Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Blown Speakers - Help!

kr236rk

Thanks.

I got these from Car Audio Direct:-

Found a US site which confirmed a JVC model replacement radio is compatible with the 1999 Corolla, but I am waiting for the radio vendor to get back to me with the JVC dimensions so I can compare them with the original unit.

Hi,

All current Single DIN radios should be exactly the same size.

What are the sizes of your radios main body and the opening; hard to tell what is part of your radio, it looks like the radio front sits inside an obolong housing of the same colour; is that part of the radio or not ? that then sits up against or inside the ' black ' cowling ?

You can see the body size and the other dimentions of the JVC units here, you will probably be able to download the installation / operators manual as well to check everythings ok, though you do not mention what model of jvc you are going for ..?

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=KD-DB65E&catid=100180

Thanks.

Here is the radio, it is basically a metal box of width 178mm, height 50mm, depth 160mm. However, the frontage has a sort of border to it which makes it 60mm high by 186mm wide.

Radio_Panorama1_zps40cd7be0.jpg

Yes, all that grey bit around it (previous post) is the cowling, attached to which is a hidden alloy framework which houses the radio.

The JVC is a JVC KD-X210

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_36965_JVC_KD-X210.aspx

Hi,

Looking at those dimensions looks like its a standard single din unit so any such unit should fit ok.

From your opening post it kind of implied you wanted unit with CD but the model you show does not have one ?

Are you going to rely on usb sticks / moby / bluetooth to import your music instead ?

While they say a new head unit gives the best single sound improvement a set of front Speakers also make a great improvement, might be worth seeing if you can get a good deal on the head unit with a pair of front Speakers and tweeters.

Something like these look good and you can mount the tweeters like this if there is space on your model as it really expands the sound stage; or buy a more standard pair with intergal tweeters

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-cs-js600-16cm-300w-component-speakers

post-95973-0-91823900-1403393853_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks - the JVC was the only model I could find (that a US site) verified as compatible with a 1999 Corolla. I mostly compile my own sounds on a mp3 player but if you know of a model which also incorporates CD all to the good. I will look at the Speakers later but am keen to get a radio back in the dash :-o looks a bit funny all taped up at the moment. I'm not bolting it back together until I can fit a replacement unit to it. Yes, it's a four speaker Corolla, two in the front and two in the rear ;)

ps. this is the site I went to in order to verify compatibility of radio units for the Corolla:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LSTUIqls4lG/p_105KDX210/JVC-KD-X210.html?tp=5684

Hi,

As said earlier your original unit measures the same as a Single Din unit which virtually all aftermarket units are, apart from the larger double din units.

As I see it any single din should fit ok, so if you want a Cd palyer as well nothing to stop you getting one; though do chekc the actual units sizes on the manuactures site to be sure.

JVC and Pioneer units seem very popular.

You can compare units on CAD site, here is your unit v a CD version , as you can see you have to check the detail closely to ensure you get all the modern features you need.

Would always be careful when using US motor sites as their 'standards' are not always the same as ours.

post-95973-0-77212300-1403442995_thumb.j

• Like 1

Many thanks,

The JVC KD-R541 looks as if it would be virtually identical to the other model. Trouble is, none of the sites give you the physical dimensions, they give you the technical specifications instead.

What is CAD please?

Thanks again :)

Hi,

Two reasons, first they are all Single Din units so have to be a certain size to come withing the Single DIn banner otherwise it would be mayhem.

Second for the exact sizes you have to look on JVCs or other makers own site where you will find those exact measurements.

Have just looked in JVCs site at those two models and they have identical measurements.

Find the Make and Model and price bracket that suits you and confirm the size from the makers site - job done ..!

Let us know which model you decide on..

CAD Car Audio Direct

Hi,

Two reasons, first they are all Single Din units so have to be a certain size to come withing the Single DIn banner otherwise it would be mayhem.

Second for the exact sizes you have to look on JVCs or other makers own site where you will find those exact measurements.

Have just looked in JVCs site at those two models and they have identical measurements.

Find the Make and Model and price bracket that suits you and confirm the size from the makers site - job done ..!

Let us know which model you decide on..

CAD Car Audio Direct

This is looking good - thanks. I have never been able to listen to anything apart from local radio on that four speaker system, a terrible waste.

When you say 'bracket' are you suggesting the current bracket beneath the grey cowling might not match the new JVC please?

Maybe I should just order a JVC and if the Corolla bracket will not line up on screws/bolts, then send out for a new bracket?

The JVC KD-R541model is no longer listed at JVC UK. There's a 551 listed at Installation Size 182 x 53 x 158mm but nothing about how the unit is attached to the bracket ... nothing about the bracket either ... unless these radio systems come with a bracket - surely bracket/installations for this type of radio ought to be fairly standard though?

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=KD-R551E&catid=100180#techspecs_section

Meanwhile, they're selling one of these at Argos:-

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2495259.htm?cmpid=COJUN&catalogId=10001&_%24ja=tsid%3A11674|prd%3A3086088&storeId=10151&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F2495259.htm&referrer=COJUN

The JVC KD-R541model is no longer listed at JVC UK. There's a 551 listed at Installation Size 182 x 53 x 158mm but nothing about how the unit is attached to the bracket ... nothing about the bracket either ... unless these radio systems come with a bracket - surely bracket/installations for this type of radio ought to be fairly standard though?

http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=KD-R551E&catid=100180#techspecs_section

Meanwhile, they're selling one of these at Argos:-

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2495259.htm?cmpid=COJUN&catalogId=10001&_%24ja=tsid%3A11674|prd%3A3086088&storeId=10151&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fstatic%2FProduct%2FpartNumber%2F2495259.htm&referrer=COJUN

Hi

Bracket, you have lost me there ?? - I did refer to the ' price bracket ' meaning the approx price your are prepared to pay ..?

If you see page 13/14 of this manual it shows how you install a new unit.

Generally they just slide in to the old housing and some clips spring out and lock it into posistion.

The general problem is ensuring that things match up the the existing cowl /fascia so it looks a neat fit, which from your measurments looks like it should.

http://uk.jvc-service.net/webtemp/GET0943_001A.pdf?CFID=14855216&CFTOKEN=62585900

Car audio makers tend to bring out 'new' models every year so like the R541 and that argos R443 they do not show up as current models, but that means you should be able to pick up 'last years' models for a low price, if you shop around

Cannot really advise what unit you should go for as only you know what features and price you want to pay for or exacly how they will fit in your car as every fit is always a bit different.

Worth looking at the Pioneer units as well...

Sorry, I thought by 'bracket' you were referring to the radio housing (bracket) under the cowling. I will probably go for the Argos radio since it has both mp3 & CD, and I can return it if things go pear shaped.

Have also located a nut spinner (like a screw driver thing but for bolts) which I will need to secure the cowling to the dashboard, since the bolts are up under the dash and need a long reach to tighten them.

I'm afraid that link scored a '404' file not found message.

Where are you based?

If you are based in the UK, or europe a US radio tuner will not work too well. Us radios increment in odd numbers, and as such will be difficult to tune to a uk/europe station.

If you are in another part of the world you may need a band expander to work the US unit. Your profile does not state your location.

Thanks MC,

I'm in London - the units I am looking at are GB based, I only used the US site to look at specifications. I really want the unit for mp3 anyway, and CD if I land one with an optical reader.

What's yer budget?

I know from fitting these (we'll say 100's) a single din will fit, but some stereos will require the outer surround (usually plastic) to be removed. These are screwed into the frame of the dash part that you remove. Just be careful of the length of the screws.

I would recommend a clarion unit, pretty robust, good quality detachable face. You will need a toyota to iso connector loom, usually less than a fiver.

See below http://www.clarion.com/gb/en/products-personal/audio/CZ703E/index.html

Thanks, my budget is about 1 ton, I will either pick up something on the Bay or pop up Argos. At the moment it's JVC but I will look at the Clarion by & by. Anything that I can stick an mp3 player into will keep me happy ;)

Hi,

I'm not into hi tech stuff as much as I used to be, but with all the modern methods of connection around think I would look at a little more that just a mp3 player 3.5mm jack input.

USB and bluetooth for moby use / player would be on my list......

Thanks. Both the stereo system models I'm looking at have usb, aux and CD. The usb-mp3 player ought to (hope) slot into the forward usb socket. I don't know what the aux would be for; as long as I can play my mp3 compilations on shuffle mode I will be fine.

• 1 month later...

update.

Well here it is

newcarradioaugust2014_zps675808f3.jpg

it didn't fit - the old bracket had screw holes which didn't match the JVC at all - tried every which way. Eventually had to wire the bracket to the radio, which allowed me to match up the forward surround screw holes (two screws) and match the whole bracket construction to the two bolt (holes) under the dash. That was also a nightmare - because the side bracket screw fittings don't match up, the lower bolt holes were out of place by several millimetres. Managed to get one bolt in then the other side had to be levered to one side while I screwed the remaining bolt in. I don't know how I managed it, but i did - the radio is a smasher and the mp3 player is tops - and I got the four Speakers going - many thanks! :)

the antenna fit the JVC in the end, i didn't need the aerial converter.

GREAT STUFF!! :driving::clap:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links