Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Your preferred navigation app

Hadrian1

I've always used google maps with my Android auto, but have recently had a look at Waze which seems to be

very popular.  I've also just downloaded Sygic to see what that's like. I'm told that Waze uses you're

phone's data. How much and is that an issue ?    What is Sygic like to use, and are the adds a problem ?

• Like 2

I use Copilot Caravan for when towing. Otherwise as cr8p as the Toyota satnav is I use that through laziness, or google maps. I forget I have Waze and hence forget to use it! 

I use WAZE rather than the built in navigation. It does use data and I don’t know how much but it’s never been an issue for me. I especially like updates for, cars on the hard shoulder, traffic flow, cameras, etc. etc. The key thing for me is the routing so much better than the built in version. I’ve tried AA but overall it’s WAZE for me.

• Like 3

Waze for me, with Google maps a close second (they both belong to Google, after all). I think the data usage is moderate. Most journeys I make that need navigation are for business reasons and I use my work phone, so I don't worry about it too much. I'm sure that streaming music or podcasts, for example, would use more. Google maps has a feature that allows you to select a map portion and download it for offline use, in which case you would only be using the data for traffic info. Could be very useful if you're on a limited data plan or visiting an area with poor coverage.

• Like 1

Waze the way to go for me.

But occasionally it freaks out and breaks.

I have to go back to Google Maps at that point. 

Still preferred the Tom Tom 3D dual display on my 3008 hybrid 4 GT 300 though. 

• Like 1

I use the Toyota when in the RAV. In the other car which is sans-nav I use a standalone TomTom.

With Google maps you can download the maps you are going to

need at home to avoid using phone data, can you do the same

with Waze. I find voice control essential.

Unless I am missing something I don't like the re-routing of Waze that seems to reroute through a maze of backroads or housing estates to save 2 minutes without giving you a choice. Google maps and TomTom ask me if I want to re-route and how much time it will save. I can then decide whether its worth it.

Not experienced the re-routing of the inbuilt Satnav yet.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I use WAZE rather than the built in navigation. It does use data and I don’t know how much but it’s never been an issue for me. I especially like updates for, cars on the hard shoulder, traffic flow, cameras, etc. etc. The key thing for me is the routing so much better than the built in version. I’ve tried AA but overall it’s WAZE for me.

? AA = Android Auto? In which case you can use Google Maps, Waze, TomTom, etc as Apps on the head unit.

Don't have built nav on my car. I use the Tomtom app via AA or a Tomtom standalone, much preferred over others. 

10 hours ago, Corolly Poly said:

? AA = Android Auto? In which case you can use Google Maps, Waze, TomTom, etc as Apps on the head unit.

My PHEV is a '21 so my WAZE/AA apps are on my phone not apps in the Head Unit connected via  cable or the Mororola dongle.

• Like 1

I have 5Gb data, use Google for about 1 000 miles per month. I use data for browsing a couple of forums, a paper,  emails and WhatsApp.   Not run out of data yet.

• Like 1

For convenience on local journeys I use the built in satnav, but on longer journeys I use Google maps with its better traffic information. I do download the maps to cover the route, but have never noticed any data usage anyway. I have Waze on my phone, but have never actually used it. 

For convenience I use the built-in satnav - it's fit for purpose (if not perfect), operates independently of whichever smartphone is in the car, and can hold shared favorites for both drivers.

If we go on a longer journey, the 'navigator' uses Google Maps as a back-up / alternative view.

Either way, we go the route we want to go irrespective of what the satnav tells us - I'm a bit 'old school' like that ... 😉

• Like 2

Anyone familiar with the new inbuilt sat nav on the 2024 model and differences or improvements from the earlier version I got on the 2021?

Other than it's higher resolution and better colours from what little I've seen. Toyota seems to be pushing some cloud thing. I don't know if that means they're aggregating speed data and RSA from similar installed Toyota units on Toyota cars or what. Clearly can't be as effective as Waze or Google Maps given the sheer numbers of those which contribute whether they're connected to a car or running the maps afaik.

58 minutes ago, philip42h said:

For convenience I use the built-in satnav - it's fit for purpose (if not perfect), operates independently of whichever smartphone is in the car, and can hold shared favorites for both drivers.

If we go on a longer journey, the 'navigator' uses Google Maps as a back-up / alternative view.

Either way, we go the route we want to go irrespective of what the satnav tells us - I'm a bit 'old school' like that ... 😉

Whatever navigation I use I’m particularly aware of starting and ending a trip, it seems to me where often the ‘navigation’ system fail often wanting to reroute you to save minutes. So like you ‘old school’ but pay attention to navigation reroutes, especially on a new to me trip, but don’t always take them.

• Like 1

My 5 cents:
1. TomTom GO Navigation
2. Google Maps

I wrote a review on my blog.

TLDR;
TomTom is better with traffic navigation.
Google Maps is better for searching and user can work faster with it.

• Like 2

On the Tomtom, it has the option to show a quicker route during the trip, up to you to take it or not. A trip I took last weekend had 30mins of traffic, it showed a different route which saves 20mins, I took it, it was longer in distance but worth it. During the same trip there was a 1 min quicker route and a bit longer, so just remained on original route. 

Having more than one app on your phone "can" really screw things up.

I had Google. Waze and Sygic on my ohone and Android Auto really got confused.

Although Waze is very good, I still prefer Google maps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hadrian1 said:

Having more than one app on your phone "can" really screw things up.

I had Google. Waze and Sygic on my ohone and Android Auto really got confused.

Although Waze is very good, I still prefer Google maps.

Carply doesnt care how many.

it switches to the “last used” 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 7:12 PM, Hadrian1 said:

I've always used google maps with my Android auto, but have recently had a look at Waze which seems to be

very popular.  I've also just downloaded Sygic to see what that's like. I'm told that Waze uses you're

phone's data. How much and is that an issue ?    What is Sygic like to use, and are the adds a problem ?

I'm using Sygic at the moment. It's one of the best I've tried for graphics and colour schemes on AA. It is highly customisable (i.e. for those that have the new bings and bongs - you can enable/disable these and change the warning thresholds, distance to warnings etc., you can even change from a bing to a spoken warning of your own choice, e.g. I've set it to a polite "careful, check your speed" when it's 4 mph above the limit)

Things I like...

Graphics and colour scheme, display of current speed and speed limit is very clear, you can enable upcoming sharp bend warnings (or level crossings), the speed limit change ahead is displayed on the map so you know the limit is about to drop or increase in a few 100 meters. Maps and speed limits are updated every month and are as accurate as any I've seen. Mobile cameras and traffic are reliable. The map data is from TomTom.

Things I don't like...

Occasionally the routing can do something strange unusual but it's rare. Some of the recent updates introduced annoying bugs but the app is regularly updated and the developers are good at responding. Although it's very customisable, that means there are a lot of menu settings and it can take a while to get it set up as you like.

Unless you are going to pay for a subscription, don't bother, because AA/CP is a "premium" feature. The annual fee isn't too bad and it's often on offer. Premium gives a lot of other features, heads up display, Dashcam, road sign recognition, cockpit (pitch and roll, compass, altitude, acceleration, g-force), etc., but I don't really use them.

Preferred navigation system is whatever happens to be most convenient and accessible at the time I need it.
For general ad-hoc nav to somewhere I don't know it tend to be the Toyota system. If I wanted to plan a route with multiple stops and/or waypoints then I would would use the standalone TomTom, define the route in advance on the laptop and sync it to the device. The TomTom is also used in the MX5 which does not have a factory system.

Toyota maps are updated twice a year: 3yr map care included with car and will be renewed as required. TomTom is updated four times per year: lifetime world maps and speed cameras included with device. I also have a Garmin standalone system which I keep up to date but I don't use it often.

1 hour ago, nlee said:

Unless you are going to pay for a subscription, don't bother, because AA/CP is a "premium" feature. The annual fee isn't too bad and it's often on offer. Premium gives a lot of other features, heads up display, dashcam, road sign recognition, cockpit (pitch and roll, compass, altitude, acceleration, g-force), etc., but I don't really use them.

First I have heard of Sygic. Just had a look at the web site and it does look like a nice product. I like the pricing too.
While it does offer a lot of features some of them are mutually exclusive. e.g. Heads up display and any of the features that require the phone to be positioned in a holder pointing out of the windscreen. Not sure it's worth the premium subscription just to try it out, given my alternatives, but it is nice to see another player in the market.

Something I've noticed on Google maps recently, is that although the display gives the correct info at

roundabouts and junctions, the voice command can lag behind. Maybe as a result of having other apps

installed, even though they have been uninstalled.

21 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Something I've noticed on Google maps recently, is that although the display gives the correct info at

roundabouts and junctions, the voice command can lag behind. Maybe as a result of having other apps

installed, even though they have been uninstalled.

I've also noticed this lately. hopefully it will get fixed along with the bombing out of AA when playing music and receiving a navigation instruction. Seems google need to do a lot of work on the App but I get the impression they are starting to push it more so fingers crossed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links