Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ist Service. What Oil Does Your Invoice Say Was Used ?

Mooly

Had first 10k service carried out yesterday and a first for me in that I'm on a service plan.

Thinking about it afterward it seems the "invoice" is sent to the company running the plan, so as a customer I don't get a copy, just the stamp in the book and a printout/safety check detailing service carried out but no actual details of parts etc used.

A big point that was made when I bought the car and was enquiring into servicing costs, was that the 1.33 uses a "special" 0/20 grade oil (I read somewhere this oil pushed the emmisions down a fraction into a lower band, as well as bettering economy). The servicing price on the 1.33 petrol was actually higher than the 1.4 diesel for this very reason. When I asked whether an oil change was advised at say 2k I was told no, and in any case it's nearly £80 just for an oil/filter change (due to the oil).

So yesterday I asked when I collected the car what oil was used... and the service manager looked at the worksheet which showed 5w30 semi synthetic.

In the past with my previous car which was dealer serviced I always wondered over this. I used to ask for full synthetic, often the invoice just showed "Shell helix Semi", sometimes crossed out and handwritten across "Fully Synth"

I'm sure the oil used is fully suitable... it's just one of those really niggly things that annoys me. Do Toyota actually specify what must be used or is it up to the dealer ?

Had first 10k service carried out yesterday and a first for me in that I'm on a service plan.

Thinking about it afterward it seems the "invoice" is sent to the company running the plan, so as a customer I don't get a copy, just the stamp in the book and a printout/safety check detailing service carried out but no actual details of parts etc used.

A big point that was made when I bought the car and was enquiring into servicing costs, was that the 1.33 uses a "special" 0/20 grade oil (I read somewhere this oil pushed the emmisions down a fraction into a lower band, as well as bettering economy). The servicing price on the 1.33 petrol was actually higher than the 1.4 diesel for this very reason. When I asked whether an oil change was advised at say 2k I was told no, and in any case it's nearly £80 just for an oil/filter change (due to the oil).

So yesterday I asked when I collected the car what oil was used... and the service manager looked at the worksheet which showed 5w30 semi synthetic.

In the past with my previous car which was dealer serviced I always wondered over this. I used to ask for full synthetic, often the invoice just showed "Shell helix Semi", sometimes crossed out and handwritten across "Fully Synth"

I'm sure the oil used is fully suitable... it's just one of those really niggly things that annoys me. Do Toyota actually specify what must be used or is it up to the dealer ?

although toyota sell their own brand of oil,the dealers can use what they like as long as it meets the spec for the engine.mine did use Castrol,but now use Mobil.

i am pretty sure what ever a dealer uses it will be a quality oil.it would be more than its worth for them to do otherwise.toyota would be down on them like a ton of bricks.

Hi acetip... I'm sure you're right in saying they will use a quality oil.

What wrangles most was that I was constently told the 1.33 used a special oil, and that this would actually be used for servicing.

That was one of their main "selling points" of the service plan... and why it was such good value when an oil and filter change alone would be "around £80".

I just wondered what folk actually had on their service print outs as the type of oil used etc.

None of my invoices state which brand of oil was used only the type , just had my 3rd year service carried out and as before a 5/30 oil was used priced at £32.76 +Vat = £39.31

They charged £72 + Vat for Labour , the service cost £169 all in .

Hi acetip... I'm sure you're right in saying they will use a quality oil.

What wrangles most was that I was constently told the 1.33 used a special oil, and that this would actually be used for servicing.

That was one of their main "selling points" of the service plan... and why it was such good value when an oil and filter change alone would be "around £80".

I just wondered what folk actually had on their service print outs as the type of oil used etc.

know what you mean.

the toyota dealer where i purchased my car use 5w 40, but toyota recommend 5w 30 for it.(1.6 auris vvti)

but my local t does use the 5w 30.and for some other models they use 0w 20.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links