Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air Conditoning

Phil_1985

I don't think it matters that mine is the dual zone climate control version, but, does the air con compressor on the Auris make that 'click' sound when it engages like most other cars? If it does, then my air con doesn't work and I'll need to investigate.

Thanks!

I don't think it matters that mine is the dual zone climate control version, but, does the air con compressor on the Auris make that 'click' sound when it engages like most other cars? If it does, then my air con doesn't work and I'll need to investigate.

Thanks!

Select "cold". Overide the "auto" setting. If you get cold then it's working! I hann't heard a clicking sound ever. Hope this helps

thanks for your reply bruce, I've tried that, but because the current weather is neither cold or warm, I can't really tell at the moment!

thanks for your reply bruce, I've tried that, but because the current weather is neither cold or warm, I can't really tell at the moment!

You should be able to tell even in this weather. When the air con is on it should come out super cold from the vents? It might need a re-gas. You can buy a kit off eBay for about £20 or Halfords for £50. It has a simple gauge that plugs into the "L" (Low port) off one of the pipes that lead to the air con compressor under the bonnet. Dead easy to use and gas if needed. Its called EzChill. Its a R134 refrigerant with a lube oil for the compressor and a leak sealer.

eBay Item number: 160566015465 £20.99

:thumbsup:

It appears to be a bit colder, but not ice cold? I already have one one from Halfords, problem is it's usually measured in weight, whereas the EzChill one measures in pressure... I guess it'll be a case of trial and error!

It appears to be a bit colder, but not ice cold? I already have one one from halfords, problem is it's usually measured in weight, whereas the EzChill one measures in pressure... I guess it'll be a case of trial and error!

Why not take it to one of the big outlets like National, Halfords ect. There was an offer a while ago for a free test and £49.99 to re-gas.

You should be able to tell even in this weather. When the air con is on it should come out super cold from the vents? It might need a re-gas. You can buy a kit off eBay for about £20 or Halfords for £50. It has a simple gauge that plugs into the "L" (Low port) off one of the pipes that lead to the air con compressor under the bonnet. Dead easy to use and gas if needed. Its called EzChill. Its a R134 refrigerant with a lube oil for the compressor and a leak sealer.

eBay Item number: 160566015465 £20.99

:thumbsup:

the pipe mentioned by mistermena to re gas the system should be ice cold to touch when the air con is running,i have the dual zone climate and mine has never made the click noise you describe, and my air con works fine(my last car a nissan almera made the noise you describe when i turned the air con on )

?? If you cannot feel cold air from the face vents (when selected) then I would think there is an issue with your aircon.

Personally I'd settle for the dealer to sort it rather than Halfords etc. Ask for a qoute, you may be surprised, they were running offers last summer on checks

I think that Kwick fit do aircon regassing, and f they don't detect a drop in temp after they have finished, then you don't pay for the service.

Not sure how much it costs, i've never had to get a re-gas done, but it might be worth looking at their website.

The click you refer too is normally the aircon compressor clutch disengaging.

I would normally say I would expect to hear it but now you've mentioned it, I dont recall hearing it on ours, but our aircon does work.

That said, im not sure if I'd hear it above the sound of the engine!

Another way to tell, on a warm-ish day, start up the car and just leave it running for 10 mins, or go for a drive around the block and park up, if there's a wet patch under the car, your aircon is working and its taking the moisture out of the air and dumping it on the ground.

Hope that helps :)

some have complained that their aircon on coldest setting does not appear as cold other cars they have owned.

my auris is like that,but seems to work ok (duel).

when i took the car in for its 30000 mile service,the last one before warranty was finished. i mentioned this to the service manager,he said they could check it out, but it would cost me over £70 to connect it to the machine.

so declined the generous offer.

they did other checks without using the machine,and said it seemed ok.

Most dealers will do an A/C service for around £50 I am not a fan of DIY re-gas, it is a half hearted measure and usually ends up bodged up :rolleyes:

An A/C service recovers the old gas, recycles it, the correct amount of gas AND OIL is then put in the system. A before and after temperature is taken when we do it, each technician has a thermometer. Most of the time, when a car needs an A/C service, the temperature is usually above 10 C, Anyting below this and it is running efficiently, it is usually 7 or 8 C. To check the temperature, you should have it running for 5 minutes or so, on recirculate, with the blower on number 3 at least

A/C should be run every week, just for a few minutes, even in winter, just to circulate the gas and oil, which lubricates the seals so the system does not leak out the gas

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll investigate further on the weekend when I've got more time - tried the AC again today, it definitely wasn't ice cold with the fan on speed 2 - I assume it hasn't had an AC service since new in 2007, so it may just be low on gas.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll investigate further on the weekend when I've got more time - tried the AC again today, it definitely wasn't ice cold with the fan on speed 2 - I assume it hasn't had an AC service since new in 2007, so it may just be low on gas.

I think you need to forget the "icecold" bit. If you are expecting an arctic blast forget it

The worst car i ever had, incidently had the best aircon i've ever had.

I owned a 307 many years ago, and one very hot summer in cornwall i started the car and left it running with the aircon on coldest. When i came back to it 5 mins later, there was condensation on my breath like a winter morning. It was !Removed! good aircon, but a god awful car. I suppose you can't have it all...

I think you need to forget the "icecold" bit. If you are expecting an arctic blast forget it

Yes my point exactly.......7-9 C would be normal, over 10 and it needs looking at

Kingo :thumbsup:

Today I started the car and got someone to listen out for the click of the clutch engaging the compressor while I turned the temp dial to MIN and se

switched ON the A/C.

I was most surprised that there was no audible noise at all even though the engine is as quiet as a mouse. First car I have encountered this with. And I've had a few with A/C.

The A/C does work BTW.

In this case the only way to check if the A/C works is to do what has already been suggested. Ensure the Climate control is set to MIN temp and run engine for 5 to ten minutes or miles. If you have the option ensure the fan is set to max. If car is not cold by then need a pro to check it out.

Be aware that there are pressure switches that will turn off the clutch to ensure the compressor is protected in the event of loss of gas pressure.

If the A/C loses gas then most reputable refrigderation engineers will regas with a dye which will enable any system leaks to be identified.

Hope this helps a bit.

Krait

When the compressor engages with the engine idling the revs should increase slightly... you can also "feel" the compressor run (1.33Auris) by lightly holding a finger on the gear knob and sense the different vibration. There isn't the loud click like on previous cars I have had when the magnetic clutch engages. Lift the bonnet and the return pipework to the compressor should be wet with condensation and (again 1.33) the dryer cannister (a metal bulge in pipe) should be icy cold. The temperature from the vents seems to get colder the hotter the outside air... something I noticed on my TSport too. When I first got that car (this time of year) I too wondered if the AC was working correctly as I expected that sharp icy feel to the air and there wasn't.

thanks for all the replies everyone, I'm due to have a quick check today, I might try and use a 'probe' type food thermometer to try and measure the air temperature! As long as it's cooling the air a bit, I'll be fine with that... I'll wait until the temperature warms up a bit more and then decide whether to take it for a service or not.

According to the car, the ambient temperature was 14 degrees.

Temperature measurements taken at the centre vent, fresh air for AC off, recirculated air for AC on.

AC off 19.4 degrees

AC on 9.2 degrees

For comparison, measured the air temp on a 2009 Megane straight after, and that was AC off 19.6 degrees, AC on 3.8 degrees.

To conclude, I think I'll get it serviced in the coming months!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links