Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1Kz Te Oil Burn On Prado 1999

Arjuna

I own a LC Prado KZJ95 with 1KZ TE 3.0 turbo diesel engine 115000 KMs. The engine has good power but it occasionally gives white/blue smoke on quick pickup. I know it is an oil burn problem because it consumes about 1.5L for 5000Kms.

My mechanic says that we need to replace the oil rings and there is no need for a complete overhaul. He does not suspect any turbo bearing leak. I doubt the EGR since blocking that off did not reduce smoke or oil consumption. I am wondering about the following and need some second opinion from members who got similar experience...

Is this good advice to replace the rings - should I not go for an overhaul?

How do I know that it is not the Turbo that is leaking oil to breather?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards

AN

I own a LC Prado KZJ95 with 1KZ TE 3.0 turbo diesel engine 115000 KMs. The engine has good power but it occasionally gives white/blue smoke on quick pickup. I know it is an oil burn problem because it consumes about 1.5L for 5000Kms.

My mechanic says that we need to replace the oil rings and there is no need for a complete overhaul. He does not suspect any turbo bearing leak. I doubt the EGR since blocking that off did not reduce smoke or oil consumption. I am wondering about the following and need some second opinion from members who got similar experience...

Is this good advice to replace the rings - should I not go for an overhaul?

How do I know that it is not the Turbo that is leaking oil to breather?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Regards

AN

hello AN

the matter is you should investigate this issue from all sides but not be focused on scraper rings. The turbo is easy to test thanks to it is attached to the engine. The possible reasons are:

- air filter

- oil seals belong to turbocharger

- bearings worn down (turbocharger)

- valves oil seal rings wear down

cheers/Igor

• 1 month later...

Take the intake (air) pipes of the Turbo and see if there is any oil in there? :wacko:

Check intake circuit for signs of oil, quite easy to take of and check.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links