Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Put My Mind At Rest

monya

Discussing the mpg benefits of the hybrid technology I was asked If I really was making any financial saving over 5 years given the price premium of the hybrid design. Ummmmm - good point!

I reckon on doing about 65000 over 5 years after which I'll probably trade in. I reckon the standard Auris is about 5K cheaper than the hybrid. Wonder if I'll reclaim this saving in petrol over this mileage?? Anyone got a clue?

Still like the car though :thumbsup:

Mmmm, interesting point. I suppose it depends on why you bought a hybrid in the first place.

If you bought it for the potential savings, RFL, lower petrol bills, lower company car tax etc, it may or may not stack up, I'm not even gonna try to do the maths!!! However, if you bought it for the technology, for the fact that there are relatively few around, for the 'novelty' value, then it's a no-brainer, you did the right thing.

You also have the added thought that you are getting right up Clarkson and co's noses :thumbsup:

I certainly didn't regret buying my gen2, nor do I regret trading it for the gen3.

You wouldn't save £5K in petrol over 65K miles. Factor in road tax, company car tax, congestion charge etc, the sums might be different.

For a private owner on average miles the figures would not stack up, but for company car owners, BIK, tax and VAT, congestion chaarge etc can all make the figures change completely.

Buying a car is not all about the benefits in MPG etc, many of the features and choices are aspirational, two different cars will have two different sets of features for certain individuals, thankfully we are not all the same and personal choice goes a long way, thankfully accountants down rule all of our lives........just yet :lol:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I've tried doing the sums using Toyota website prices, consumption and CO2, and assumed that road tax will stay the same over the 5 years and petrol price is £1.40/ltr.

The total cost over 5 years for the hybrid works out at £28,160 against £28,210 for the non-hybrid.

YOU WIN :yahoo:

I've tried doing the sums using Toyota website prices, consumption and CO2, and assumed that road tax will stay the same over the 5 years and petrol price is £1.40/ltr.

The total cost over 5 years for the hybrid works out at £28,160 against £28,210 for the non-hybrid.

If your calculations are correct, the fact that the price of fuel is going up at an ever increasing rate means that he wins even more :thumbsup:

You also need to factor in your requirements.

Top of my list was an automatic. That on its own was enough to put up the price on the competition. Add in the size (room for 4 adults and luggage), options (aircon, elec mirrors), service costs, etc. and the Prius was way ahead on price and it had the best mpg and lowest road tax to boot. It was really a one sided contest. Since then, there have been a couple of price hikes so it may not be so clear cut today.

My previous car was an astra 1.6 (mk4) manual which got about 30mpg. The prius is averaging 55mpg and I do 20K per year so am saving about 300 gallons per year. That's about £1800 at today's prices. The £0 road tax is also welcome.

Spookily I got roughly the same figures as you (attached). But I'm not sure that the multimode transmission really compares to the Auris's eCVT for drivability? Also, I've ignored servicing costs which I hope would be lower in the hybrid; I've not taken into account trade-in value which I'd expect to be no worse than comparable (probably slightly higher for the hybrid?).

So I think it does work for the private owner!

Auris Comparison.pdf

You don't have to think about saving the £5000 price difference, because the HSD version would be worth more as a trade in than the standard Auris when it comes to sell. Go for it! :thumbsup:

The cheapest way to run a car is buy a 10 year old Mondeo for £400 and run it til it dies. When it does buy another.

I don't think an Auris HSD is as viable if you compare it against a base new non hybrid Auris as the big difference just doesn't add up even on the mileage I do. The Prius however is a different kettle of fish. It is in the same size class as the Avensis and if you spec up an identical Avensis to the Prius you'll find it costs you more! I tried to spec up an auto Avensis or Mondeo auto and a diesel one was way over £23k! Even if you compare it to the base non like for like Avensis (£17,000) you'd be saving £3,845 against the Prius and over an 8 year vehicle life you'd save £480 each year. The fuel economy savings on the Prius would cover this. Even if you got identical mpg's to a diesel, the lower price of petrol will cause savings.

I'm waffling again but I guess it depends on what you need the car for and how you'll use it and what you need (automatic transmission) out of it. For me I am saving over 40% on my fuel bill which over 35k miles is significant.

The anti hybrid brigade will argue the hybrid doesn't pay til they're blue in the face. The Prius is almost the most economical car sold new in the UK and way ahead of its competition if you chose the same size vehicle. All I know is I save thousands a year and these savings almost cover the payments on the car! :yahoo:

I don't think an Auris HSD is as viable if you compare it against a base new non hybrid Auris as the big difference just doesn't add up even on the mileage I do.

I agree with you, but why would you compare an Auris Hybrid to a base level non-hybrid? Wouldn't you compare equal specs in terms of equipment.

I don't think an Auris HSD is as viable if you compare it against a base new non hybrid Auris as the big difference just doesn't add up even on the mileage I do.

I agree with you, but why would you compare an Auris Hybrid to a base level non-hybrid? Wouldn't you compare equal specs in terms of equipment.

I personally WOULD compare like for like specs but many out there try to discredit hybrids by comparing lowest spec against them.

I personally WOULD compare like for like specs but many out there try to discredit hybrids by comparing lowest spec against them.

Got it!

A favourite I used to get from my GF's sister was "your prius only gets 55mpg but I can get 60mpg in my yaris" (her yaris being the base yaris - manual). Luckily she now has a 1.6 auris.

Thanks for that, chaps. On balance the surcharge for the Auris hybrid over a similarly specd standard version probably wouldn't be made up in petrol savings although tax disc savings will help.Fair enough although one has to factor in the positives of driving a hybrid. I'll be more careful when bragging about fuel savings in future!

To a lesser extent the same argument applies to the surcharge that diesel's command over petrol equivalents.

Prius owners don't need to defend any surcharges as there is no standard equivalent unless you look at the Avensis as Grumps suggested.

However, I'm well happy with the car especially when compared to the previous 'A' class - the savings were a no brainer.

It never ceases to amaze me how often hybrid deniers respond to Prius MPG figures with "Pah, my Golf diseasel does nearly that!" or somesuch. I always want to respond with, "And what does a comparable automatic Passat that will carry five people and their luggage do?"

A favourite I used to get from my GF's sister was "your prius only gets 55mpg but I can get 60mpg in my yaris" (her yaris being the base yaris - manual). Luckily she now has a 1.6 auris.

Lol i had the same comment from my bro in law till he rode in the Prius and instantly regretted buying the yaris!

Having said that, he has just bought a tspirit yaris "cos I aint as rich as you Prius buyers!!

Frankly it doesnt matter what car you buy. If you can afford it and you like it and are happy with the deal you got who cares!!!

Just enjoy it :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links