Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blown Speakers - Help!

kr236rk

Hi,

Have a Corolla GS with no CD facility (at least I can't see or find one on the stereo unit) so I plugged a cassette adaptor into the deck an started grooving to my mp3 player. Trouble is, when I ejected the adaptor - which won't come out all the way anyway - the car radio instantly cuts in at 4 times the volume of the mp3 player. That doesn't worry me but i like bass (full) and I guess the radio has blown both rear seat Speakers.

I tried my mp3 yesterday and it sounded like a 'fuzz box'. I tracked the poor sound back to both rear Speakers. I cannot see any tears in the diaphragms though, so am a bit fazed ... because if I could actually SEE what's causing this problem it would be easier to deal with.

Anyone have any experience of blown car Speakers please?

What are my options?

Just got this superb stereo system up and running after years of no music on it, and I blow the speakers! Sick as a parrot :(

There are "FAD" adjustments on the sound system but I think this just moves the balance around, it doesn't cure the fuzzy speakers.

Can I hike those speakers out and replace them? If I can't see what's blown there is no way I can repair a fault which is invisible? But very audible! :-o

Thanks,

Ric

I've had a few of those Tape adaptors and in my experience when they go a bit funny, or get damaged they sound fuzzy as anything, try another one of those before you go buying new Speakers mate :)

• Like 1

I've had a few of those Tape adaptors and in my experience when they go a bit funny, or get damaged they sound fuzzy as anything, try another one of those before you go buying new speakers mate :)

Thanks and also Sizzla -

Cripes, this is starting to sound horribly open ended :-o

The two forward door Speakers do not distort at all, only the two rear ones.

Right, tomorrow I'll compare radio music to the mp3 player, if both are fuzzed on the back Speakers then they must be blown, if the radio is clear on all 4 Speakers then it's the cassette adaptor.

Fuses: how would this fuzz the sound though - blown fuse = dead circuits? (= no sound?)

Thanks ;)

Ric

sounds like a good elimination process there mate.

worse comes to the worst we can help ya get some new speakers in there. :)

Many thanks. I sneaked out last night and turned the radio on after unhitching the cassette adaptor: there is definitely 'fuzz' on both rear Speakers, but clear tones from the two front door Speakers, which is good news. I reckon both rear Speakers were damaged if not physically blown while I was trying to get the adaptor out recently, which you can't. Problem is, every time you press eject the radio auto-cuts in at full blast and that's what's done the damage. Knowing this, the answer is to set the volume at '0' before hitting eject, had I known! :-o

Never mind: what's next, the Bay?

Are there any bass-friendly speakers on the market? Haven't measured the rear ones yet, they look to be 2 or 3 inches across.

Thanks again,

Ric

Update:

I hiked off both rear covers the other day - plastic pop-off covers - to try to spot the problem. Both Speakers looked okay, no cracks or ruptures. Then I noticed the sound had improved 90% on removing the covers! So I'm leaving 'em off! Is that a problem though?

There is slight distortion on the bass (sort of tail-off effect) but not the 'fuzz box' racket I was getting a week ago. Now that distortion might be the tape deck / adaptor. The adaptor tends to generate background noise or 'hiss' even when there is no mp3 plugged into it.

But a big improvement anyway. This is an ancient sound system, retro cassette deck and all. Am not shelling out for another adaptor, only just bought that one - plus the fact you can't fully withdraw it from the tape deck anyway, after half way out it sort off hooks in there somewhere: don't want to total both deck and adaptor!

Bests ;)

Ric

If you enjoy listening to music while driving and want better clarity (which i get a small hint that you do...) i'd recommend overhauling the sound system :)

it doesn't have to cost megabucks if you don't go silly :)

if you're looking for MP3's why not change the head unit?

you can get ones with iPod connectors, AUX inputs, and USB connectivity for well under £100 and even under £50!

if you like bass, look at changing the standard Speakers for some nice aftermarket ones, the FLI audio ones, while cheap, do offer a nice sound for the money. :)

it's more than likely that the standard car Speakers are not built to handle large amounts of bass, which is why they were damaged in the first place.

and running the Speakers without the grills is ok, just watch for dust :thumbsup:

• Like 1

If you enjoy listening to music while driving and want better clarity (which i get a small hint that you do...) i'd recommend overhauling the sound system ... why not change the head unit?

you can get ones with iPod connectors, AUX inputs, and USB connectivity for well under £100 and even under £50!

if you like bass, look at changing the standard speakers ... it's more than likely that the standard car speakers are not built to handle large amounts of bass, which is why they were damaged in the first place ... running the speakers without the grills is ok, just watch for dust :thumbsup:

Thanks there!

Yep, that brings me back full circle :) because no-one (including garage mechanics) seemed to know how to get at the stereo unit, so the adaptor was a second best option. Since carefully prying the rear speaker covers off there must be an even chance that the stereo unit is concealed in much the same way, so that will be stage 2, revealing the unit and stage 3 removing it, inspecting it and possibly replacing it with something a little more up to date.

From what I have read replacing car Speakers looks reasonably straightforward because the wires plug into stuff, I thought everything would have to be soldered (I hate soldering).

I get the distinct impression the rear Speakers in the GS handle more bass whatever you do - is that correct - are some car speaker systems set up bass heavy in the rear?

Thanks again

tbh it shouldn't be that hard to get at!

got any pictures?

well normally, as far as I can tell, the factory installed Speakers in cars are pretty dire.

They're ok at doing your average playback but turning up the bass is likely to blow the Speakers, tbh it's the same with any speaker, turning up the bass silly amounts will cause the speaker damage.

on my set-up I have the bass set to +1 (out of a possible 9) just cos my rear Speakers are 6x9's and I have the soundstage dragged to the back, if it wasn't for this I'd have the bass on 0.

If you love bass it would definitely help to get a subwoofer installed. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if i'm posting to an old topic.

By my experience - you're dealing with a blown/displaced sound coil. I had such a thing some years ago - the Speakers were fully OK at first sight, but it appeared that the coil was partially detached(as observed when the center cap was removed). The coil can sit into it's place after some time listening on low volume, but it will get detached again if you apply big bass again.

As it was said, the only option is to replace the Speakers. The bigger they are- the lower the frequencies will be.

Sorry, UK trims for corolla is not my strongest point, is the "GS" a 5dr liftback ? In my 3dr hatch I have a weird 4inch Speakers clamped on three screws, that did not produce any bass at all. And there is no place there to fit any bigger ones, so the only point is to fit another 4" speakers.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Update.

Here's the dash sound panel

DSCF0150_zps381a5813.jpg

& here's the detail

Corolla_Panorama1_zps5a217b74.jpg

I discovered that it wasn't the spealers which were blown. The cassette-mp3 converter is somehow incompatible with the sound system - or the cassette heads within the sound system are gone to glory.

Currently I have an 80s cassette-radio ghetto-blaster housing the mp3-cassette converter, so I can at least play my mp3 files through that. Sound quality is good but all coming from the passenger side of the Corolla of course, and the fabulous(ish) in-car Speakers are silent & wasted. Would love to find a way to use mp3s through those Speakers.

Despite the reference to discs this is a pre-CD unit with only analogue radio and cassette. Swapping it for the CD version would also be good, if possible, but if I could only get my mp3 player hitched up to the in-car Speakers it would be brilliant!

Any thoughts please - sorry for the delay in getting back on topic :-o

Hi,

Think in a way you are lucky that your radio housing is what appears to be a Single Din space so looks like any standard single din unit will fit; unlike our later cars which have the non standard double din sized units.

Something like this Pioneer should need all your needs with all its interfaces

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-deh-x3500ui_p-27661.htm

As for Speakers, I replaced my fronts and the difference was really good, it was a set of Pioneers what came with separate tweeters that do make a noticable difference, though take a bit of getting used to.

Using some Dynamat or similar when fitting the Speakers is well worthwhile.

https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/product/general-maintenance/tetrosyl-sound-deadening-pad-200mm-x-500mm

Have often read that they say the rear Speakers are the least imprortant part of the set up.

If you head unit and fronts are good the rears just provide a bit of 'fill in' sound.

• Like 2

Hi,

That link in post #11 from Wangstastic seems clear enough ....

You can use the proper tool, though like most folk you can use various things to click the parts off, just that its always tricky to click them at the right place to avoid and damage to the part or the surrounding dash area, so use plenty of padding and such like to minimise the risk.

Thanks,

Must have missed that part of #11 - checking it out now :-o

btw, will the Pioneer DEH-3400UB also fit my Corolla please? It has the usb socket I can plug an MP3 player to.

Thanks again ;)

Excellent!!

:)

Wangtastic wrote @ #11

How do I wire up / connect the new audio unit please - just copy the wiring / connections on the old unit?

Hi,

I don't know what exactly will fit your car.

The standard aftermaket units are called Single Din and that should replace the one you have ,BUT you will have to double check the actual measurments as your originalToyota unit may not be a standard size.

As for connections, again to be compatible with modern units you will probably need an adaptor cable / plug assembly.

If you look further at those online Car audio sites like the one I gave, they have 'fitting' sections where they detail what extra fittings are needed.

If still unsure and no one else comes in, then try posting in the Audio section of this forum where the guys there seem very knowledgable.

Thanks o/c

Sounds like the first step forward is to fetch the old audio system out & have a look at (a) the dimensions & the connections round the back?

Will get back on this one (hope) [lol]

;)

Hi,

This is the palce i got my Speakers and accessories from, they have a 'Fittings' selector page

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/install-adaptors/toyota/corolla/ct20ty01-harness-adapter-toyota-models-1988-gt

As they say at the bottom of that page, Email them for specific fitting advice.

Please compare what I found with the Wangstastic guide - I am lost :-o

This is what was revealed beneath the air duct cowling - I can see no screws to release the radio? There are sprung(?) tabs and beside them the words 'RADIO SERV' but pressing them upwards or pulling them down does nothing; I can see no screws under these tabs either. Help!

corollaradiobay1_zpsa7bb2cd7.jpg

corollaradiobay2_zps8054fd14.jpg

corollaradiobay3_zps84500f65.jpg
:ermm:

later on that same evening.

found that by depressing two clips I could pull the whole air duct frontage out. This revealed not two screws but two bolts, high up under the dash. Luckily found some bolt undoing tool extensions, and one fit, so I gingerly removed the bolts succeeding not to drop any of them into the gaping air pipes below. But the radio front still wouldn't budge, there were two white pegs under the unit. Pushing up on both of these unlocked them, then the whole lot had to be tugged to release a double catch towards the windscreen.

Then I had the radio free on its attached wires, with the cowling still in place. The cowling was held on by two bolts on either side plus a philips screw backwards to the driver seat. Then I had the radio in hand and clicked off the two wiring plugs at the rear, and pulled the antenna out.

Now for a replacement radio (hope)

;)

Hi,

Well done, you finally cracked it.

Would take your unit down to some local car radio shop or Halfords and check the current single din models will fit in your bezel.

Some original Toyota radios were not to the current single or double Din standard sizes and if not, getting a matching surround /bezel to fit can be difficult.

As said earlier you will probably need a wiring harness adpartor to your new radio to the old Toyota wiring.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links