Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E11 Sr Power Gains

PaulinhoT

As I want to do this project car correctly first time around I thought I would ask you all what would be the best way to gain more power from me E11 1.6SR.

Would you all say that a turbo conversion over an engine swap would prove better ? if not what would be a straight forward(ish)engine swap.

Thanks for any links or info...

depends how all out you want to go.

first place to start i think would be some sort of induction K&N or some cone filter and free flowing exhaust system 2.5" maybe?

That sounds good, would you recomend a custom made exhaust or an off the shelf one ? as I can't seem to find any data on before or after fitting exhausts for the E11.

I have looked at buying a large cone filter and making a long arm pipe kit to mount it down behind the front bumper, just need some dry weather to get out there with my tape messure lol.

You'll see minimal gains on that engine with breathing mods, say it costs £500 for a cheap intake and exhaust and you'll see what? 5 maybe even 8 BHP if you're very lucky, totally not worth the cost for the gain

If I were you i'd get a set of cheap lowering springs and some fast road pads

007-1.jpg

This is my SR, it's pretty low now, although I do think the shocks and springs need replacing. I was going to get some nice quality coilovers, just haven't been able to find any yet. I have tried on other cars I've ownded cheapy ones for £300-£400 but I found they caused the car to bounce too much.

The exhaust does look different on my car, just not had enough time to look at it on a ramp, but I will do asap.

I did think about uprated bushes and some super soft tyres, and like you said some better brakes.. I just don't want to make the same mistake I make with a lot of my cars, and thats buying bits, fitting them and finding they offer nothing over what has been done already.

I did think about trying to get the bhp to up and around the same as my old EK9, as that was pretty nippy.. just unsure if the standard engine would do that, or if the costs would just make it silly. If I'm honest I don't really want to spend any more than about £3k on it.. as I've been there once before when I built a track going Pug 205GTI, I put £7k into that car. Don't get me wrong it was mental and drove like a Go-Kart.. but I took it too far and just couldn't drive it on the road lol.

i have attempted to tune the SR's 4A-FE and let me say that it is far easier cheaper and less soul destroying to find another powerplant, be it and old mr2 4A-GE engine or the newer levin's 20v 4A-GE, both of these are relatively painless swaps that the chassis will have no problem taking. I would not advise turboing the 4A-FE as there are more gains to be had and development potential from an engine swap (cheaper in the long run).

nice car mate :thumbsup:

as for the exaust upgrade i would not recommend that you go over 2" for the 1.6L , and remember thats it not all about the bhp but the power to weigth ratio ;)

but i would say that the best bang for the buck is to go for an engine swap.... i would also recommend the 170 hp 20V blacktop 4A-GE from the levin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links