Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo Underseat Sub

Deanw_666

On behalf of HannahGO! (my girlfriend) Has anyone on here got a manual for the underseat subwoofer please?

Also, has anyone else got a Toyota with the underseat sub in their car?

We got the Aygo Go! Today and the bass isn't that brilliant and was wondering if there's a nob for changing the gain or imput wattage or whatever for it.

Thankyou :)

CLICK then look at Page 18.

It looks like the adjusters are on the side that faces forward, so I think you

need to put the seat back as far as you can to get some access to them...

Thankyou very much kind sir!

I think i'll have to take the seat out because it's flat against the subframe bit where the seat bolts onto! Lol.

:)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello and Happy New Year

I bought my wife a Kenwood KSC-SW01 for £100 as an Xmas present. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KSC-SW01-Active-Underseat-Subwoofer/dp/B002U0RSZ8/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

Neither of us are much keen on messing around with the car, so our local car audio guys are charging £75 plus VAT to install.

My wife doesn't seem much convinced that this will make any difference (remarkably, she seems to think the current audio in our Aygo Go is fine, while I think I've heard meatier sound leaking from other people's Dr Dre's on the Tube).

Can anyone provide reassurance that (a) we've got a decent dea (I know, I know, we should install ourselves, by fear of messing up the seats/dash/carpet/electrics rule out us working on it) and (B) will it make a real difference to the sound?

Many thanks

Al

Well, if she's thinking along the likes of a pair of 'normal' 12" subs in the boot which rattle windows in the next street - disappointment lies ahead. Can't talk for the Kenwood but I have Pioneer units in both our Toyotas and they definitely add a substantial bottom end in which will satisfy most balanced listeners. They also keep the sound within the car more, so you don't p other people off so much. I actually have them set about 50% volume most of the time - full on is a little much for my liking most of the time, though in the Aygo at higher speeds it does need more as the car is pretty noisy (being a cheap and nasty runabout :driving: ).

I don't know the Kenwood myself, but its specs are very close to the Pioneer I have myself.

Having a small sub really DOES fill out the car ore, as long as you set it up the right way.

£75 doesn't sound too bad, but you should be able to get it installed for less...

Ta for the reassurance. Well, today is the day of new sub fitting. I left home at 4.30am to walk the 2 hours into work. I finish here at 3pm, so will be home for 4pm (tube, not walking) and hopefully I can persuade Mrs ECFC to take us for a little drive and a listen to the new improved system. Really quite excited.

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning. All this talk about underseat sub has got me thinking and wondering if it's a difficult job to install and more importantly, how much improvement you'll get.

ToyTech have the instructions for the stock sub but is it hard to fit/wire an alternate...?

ToyTech have the instructions for the stock sub but is it hard to fit/wire an alternate...?

Not really. Well, no harder than the 'stock' which I'm sure is just a Badge engineered job anyway.

But it's not for the faint hearted. You really have to get the seat out, use glue/sticky pads/screws and ingenuity to fix the sub firmly in place - they are heavy and will come loose if not well secured. Then take half the dash apart to run wires to the radio and power supplies, and usually the remote (which the stock unit doesn't have).

It takes time and care to do it all properly - I do wonder about some of the 'professional' jobs done for low prices.

Without sounding like a complete !Removed! novice here; but what does an underseat sub actually do and what benefit to the wireless will I get...?

Without sounding like a complete !Removed! novice here; but what does an underseat sub actually do and what benefit to the wireless will I get...?

The problem with most cheaper car audio systems is that the Speakers are a/ small, b/ not very good, c/ not well installed (as regards solid fixing and baffling). The result is a lack of bass.

One fix is to fit better Speakers in place of the OEMs but if the mounting and baffling are poor the improvement may be small.

Another fix is to fit bigger, better, additional Speakers but they can take up a lot of space - fine if you don't mind giving the boot up, but otherwise tricky. They may also need a separate amp to drive them.

The last common fix is the underseat sub(woofer). These comprise (in the better makes at least) a fairly compact and solid chassis that will fit under a seat and contains a single not particularly large speaker and a very powerful amplifier - typically 100-150W. (The physics is fairly simple if you want bass - big speaker with smallish power needed or small speaker with a lot of power.) This device is connected to both stereo channels for it's signal as bass notes are not directional and only one bass speaker (woofer) is needed. (Same principle is used for many home cinema or computer audio systems these days.)

The bass you'll get is not the street shaking thump a pair of 12" woofers filling the boot can give, but is still a huge improvement on something like the Aygo's stock system and without using up much if any of your usable interior space).

The only downsides of these (IMO) are:

a/ They need a substantial supply current (150W @ 12V is over 12A) or you get poor performance and distortion, so the feed and return needs to be good - eg. tapping off the interior light circuit is likely to be a letdown.

b/ The unit under the front seat may take up a bit of toe space for a rear seat passenger and/or get kicked by them.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links