Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Khans Won

Bper

Khan has won the London Mayoral election for a third time.:sad:

• Sad 3

Beggers Belief especially with the knife crime there would not vist London for free.

• Like 3

I'm surprised he did win. Especially given the unpopularity of the ULEZ. To be honest I refuse to visit London anyway, too crowded, rip off prices, criminals everywhere, anti car. 

The knife crime thing is a UK issue I think, we are too soft on crime and too many bleeding hearts out there for criminals. I really wish there was a hard government who would run on a tough on crime mandate. See places like Singapore for how they deal with crime...

• Like 4

Just let Cyker know that the champagne is on offer at Waitrose,he won't be needing it to celebrate ,but sure will to commiserate.

• Haha 4

I was going to say, oh good, anything to annoy Cyker but I see Paul got there first.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, ToyotaFanDriver said:

I'm surprised he did win. Especially given the unpopularity of the ULEZ. To be honest I refuse to visit London anyway, too crowded, rip off prices, criminals everywhere, anti car. 

The knife crime thing is a UK issue I think, we are too soft on crime and too many bleeding hearts out there for criminals. I really wish there was a hard government who would run on a tough on crime mandate. See places like Singapore for how they deal with crime...

Nothing surprises me anymore.  Personally, I can’t stand the sight of the man.  I, too, am no fan of London - last place I would want to visit. 

If the powers-that-be don’t get to grips with crime very soon, I can envisage there becoming a time when Martial Law has to be declared.

• Like 4

TBH while I was hoping for a minor miracle, I'm not surprised he won because as I've said as he didn't really have any competition - The only reason to vote for Susan Hall was to get rid of the ULEZ; Aside from that she was just as much a repulsive candidate. I don't know why the Conservatives fielded such a weak candidate - I can only assume they're assuming things are going to get a lot worse and don't want to be the ones in charge when it does.

I did think it would be closer though - I guess either there aren't as many drivers that car about ULEZ as we'd hoped or there are a lot more KHAAAN! supporters than we thought.

Wonder if I'll need to switch to a bicycle when the per-mile charging comes in...! :fear: 

What do you think I'd get for a slightly used Mk4 only driven by one old lady owner to the shops? :whistling1: :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Is there any limited to the amount of times he can run for Mayor. I think London is going to see some massive changes In the coming years. Pay-Per-Mile being the next cash cow.:angry:

• Like 2

London scooter and bike tax, tax the elderly on mobility scooters :sarcasm

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Bper said:

Is there any limited to the amount of times he can run for Mayor. I think London is going to see some massive changes In the coming years. Pay-Per-Mile being the next cash cow.:angry:

I thought the UK was supposed to be a democratic country.  So how can a mayor impose a local Pay-per-mile tax on drivers when such a tax has not been ratified by parliament to apply countrywide?

Is our country to become a tribal entity where local barons can charge residents with whatever kind of tax they {the barons} care to dream up?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

TBH while I was hoping for a minor miracle, I'm not surprised he won because as I've said as he didn't really have any competition - The only reason to vote for Susan Hall was to get rid of the ULEZ; Aside from that she was just as much a repulsive candidate. I don't know why the Conservatives fielded such a weak candidate - I can only assume they're assuming things are going to get a lot worse and don't want to be the ones in charge when it does.

I did think it would be closer though - I guess either there aren't as many drivers that car about ULEZ as we'd hoped or there are a lot more KHAAAN! supporters than we thought.

Wonder if I'll need to switch to a bicycle when the per-mile charging comes in...! :fear: 

What do you think I'd get for a slightly used Mk4 only driven by one old lady owner to the shops? :whistling1: :laugh: 

Watch out for all the potholes I've got a cycle to try and keep fit but avoiding the potholes feels like someone has put some Witch Hat Cones down 😆 and said 5 points for everyone of them that you miss on you bike ride 😆

• Haha 2

That's my issue with what we call a democracy - It's more like Pick Your Dictator these days; In the past if there was enough public backlash or outcry to some new scheme they'd back down and tone it down or at least try to make it more acceptable

Now more and more seem to be breaking that unspoken covenant - Once they're in they just do what they like and damn what anybody else thinks no matter how many voices or signatures.

IMHO it should be enshrined in law that any thing that is going to have a major effect on the populace should be voted on by the populace - Not necessarily a formal vote like we have just done: We're in the post-information age and virtually everyone has a mobile phone and/or web access so it should be relatively easy to devise a cheaper solution. It doesn't even have to be binding, but must at the very least taken into account.

This would help get people more engaged in politics and the running of our country if they feel they can actually have some useful input, unlike now where the populous is almost completely disconnected from decision-making.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

Watch out for all the potholes I've have got a cycle to try and keep fit but avoiding the potholes feels like someone has put some Witch Hat Cones down 😆 and said 5 points for everyone you miss on you bike ride 😆

You need one of those proper off-road ones with the 2-inch wide knobbly tyres and 23" suspension travel! :laugh: 

I joke, but I do know some hardcore off-road mountain bikers with such things - They don't have any powered parts (Predate most of that!) but have full hydraulic disc brakes and all that - Some of them have bikes that cost more than what I paid for my 2nd Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris put together!! :eek: :laugh: 

So I was only half-joking when I talked about potentially needing to part-ex my Mk4 for a bicycle...! :eek: :laugh: 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

You need one of those proper off-road ones with the 2-inch wide knobbly tyres and 23" suspension travel! :laugh: 

I joke, but I do know some hardcore off-road mountain bikers with such things - They don't have any powered parts (Predate most of that!) but have full hydraulic disc brakes and all that - Some of them have bikes that cost more than what I paid for my 2nd Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris put together!! :eek: :laugh: 

So I was only half-joking when I talked about potentially needing to part-ex my Mk4 for a bicycle...! :eek: :laugh: 

Was thinking really fat tractor like tyres for the bike then again it may be more easy replacing the Yaris with an actual Tractor 🚜 😆

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If you do Cyker, don't forget a go pro camera to record all the incidents carefully edited to include mistakes by the car drivers, and exclude the reckless lemming riding by the cyclists.

Ha ha, I jest of course, the cyclists are on a higher plane of the moral landscape, and can do no wrong.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

If you do Cyker, don't forget a go pro camera to record all the incidents carefully edited to include mistakes by the car drivers, and exclude the reckless lemming riding by the cyclists.

Ha ha, I jest of course, the cyclists are on a higher plane of the moral landscape, and can do no wrong.

Am on both sides now when am in the car the cyclists get it in the neck and when am on my cycle the car drivers get it in the neck 😆😉

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's my issue with what we call a democracy - It's more like Pick Your Dictator these days; In the past if there was enough public backlash or outcry to some new scheme they'd back down and tone it down or at least try to make it more acceptable

Now more and more seem to be breaking that unspoken covenant - Once they're in they just do what they like and damn what anybody else thinks no matter how many voices or signatures.

IMHO it should be enshrined in law that any thing that is going to have a major effect on the populace should be voted on by the populace - Not necessarily a formal vote like we have just done: We're in the post-information age and virtually everyone has a mobile phone and/or web access so it should be relatively easy to devise a cheaper solution. It doesn't even have to be binding, but must at the very least taken into account.

This would help get people more engaged in politics and the running of our country if they feel they can actually have some useful input, unlike now where the populous is almost completely disconnected from decision-making.

Governments control the narrative by selectively releasing information or framing it in a way that aligns with their agenda. This can involve highlighting certain achievements while downplaying failures.Utilising sophisticated communication strategies, governments employ propaganda to shape public opinion. This can involve repetition of key messages, emotional appeals, and demonisation of opposing viewpoints.

Governments often consult behavioral psychologists to understand how to influence public behavior. This can include techniques such as nudging, where subtle cues are used to guide individuals towards desired actions without their explicit awareness.

Governments design policies not only based on public interest but also on how they can be marketed to gain public support. This may involve packaging policies in a way that appeals to specific demographics or exploiting societal fears and insecurities.

Governments may exert influence over media outlets through ownership, regulation, or manipulation. Controlling the narrative in the media can shape public perception and limit alternative viewpoints. During election campaigns, governments and political parties employ various tactics to sway voters, including negative campaigning, misinformation, and targeting specific demographics with tailored messages.

In authoritarian regimes, governments may use surveillance and censorship to suppress dissent and control the flow of information. This limits the ability of citizens to organise and challenge the status quo.

Overall, government manipulation is a complex phenomenon that operates through multiple channels, often with the aim of consolidating power, maintaining control, and furthering the interests of those in positions of authority.☹️

• Like 2

Sadiq Khan secured just over 1,088,000 votes to be re-elected London Mayor, a majority of some 275,000 over Conservative rival Susan Hall.Turnout of London voters was 40.5%.:sad:

• Sad 1

Howard Cox from fair fuel and the Reform Party has said this morning that Sadiq Khan will definitely bring in Pay Per Mile now he has been elected for the third time as London Mayor. Apparently they are offering positions within the new department set up specially for this purpose salaries over £60,000 a year.:sad:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bper said:

Howard Cox from fair fuel and the Reform Party has said this morning that Sadiq Khan will definitely bring in Pay Per Mile now he has been elected for the third time as London Mayor. Apparently they are offering positions within the new department set up specially for this purpose salaries over £60,000 a year.:sad:

Well thank god I don't live near or go to that cesspit of a capital, such a shame that London has so much to offer, food, entertainment, hobbies 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links