Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drivers Window Replacement

wagbi

Hi, does anyone know how easy/hard it is to replace the drivers side window on my hilux surf?

Someone smashed it on Friday night, and I've got a new -well old/new one, can I do it myself?

Probably the hardest part is figuring how the damn handles etc come off the door panel!

Once you've got the panel off, carefully lift off the inner polythene liner to gain access to the largest of the several apertures in the inner door panel.

Replacing the window is easy enough, a little care required is all. You didn't say whether you had manual or electric window winders.

For manual you will need to remove the winding mechanism, usually three or four small bolts around the handle spindle. The arm of this will be attached to the bottom of the window (or bits of broken window in your case!) this metal "trough" should simply slide off the arm.

You say you have a used replacement...?....then I assume it has this metal piece attached?

Put the glass into the door: at first glance it looks impossible I know, but trust me, it'll go.....probably make the glass vertical, insert the top edge into the largest aperture, hold it there by inserting your other arm through another aperture, & carefully rotate the glass within the door to its correct orientation.

There will be at least one removable glass guide within the door: remove this. Slide the glass into the other guide & raise the glass to about half way up. Support the glass in this position by a piece of 2"x 1" (wood) Refit the lower guide with its felt-like material.

At this stage you should be able to raise & lower the window with your hand: Fully up & down without it sticking.(i.e. no bits of broken glass in the guides!)

Insert the winding mechanism & locate the arm-end roller in the previously mentioned "trough".

Now....raise or lower the glass whilst lining up the handle spindle through its original hole,the bolts are aligned in the same way, or, use the handle to rotate the mechanism until the holes align. Refit the 3or4 bolts.

And that's it really.

Electric window? Basically the same: mechanism out first, then glass in,support glass, then mechanism in & reconnect.

Oh....& vacuum out the broken glass in the bottom of the door!

Good Luck.

Hi, does anyone know how easy/hard it is to replace the drivers side window on my hilux surf?

Someone smashed it on Friday night, and I've got a new -well old/new one, can I do it myself?

Many thanks for the post, but getting the handle soff has proved beyond us! We'll have to call in the professionals!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links