Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealer Adamant About 5/30 Oil For Gen3

markleigh

Posting this from phone so difficult to search older postings so apologies for duplication. My local authorised dealer says oil for Gen3 Prius is def 5/30 not 0/20 - they have checked latest service bulletin. Is there a definitive answer as I've heard so much conflicting advice!

Yours, confused of Surrey.

PS. They have said they can't supply 0/20 in any case

Take it to another dealers then.... Prius Gen 3. MUST repeat MUST be fed with 0w-20 at the earliest opportunity if 5w-30 is used as an emergency.

Read the handbook and then either take the handbook or quote it verbatim. I can't tell you the page number as it's in the car,

To confirm 0w-20 is the ONLY oil to be used in the gen3, no argument, that is a fact.

Agreed. Find another dealer. There are plenty of them.

Ask them to show you the service bulletin stating 5/30 oil, then when they presumably can't produce it write a letter of complaint to Toyota UK

Posting this from phone so difficult to search older postings so apologies for duplication. My local authorised dealer says oil for Gen3 Prius is def 5/30 not 0/20 - they have checked latest service bulletin. Is there a definitive answer as I've heard so much conflicting advice!

Ask if you can read the Toyota service bulletin. ;) The last instructions from Toyota GB that we are aware of in this group, and it has been repeated often, is that the Gen 3 requires Ow-20 oil and the Gen 2 requires 5w-30 oil.

A 5w-30 oil won't damage your engine, but for some reason the 1.8L engine is more sensitive MPG wise to the "wrong" grade of oil from what Gen 3 owners have reported. With my Gen 2 I don't think I see any difference between 0w-30 (not a typo I meant 30 as that was what the local dealer used on my first service) and 5w-30.

Ask them to show you the service bulletin stating 5/30 oil, then when they presumably can't produce it write a letter of complaint to Toyota UK

I don't doubt that there is a service bulletin, but I do doubt what the dealer employee claims is written on the bulletin.

Hi why not supply your own oil (available form Opie oils)and have them deduct the cost of the oil from the bill.

Other than searching through previous posts on this forum to find an actual transcript of the relevant service buletin (which is there somewhere) you could also contact Toyota UK and ask them. You can use 5w30 oil in the gen 3 BUT only if you want your mpg's to dive and your driving performance to reduce too. My dealers used it on the first 10k service and the car was dreadful to drive. It was hesitant and 'stumbled' when the engine kicked it and performance in Power mode was sapped. I believe someone has correctly stated earlier that 5w30 can but used as an emergency measure but should be replaced with 0w20 asap.

The dealers have to order the 0w20 oil in specially and probably can't be bothered as it's expensive too. I believe a lot of the newer Toyotas now require it (the IQ does) and if they're a small dealership or an arrogant one they probably just try and fob you off.

Shame 'PartsKing' isn't around to give a Toyota dealer slant on this thread. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Checked with another dealer who also stated 5/30 and referred me to the handbook... Just checked and it does say 5/30

Thanks. Checked with another dealer who also stated 5/30 and referred me to the handbook... Just checked and it does say 5/30

Hmmm, the service sheet they'll have shown you is for a XW20 (or gen 2) Prius and not the XW30 (or gen 3).

Page 546 of the handbook states exactly the following (and I'm sure Toyota don't mind me quoting them in this instance oh and make note of the section Recommended Viscosity);

Engine oil selection

"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to satisfy the following grade and viscosity.

Oil grade:

0W20, 5W20, 5W30 and 10W30:

API grade SL "Energy-Conserving", SM "Energy-Conserving" or ILSAC multigrade engine oil

15W40 and 20W50

API grade SL or SM multigrade engine oil

Recommended viscosity (SAE):

SAE 0W20 is filled into your Toyota vehicle at manufacturing, and the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.

If SAE 0W20 oil is not available, SAE 5W30 oil may be used. However, it should be replaced with SAE 0W20 at the next oil change.

If you use SAE 10W30 or a higher viscosity engine oil in extremely low temperatures, the engine may become difficult to start so SAE 5W30 or lower viscosity engine oil is recommended.

So what does all that mean? It means you can use any of the oils they specify above BUT you will only get the best fuel economy, performance and cold starting if you use the oil they recommend - which is also the oil they fill it with. The dealer should be using the oil recommended by Toyota NOT one the car can use otherwise why not fill it with Halfords 20w50 for £5 for 5 litres? You will also find a good 5 - 10 mpg drop if you use anything other than 0w20 (or at least I and others on this forum did) and that is one of the reasons Toyota sent a service bulletin to their dealers to specify the use of 0w20 in the latest Prius. Why spend good money on an economical car that can get 70+ mpg only to skimp on the oil and end up with a 45 mpg car? I personally couldn't get near 55 mpg when the car had 5w30 in it.

One wonders how Toyota would stand regarding the zero road tax rate if the car is unable to get near the 74 mpg rating if their dealers are using different oil to that recommended!

I would also say this is old ground. This topic has previously been discussed at length. Toyota dealers who do not use the recommended oil should be reported to Toyota UK for them to deal with as they see fit. A dealer, however good or bad is not going to change their mind because you said they're wrong or mistaken. A quiet word from Headoffice might work though. :thumbsup:

RING TOYOTA UK CUSTOMER SERVICE

(that was shouting!)

I had the same problem and Toyota Technical agreed that the oil should be 0W20 for the GENERATION 3 (latest shape) Prius and called the garage to instruct them to change the oil in my car. This happened and the garage gave me the almost empty container of Toyota brand 0W20 oil.

So - your dealer CAN get this grade of oil.

Russ

Having just bought a new Prius Gen 3 I was surprised to read in the manual that 5/W30 could be used. That is in direct contradiction to what I have read on this forum that only OW20 must be used in the Gen 3. After all the hassle owners have had on this subject I thought Toyota UK had instructed all dealers only to use OW20. Is this correct or not? I have to go into the local dealer next week I am going to see what they say. I will not be very pleased if they put 5/W30 in my car at its first service. I do note that the manual clearly states that if 5/W30 is used it should be changed for the OW20. Not sure if it states as soon as possible. This really needs sorting out so there is no ambiguity.

I can't believe owners of the current Prius are STILL having to battle dealers to have the correct oil used.

COME ON, TOYOTA!

I can't believe owners of the current Prius are STILL having to battle dealers to have the correct oil used.

COME ON, TOYOTA!

DITTO

even if you insist the dealer puts in 0w 20,how are you going to know he has.

ok, fuel consumption may suffer if he has used 5w 30,but can you prove they have not bothered to obtain the 0w 20.

best use a dealer who says they use 0w 20 when first sked.not one who dithers.

Thanks everyone for advice. Will keep you posted.

10K mile service due next week (only had the car just over 5 months!)

best use a dealer who says they use 0w 20 when first sked.not one who dithers.

Even better to supply your own 0W20 and hope that they use it.

Seamaster has it in one!

We can bleat all we like but when it comes down to it, we have to trust the dealer to do the right thing. I have no way of checking that the correct oil will be used, and if I give the dealer the correct oil will they use it?

It all boils down to trust and reputation, if the dealer wants you to come back and buy a new car in due course then surely they will do their best to look after you?

Hopefully the more models that use 0w-20 the more likely it will be that dealers will get it right!!

If you supply your own oil and have a service plan then it is defeating the object of the service plan. Am I correct in thinking that a Toyota representative on this forum stated that all dealers had been contacted and they were instructed to only use OW20 in the Gen 3 Prius? This really needs sorting once and for all.

You also have to add the other common problem which is overfilling the oil as this is also detrimental to mpg on both gen2 & 3

I can see I've reopened a can of worms... when all I wanted was a can of oil!

Stay tuned.

M

I can see I've reopened a can of worms... when all I wanted was a can of oil!

Stay tuned.

M

I suppose you could always grind the worms down :thumbsup:

The dealer is seriously incompetent. Change dealer, and tell Toyota Customer Services.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links