Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Onboard Computer

Kuro

Ok what with fuel prices going through the roof and myself about to start a new job which involves a 70 mile commute I just wondered how accurate the computer on my 2.0 T4 Tourer is.

I put £65 in the tank today and expected to see a range of around 350 miles on the readout. To my horror it was only reading 290 miles.

I have done the work journey a few times while going for the interviews and I was getting about 35mpg average. I worked it out that at 35mpg I should be getting about 380 miles to £65. If I go by the computer it means the car is only doing 26 mpg. What is wrong here?

Firstly dont count how much amount of petrol you put in the car. So always calculate from liters.

Rest about the trip computer, if you have reset the ECU, or disconnected the Battery and reconnected it, or if it was parked for long time, most of settings would reset.

In that case car gives you minimum readings, and after 5-10 refills, car store your driving behaviour and based on 5-10 refills mileage, you would get appropriate readings.

Hope it helps.

Ok what with fuel prices going through the roof and myself about to start a new job which involves a 70 mile commute I just wondered how accurate the computer on my 2.0 T4 Tourer is.

I put £65 in the tank today and expected to see a range of around 350 miles on the readout. To my horror it was only reading 290 miles.

I have done the work journey a few times while going for the interviews and I was getting about 35mpg average. I worked it out that at 35mpg I should be getting about 380 miles to £65. If I go by the computer it means the car is only doing 26 mpg. What is wrong here?

Hi mate, apart from the range guesstimate by the computer everything else seems to be spot on with my computer. You will get the 380 miles not the 290 miles so don't worry. You can reset most settings on the computer by the steering wheel controls, scroll though then hold the button in for a couple of seconds to clear figures to zero for that part, say the mpg or running time.

Pete.

• Like 1

The computer normally resets itself when you fill the tank anyway. Mine normally reads 390 miles when the tank is full.

The best thing to try is fill the tank, do 100 miles and then fill it to the top again and work out how many mpg you're getting by calculating it from the number of litres it took to fill up.

If you calculate it as being really low then there is obviously a problem somewhere.

I have found my Auris to be very accurate with the overall MPG readings, but miles out (literally) on the range estimation.

My Auris always claims to have 390 miles available from a full tank, but i ALWAYS get 300 miles before i reach the half tank mark, and it normally estimates another 190 miles left, which isn't too far out, but still low.

As others have said, fill the tank to the brim (put the fuel cap on as a cork), reset the trip computer and drive normally. On your next fill up, make a note of the mileage and how many litres you need to fill the car back up to the brim again, and you will now have an accurate measure of your MPG and a good idea of how your car is performing.

You can use this website to work out your MPG if you can't be bothered with the maths side of it:

http://www.guycroft.clara.net/utils/mpg.html

Also, if you have a smart phone you can probably get a free application to track your MPG.

:thumbsup:

I'm just about to get a t4 tourer in 9 days, must admit though, I was hoping for a better range figure than the 380 miles, thought one would get more around the mid 400s...

can anyone here advise what the range actually is per tank when on the

motorway and when driving through town?

regards

Rob

I'm just about to get a t4 tourer in 9 days, must admit though, I was hoping for a better range figure than the 380 miles, thought one would get more around the mid 400s...

regards

Rob

Hi Rob, don't be to concerned if you are getting a diesel model as you will get 450 - 600+ miles per tank depending on your driving style and whether it's all town or motorway, I don't know what to expect from the 2.0ltr petrol engine.

I have the 2.2 D4D150 and my best is 62mpg on a 200 mile motorway/A road run to the worst 38 mpg all town driving. Short runs in cold weather has a very negative on mpg as the diesel car takes an age to warm up in winter.

Just out of interest the wifes 1.3SR Yaris only does 40mpg around town so I think my Avensis 2.2D4D does quite well at around 38 mpg :yes:.

Pete.

regards

Rob

Are you on about the petrol?

I get 380 miles to a tank at worse, but that only requires 50 litres to fill back up. I've had 410 miles at best. So that varies between 35mpg and 37mpg, not that bad for a big heavy petrol car. I do about 70% motorway driving though.

regards

Rob

Are you on about the petrol?

I get 380 miles to a tank at worse, but that only requires 50 litres to fill back up. I've had 410 miles at best. So that varies between 35mpg and 37mpg, not that bad for a big heavy petrol car. I do about 70% motorway driving though.

Started the job today. Reset the computer but still only averaged 34/35 mpg and this was at 70mph on the A38 devon expressway all the way to exeter with no town driving at all.

Will post again at the end of the week to see if I get more than the estimated range.

Well fortunately the computer estimate of 290 miles is wrong.

I have covered 360 miles with about 15 miles left in the tank. I havent filled up yet so I dont know if the readout will adjust itself.

I suppose 34/35mpg is not too bad for such a big car. The strange thing is that economy seems better at 80/85 at just over 3000rpm rather than labouring at 70 under 3000rpm. Its almost like the engine is optomised for travelling at the higher speed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links