Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2Nd Service (Major)

adamc260

Been quoted £276.85 by my local Toyota Dealership for a 1.33 Auris TR (2009). Sound reasonable or wildly expensive?

Seems expensive.

My service plan for the first two services cost £ 306.60.

Problem I've got is all the local Toyota dealerships (although great) are all Toyota World and have similar pricing plans ... =/

Hard to say really... from when I had my TSport I would say that figure was around what each service seemed to cost.

The 1.33 uses (and Toyota imply they use) a very expensive 0/20 grade oil.

I took a 7 year service plan out on my Auris 1.33 and pay approx £15 month(now, higher VAT) which worked out to £1186 for 7 years/70K for all services which includes such things as brake fluid changes etc and all MOT's

Mines in this Friday all being well...

Toyota quoted me £302 for my 4th service, much of the stuff is pointless such as £2 for washer fluid, £6 for new fob batteries etc etc.... yet no transmission oils or coolant are changed in it and they class it as a major service. :ffs:

Added up what it would cost me to do and it came to £140 with £50 of it going on fresh oil. Just means I dont get a dealer stamp but i know exactly whats been replaced.

My second year service came to £188.92 last year but that was after i told them i didn't want the brake fluid changed which saved in the region of approx £55 , my car had done just over 9.000 miles at the time , looking at the goods / services list they haven't done much more than an oil change in all reallity , of which they have charged £40.04 for the oil alone : 5/30 oil , QTY 4.40 , unit price £9.10 each = 40.04 + vat . Oil filter £7.99 + vat , GSKT Drain Plug £0.99 + vat , Plug £3.66 + vat = £61.89 inclusive of vat at 17.5% . Add to that a few other bits and pieces plus environmental disposal at £9.00 +vat and the grand total for goods / services comes to £104.32 inclusive now add to that £72 + vat for what looks like labour, gives a grand total of £188.92 .

My car go's in for its three year 30.000 mile service on Thursday , they have quoted me £169.00 for the service and £27.50 for the M.O.T , i also have to fork out another £89.00 for them to supply and fit the mirror glass on my o/s door after some prat travelling in the opposite direction swerved and hit my door mirror with theirs, cracking the glass :ffs:

Been quoted £276.85 by my local Toyota Dealership for a 1.33 Auris TR (2009). Sound reasonable or wildly expensive?

I think the price is OK as for Toyota dealer. I November I was quoted £245 for 4th service (which I believe is similar to 2nd), 1.6 VVT-i, including brake fluid change.

It seems Toyota are making up their money on servicing. It would be interesting to see a break down of costs.

As some of you might know i now drive a different car, it's German and they are generally quite pricey. But for example a recent service included an oil change (9 litres of oil!), oil filter, air filter and air con filter, vehicle check (inspection of all parts like brakes, suspension arms, bushes etc) all for £260 with top notch Fuchs oil which i supplied.

But the thing is, my oil is not due to be changed for 2 years. Vehicle check is not due to 3 years (that cost £70) and my air filter wont be due the next service, neither will the air con filter although it is recommended but it's only £14.

Once you factor in the scheduling it works out at about £120 a year, paid every 2 - 3 years. The only thing left for servicing is my brakes. Due in 6,000 are my rears with discs might be about £300. My front's due in 14,000, same cost. But they have lasted 45,000-50,000 miles.

It seems Toyota are making up their money on servicing.

to be fair that's pretty much true of all marques now.

Same as when I used to sell office equipment for a major manufacturer where the service side was more profitable than the sales side.

Having said that if you shop around & if you can supply your own oil you can make major savings.

My last service cost less than half at one Toyota dealer (that I'm happy with) than what it would have at another.

Interestingly that dealer doesn't seperately charge for screenwash either these days (although I guess it's probably built-in somewhere).

& for peace of mind I would still want the car checked over once a year even if the service schedule didn't call for it.

Is it worth asking when it goes in on the day if they're changing the brake fluid? And if so my car has only done 15k miles in 2 years, would it need this replacing?

Brake fluid isn't a change that needs doing due to mileage, its an item that has a shelf life as it absorbs moisture, so 2 years is the recommendation for a brake fluid change, even if you have covered 60,000 miles in that time.

Its an expensive job, but when you consider how much you rely on your brakes, its worth paying for.

Ah right no problem :) I'll just pay the price, would rather know the car is all ok, small price to pay for me being able to stop!

As much as i hate paying a huge amount of money for such a small amount of fluid, its peace of mind knowing that the brakes should work.

I'm the same with tyres. I have about 2-3000 miles of tread left on my front wheels before they reach the legal limit, but they are not great tyres to start with so i will be buying some Toyo's to replace them. They aren't cheap, but i know they are excellent and have complete faith in them, so its worth the extra money IMO.

Most workshops have a meter that measures the moisture content in the fluid reservoir to help determine if it needs replacing.

Must give credit to Vantage Toyota for not always doing unneccessary work... even when I used to ask (an open invitation surely) they reported back after a service that such and such was not required this time. Same when it came to brake pads and discs... they are fine (last car, owned 8 yr and 70 K Tsport), maybe just pads next time... discs are fine.

Brake fluid depends so much on conditions car has been used in, whether garaged in the dry etc etc.

many years ago (sound like uncle Albert)i read an article about water in brake fluides.

the fluide attracts water,and i always assumed that the water could get into the system was through the breather hole in the reservoir cap.but this article,which i think was by Girling,stated that it was absorbed through the brake hoses.which sounds amazing when you think how much preesure a brake hose has to contain under heavy braking without leaking.yet water can get in under atmospheric pressure.

Most workshops have a meter that measures the moisture content in the fluid reservoir to help determine if it needs replacing.

Brake fluid depends so much on conditions car has been used in, whether garaged in the dry etc etc.

Couldn't agree more , my Brakes are excellent , no problems at all , if i still have the car next year i will have the fluid changed then .

Toyota quoted me £302 for my 4th service,.... yet no transmission oils or coolant are changed in it and they class it as a major service.....

Not sure whose doing your servicing but if they are doing a major service & NOT cahnging the oil then you need to go elsewhere. Oil & filter should be changed every 10 k

to the above not true........read your service sheet.......

brake fluid every two years

40k check manual gear box oil......it will get topped up if req,,

as for the coolant its 100k before it needs changed..

to the above not true........read your service sheet.......

brake fluid every two years

40k check manual gear box oil......it will get topped up if req,,

as for the coolant its 100k before it needs changed..

Oooops, scanned over "transmission". I, of course was referring to engine oil change :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links