted free of charge when it arrives

i was gobsmacked... i thought i was gonna have a fight on my hands...

Very please with Westover Toyota (Dorset)

also gave me 15% off some other parts.

• 5 weeks later...

The reason your wheels are pitting, is that they have been insufficiently annodised. This can be an expensive process for Toyota to undertake and as a result they will probably be cutting corners to achieve a minimum requirement of coating. Annodising is a process that prevents aluminium from corroding. Therefore, eventually the thin annodised surface, they have applied, will eventually be penetrated, caused by cleaning, stone chips etc which will all contribute to your wheels pitting. Tell Toyota they are talking crap, get your replacement wheels on a warranty and tell them to stop trying to fob you off. IT IS THEIR ISSUE.

another reason they have a bad finish is that the smelting process in Japan for aluminum,isnt quite as good as it is in europe due to factory emmision laws there,so there is still lots of impurities left in the smelted aluminum made in japan

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links