Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Tns350 Satnav Comes Without Cd Deck

jornsan

TNS350 SatNav  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about TNS350 SatNav not having a CD deck?

• Fine for me, I am an iPod rather than a CD user
    • NOK, I definitely need a CD deck in my Car Audio
    • Don't know

Hello,

new Toyota 2DIN SatNav option TNS350 comes without a CD deck! (YouTube link below)

What's your opinion, does enhanced iPod connectivity make up for dismissing CDs from the car?

Cheers,

jornsan

TNS350 Video on YouTube:

Hello,

new Toyota 2DIN SatNav option TNS350 comes without a CD deck! (YouTube link below)

What's your opinion, does enhanced iPod connectivity make up for dismissing CDs from the car?

Cheers,

jornsan

TNS350 Video on YouTube:

The IQ 2011 brochure which I have had for a couple of months, on page 37, shows the new IQ fitted with the TNS510 system which includes the CD player as at present.

Are all new IQs to be fitted with the TNS350 now, which makes the brochure wrong?

I don't really mind either way but the brochure should be accurate.

Must have a look to see if the latest, latest brochure has been changed.

Hello,

Cheers,

jornsan

TNS350 Video on YouTube:

The IQ 2011 brochure which I have had for a couple of months, on page 37, shows the new IQ fitted with the TNS510 system which includes the CD player as at present.

Are all new IQs to be fitted with the TNS350 now, which makes the brochure wrong?

I don't really mind either way but the brochure should be accurate.

Must have a look to see if the latest, latest brochure has been changed.

I must admit, I like this more than the old 510. My new iQ is due to land any day now, hopefully I'll get the new 350 system in mine? I ordered in late Feb...

Assuming the proposed delivery dates are not completely fictional after the awful events in Japan, I hope to get my new IQ in June/July, and I think I prefer the new TNS350 sat.nav/audio unit too.

Maybe Iqs will come with the TNS 510 and it may be possible to "upgrade" to the TNS 350 at a later date. If it is a superior system....and is worth the small fortune that the upgrade would cost...

I have the TNS 510 and it's quite a good unit once you get use to it. I would not waste £900 on an upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

My problem with this is, not everybody cares about Apple products.

• 2 years later...

Oh, does the tNS350 come with DAB? That would be great. I'm getting my car in 3 weeks, can't wait to try it out.

Think the TNS350 is 'DAB ready', rather than having a DAB tuner built in - http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BA02C9BAD-5F06-20AB-C080-BC3E2B835F06%7D/GENII_EN_WEB_AOM_001_382_0_PZ49X00334EN.pdf

The second generation Touch & Go (available 2014) won't have a CD Player as standard due to the screen size. Owners will have the option of purchasing a separate CD player which (depending on the car) will be housed either inside the glove box or at the side of the centre console - http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/148675-touch-go-next-generation-no-cd-player/

Most people now use I pod, so CD's are slowly becoming extinct in my view, I use an Apple I Pod Mini in my IQ with 1800 music tracks on it how can that match messing with 100's of CDs !

Yeah, but, though, but, NO But! No, not a good idea really. Many people do not have or want an i-Pod. Many like living in the past and want 8-track or tape decks and that bird with the pointy beak in the Flintstones playing a rock record -no pun intended... okay, so it was intended!

Personally, I like the idea of being able to connect an MP3 player or via USB a memory stick with loads of your favourite tracks on it however, when you play said music off USB device -for example, does it remember where you stopped listening to your last track next time you switch on the music device? If not, I'll stick with the trusty old CD player, ta very much!

Even if they are a faff at times of changing them, you don't have to wait long for your favourite track. What if your favourite track on your ipod is in the middle, or somewhere else on it? Do the controls on the steering wheel control the ipod? Or for that matter, one's other MP3 device? Hmmm? Come on... an-swers on a postcard.

Imagine Bob Kneale if your most favoured track is number 1003, how quickly can you get to it?

On my modern cars I use either a Connects 2 system with charge/cradle/connectivity, through the changer system or a Parrot if there are compatibility issues. In the case of the IQ, I use a Parrot MKI9200, which serves me well as my "replacement" CD player, as well as being my charger, sat nav and hands free system. In my older stuff, I tend to use CD more rarely these days, as its easier, if its equipped with FM to use a transmitter and keep the original look of the dash. As for the CD player on the IQ, I have only used it once to make sure it worked, its nice to have as a back up, but will be as obsolete as a casette player in less time than you want to think.

I dont think that the omission of a CD player is a bad thing as long as additional connectivity is supported.

I use a Samsung Galaxy S Wifi (8Gb with 32 Gb micro SD card) or an 8Gb USB memory stick in the Auris. The Galaxy S provides space for over 9000 tracks, although currently using approx. 20% of the available memory.

My iQ has the input for an external source and I have an iPhone but don't use it as it does flatten the phone Battery a bit quicker and I don't really like trailing cables around the car.

My iQ has the standard stereo, not the SatNav version so I do use CD's all the time but the stereo can read MP3 files from a CDR so I record a disc occasionally using the files from my itunes library with about 10 albums on one CD then, play that in the car. Just like having a multi CD player in the car but only one disc. :)

Craig.

I can tell you everything you need to know about a Tns 350. I replaced my tns 510 for a 350 over a year ago.

It does integrate into Apple products without the need of the the ipod kit. iPhone 5 will not play video

Microphone is integrated into the front housing and thus is far away from the driver and picks up a lot of background noise. ( although it could be my twin exhaust) lol

Plus things. Audio is much better and supports traffic camera's and road speed display. Dab is still an expensive add on and an aerial stuck to your windscreen

David

David, when using the NAV on the TNS350 can you change your destination using the touchscreen with the engine running and moving (you can on BMWs)?

Yes you can. The only thing you cant do is watch a film whilst moving. Well not strictly true. I have been ( with a little mod) been able to and stream youtube. For my passenger of course and just to see if i can. Hate being dictated to.

David

One thing i forgot to mention. If you want to stream or play video from your iPhone into the 350, you have to buy another lead. It has the usual Apple connector one end and a USB the other end along with a 3.5mm jack plug. Just to complicate things further. I have found that it doesnt work with iphones that have newer firmware. I.e ver 5 and above. It works on my iPhone 4 ver 4.3 which i keep at that version because of a jailbreak. It will not work to play video on an iPhone 5 using a lightning to "normal " adaptor. For 2 reasons, the video is not streamed out of the lightning connector even if you were to convert it and the firmware started at ver6.0 from day one. Now it could be that the new 350 may have newer firmware and will run the newer phone firmwares. Will be interesting to see. Had lots of wrangling with Toyota over it. Unbelievably, all they would say is " sorry sir but your car has a Tns510 in it and it doesnt support it. They even asked for photo's which i sent. I had other augments with them as to why we have the tns 510 and yet on the net it shows all the features of the 350 in an iQ. They said that, that was for Europe only. I said well on my last look we were in Europe. So then said. Why is in the 350 in iQ"s in Ireland? " They are in Europe sir" was the reply. So then i pointed out the extra safety features of the 350. I.e traffic safety camera alerts and road speed indicator. I put it to them that by not offering a 350 instead of a 510 that Toyota were saying the Uk were lesser respected to the point of raceism They put the phone down. They also claimed that Toyota believe that people in the Uk want a CD player. I pointed out there is nowhere to store 30 CD's and technology evolves by the minute. All fell on deaf ears. Now a year later they install the 350 as standard upgrade. Give up

David

Of course another safety feature the 350 has over the 510 is That you are not presenting to the buyer the opportunity to being distracted buy keep on having to change and look for another CD every 16 or so tracks. When with another hat on the law doesnt allow you to answer a phone call are you expected to pull over every 30mins to change a CD. Strange laws where you cant scroll op and down phone number lists on a cradled phone but you can search and type in post codes etc on a satnav Sorry high horse. Actually the answer is simple. Satnav sales is big business. They would not legislate and put them out of business. Oh and you can drive around whit a deafening 5KW sound system in a car that must be seriously distracting, but thats ok its not a phone

David

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links