Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Should I Get A Toyota Aygo Blue

rjmachin

I currently have an Automatic Ford Focus, very expensive to run and only get around 35mpg.

I plan to order a new car at the end of this month, and one of the cars I am considering is the Toyota Aygo Blue.

I want a car to use purely as an Automatic, I have no interest in manually changing gear and have a Auto only licence.

I have read some topics on here with some unpleasant comments about the MMT gearbox in Easymode, such as at Traffic lights etc.

I would say im a fairly smooth driver and am trying to get the best out of my Focus while I still have it.

Am I right to consider the Aygo, or should I go with a DSG (Fabia) or a Auto like the Suzuki Alto?

What are your opinions?

Thanks

I currently have an Automatic Ford Focus, very expensive to run and only get around 35mpg.

I plan to order a new car at the end of this month, and one of the cars I am considering is the Toyota Aygo Blue.

I want a car to use purely as an Automatic, I have no interest in manually changing gear and have a Auto only licence.

I have read some topics on here with some unpleasant comments about the MMT gearbox in Easymode, such as at Traffic lights etc.

I would say im a fairly smooth driver and am trying to get the best out of my Focus while I still have it.

Am I right to consider the Aygo, or should I go with a DSG (Fabia) or a Auto like the Suzuki Alto?

What are your opinions?

Thanks

I'm afraid I have a manual, but I've heard plenty of very positive comments on here about the MMT. It'll be more economical than a Fabia DSG I think, unless you can get the DSG gearbox on a diesel. The VAG petrol engines might have come a long way, but they still can't match the fuel economy of a diesel or something like an Aygo. Suzuki Alto might not be too bad, but it's not finished as nicely inside, and nor does it retain its value very well. Hope that helps a bit :)

What are your opinions?

Thanks

By all means try the Skoda but when I drove it, it annoyed me with the car having a tendancy to hold a gear too long before changing. Before you ask, lifiting off the accelerator did nothing to help as it only changed back down as soon as the accelerator was pressed. Maybe this was a duff model, but it put me off.

The Aygo MMT is quite good, but I find driving one (My mum has one - I have a manual version) requires a bit of a knack and is not simply a press on the pedal and off you go affair to get the best out of it. That's not to say it won't do as you expect, but for smooth driving I found lifting off the accelerator before a change helped make smoother/better timed changes rather than simply mashing the pedal to the carpet.

In relation to the Aygo "Blue" edition, I am afraid this is no longer available other than those still at dealerships unsold. Having said this, Toyota have replaced this with a new special edition called Ice I believe. If only the Blue will do, then haggle hard as this model is discontinued. They did as much when the Platinum was discontinued by advertising it as £1500 off list price Manager special.

By all means try the Skoda but when I drove it, it annoyed me with the car having a tendancy to hold a gear too long before changing. Before you ask, lifiting off the accelerator did nothing to help as it only changed back down as soon as the accelerator was pressed. Maybe this was a duff model, but it put me off.

The Aygo MMT is quite good, but I find driving one (My mum has one - I have a manual version) requires a bit of a knack and is not simply a press on the pedal and off you go affair to get the best out of it. That's not to say it won't do as you expect, but for smooth driving I found lifting off the accelerator before a change helped make smoother/better timed changes rather than simply mashing the pedal to the carpet.

In relation to the Aygo "Blue" edition, I am afraid this is no longer available other than those still at dealerships unsold. Having said this, Toyota have replaced this with a new special edition called Ice I believe. If only the Blue will do, then haggle hard as this model is discontinued. They did as much when the Platinum was discontinued by advertising it as £1500 off list price Manager special.

Thanks... I had a test drive in the Skoda at the weekend. It seemed okay to drive apart from the high dashboard, but I didn't check how high the seat could go.

In my Auto Focus, I am used to lifting the accelerator slightly to help it to change gear more smoothly. I probably do not need to, but I have done it for the past 6 years of driving an Auto.

Is that what you have to do with the MMT, and is this what threads here refer to as "adapting your driving style"?

Oh dear, I liked the Blue, with having bluetooth. I take it the Ice does not have bluetooth? I'm actually a Motability customer, so I think I have to order as new to be built in the factor. I know the Aygo Go has bluetooth, but it is an extra £295 on the Motability scheme and I'm trying to save money, which is why I'm looking for a high MPG like the Aygo.

We have the blue mmt. The wife has an auto only licence and it suits us fine. She uses E and I use it as a manual....

It's a great slittle car, the mmt box takes some getting used to, but if my wife can do it......

Didn't know the blue was discontinued, but what aout the 'go'? You would save the extra 300 quid in petrol over a few months at current rates.

We get between 48 and 52 our of our blue and the go has the same engine....

Have a go at your local Mr T's and see how you get on in an Aygo :thumbsup:

Hi There.

The MMT can be driven exactly how you would like to drive.

Throttle for go, brakes for slow.

I've had mine for years after driving manual & automatic gearboxes for years.

Somebody else asked for tips on getting the best out of it.......

"Special Technique. Some suggestions.

Remember the gearbox is really a computer controlled manual gearbox. (It has a "normal" clutch

which you can wear out faster by abusing it. Just like a normal clutch.

MMT is very clever but can't anticipate or see hills coming.

If you are driving into a valley and know you will soon be climbing a steep hill,

change into manual, change down a gear (or two) so that power is available.

If you wait for the car to do this, you are already on the hill, losing speed.

When crawling in traffic, try to maintain at least 6mph (10kph)

This means the clutch is fully engaged, not slipping and wearing.

Use the throttle very gently in slow traffic , again, to prevent wear.

Slipping ANY car clutch in traffic is poor driving anyway.

One of the critisisms of both the manual & MMT gearbox is the huge difference in ratios

between 1st & 2nd gear. You may find that you set off gently up a slight slope

and when the gearbox chenges into 2nd, the engine may labour (struggle) a bit.

I find the best way to set off uphill is to start moving gently, then open the

throttle quite wide (then the speed will build quickly and revs go quite high)

As the gearbox engages 2nd gear, ease your foot off the throttle a little.

(Not too much or the gearbox will go into 3rd). You'll soon see what I mean.

Another subtle difference between "normal" Auto boxes and MMT.

If you want to use kickdown, to change down a gear, The speed at which you press

the accelerator pedal is more important than slowly pressing it to the floor.

Pressing it very quickly to half-way down will result in a quicker down-shift.

To increase MPG, simply use the throttle very gently. the MMT will sort the rest out.

Adapting......If you thrash away from a couple of junctions and use large throttle openings a few

times, the MMT will keep you in lower gears and alter gearchange points until you relax again.

As soon as you drive gently, it goes back to normal within a couple of gearchanges.

Hope this helps".

Hope this doesn't sound like doom & gloom.

As I said, these tips are just to "help along" what is a very clever system.

You might find on a test drive that when the Aygo is changing gear, you feel it is taking

a long time. Conventional Auto gearboxes supply power to the wheels almost all of the time.

(Without going off on a tangent, this is achieved in an inefficient fuel sapping way).

If you can take along a passenger, or be driven as a passenger for a while, It feels just like

being driven in a manual car.

Ian.

(My wife has a manual, I have MMT. We're both happy to swap between the two).

Thanks... I had a test drive in the Skoda at the weekend. It seemed okay to drive apart from the high dashboard, but I didn't check how high the seat could go.

In my Auto Focus, I am used to lifting the accelerator slightly to help it to change gear more smoothly. I probably do not need to, but I have done it for the past 6 years of driving an Auto.

Is that what you have to do with the MMT, and is this what threads here refer to as "adapting your driving style"?

Oh dear, I liked the Blue, with having bluetooth. I take it the Ice does not have bluetooth? I'm actually a Motability customer, so I think I have to order as new to be built in the factor. I know the Aygo Go has bluetooth, but it is an extra £295 on the Motability scheme and I'm trying to save money, which is why I'm looking for a high MPG like the Aygo.

The lifting of the accelerator pedal is exactly what I mean and what a few others mean too. Some people hate the MMT because they are used to fully automatic cars such as those available in large saloon cars and expect the MMT to be exactly the same. i.e. you press the pedal to the floor and off you go.

The Go is great but I am not sure if that is available in MMT (Does not appear to be available on the toyota website) besides why pay more as you say. So if you like the bluetooth and Blue is your colour, pop down to your local dealer and see if they have a new blue in stock or one pre-built sitting at the docks. The Blue edition has only recently been discontinued, so I very much doubt they would have sold out of all the pre-built stock waiting around the docks or in dealer forecourts. If anything - it's worth a punt if you like the car.

Failing that, you could always try and charm the sales person to throw in the bluetooth as treat. This should not be an issue as I understand the bluetooth can be retro fitted at the dealer and not necessarily a factory option.

Hope that helps.

We have a Toyota iQ2 1.0 auto on Motability best car we ever had :thumbsup:

Nil Advance Payment as well :yahoo:

Suzuki Alto 1.0 SZ4 5dr £0 £46.91

Hyundai i10 1.2 Active 5dr £0 £49.60

Toyota iQ 1.0 [no trim] 3dr £0 £51.40 :thumbsup:

Toyota iQ2 1.0 3dr £0 Total Allowance

Suzuki Alto 1.0 and Hyundai i10 1.2 looks good

I've just placed an order for our 3rd Aygo in 9 months. I've placed an order for a Blue as there are some great deals on it as its the end of the line. If you do decide to go for a Blue i'd suggest you act fast as the dealer could only source 23 left in the country.

How about a new Suzuki Swift auto? Better built than the Aygo and probably more reliable, the Swift is a very nice car :) I think they cost around £10,000 for an SZ4 with all the gadgets.

I've just placed an order for our 3rd Aygo in 9 months. I've placed an order for a Blue as there are some great deals on it as its the end of the line. If you do decide to go for a Blue i'd suggest you act fast as the dealer could only source 23 left in the country.

Thanks for your reply. I will be getting my next car on the Motability scheme, which I think has to be a new build ordered from the factory. I may be wrong about this, but my previous cars took 8-12 weeks to be delivered.

How about a new Suzuki Swift auto? Better built than the Aygo and probably more reliable, the Swift is a very nice car :) I think they cost around £10,000 for an SZ4 with all the gadgets.

Thanks for your reply.

I am a motability scheme customer, and unfortunately, the Swift auto has an advance payment (upfront) of £1900 for the SZ3 and £2442 for the SZ4. I cannot afford this upfront payment unfortunately.

I can get the Alto however, without any advance payment, but thanks anyway for your reply.

Thanks for your reply. I will be getting my next car on the Motability scheme, which I think has to be a new build ordered from the factory. I may be wrong about this, but my previous cars took 8-12 weeks to be delivered.

Why not go for the ice. Specs are the same as the + but you get a few bits extra like leather seats and i believe air con. This model is new and thus could be an order. I'm not a mobility customer but i cant see the difference between a new car thats not registered and a new car thats not registered but is a factory order. There seems to be a large number of Aygo's in Toyota dealer stock in the Uk so the chance of needing a factory order seem very very low. My dealer has a mobility sign up in their showroom priced on a blue so it must be possible.

Why not go for the ice. Specs are the same as the + but you get a few bits extra like leather seats and i believe air con. This model is new and thus could be an order. I'm not a mobility customer but i cant see the difference between a new car thats not registered and a new car thats not registered but is a factory order. There seems to be a large number of Aygo's in Toyota dealer stock in the Uk so the chance of needing a factory order seem very very low. My dealer has a mobility sign up in their showroom priced on a blue so it must be possible.

Hi,

The Aygo Ice details on the Toyota website are a little on the spubik side. When you go to the specification section, it still lists the Blue instead of the Ice.

This shows the Blue having the bluetooth, so I am not sure if the Ice has the bluetooth.

I have seen some bluetooth visor hands free kits for about £50, so this is a possibility if the Ice does not have it.

I have another test drive booked for this Saturday in a 60 plate Aygo MMT and I am going to try go a bit further than my previous test drive (6 months ago), so I will see how it goes. My hopeful route if they allow me is a short stint on an A road, around a roundabout, up a hill and a turn at some traffic lights.

Hi,

The Aygo Ice details on the Toyota website are a little on the spubik side. When you go to the specification section, it still lists the Blue instead of the Ice.

This shows the Blue having the bluetooth, so I am not sure if the Ice has the bluetooth.

I have seen some bluetooth visor hands free kits for about £50, so this is a possibility if the Ice does not have it.

I have another test drive booked for this Saturday in a 60 plate Aygo MMT and I am going to try go a bit further than my previous test drive (6 months ago), so I will see how it goes. My hopeful route if they allow me is a short stint on an A road, around a roundabout, up a hill and a turn at some traffic lights.

Just remember the MMT "feels" like a manual,

not the continuous power of a true automatic.

Leaning forwards to help it along while it changes gear does not work! :yahoo:

Hope you like it as much as I like mine.

Ian.

If you elect to drive the MMT as you would your 'traditional CVT automatic' then you will be disappointed and have the same problems and issues as others have had. The MMT is *not* an automatic box, it does not behave a such and will not provide the same satisfying driving experience you have in your CVT automatic Ford or DSG equipped VAG vehicle.

The MMT is best driven as a clutches-manual and thats really the only way one should be driving it. If you use it in 'E' mode all the time, then you will find it lurchy in gear changes; hesitant when approaching roundabout and junctions; no creep (as with the CVT); no real kick-down as it is a lazy change-box and totally unsuited to be driven as an automatic.

Please, if you want an automatic, buy an automatic - the MMT is *not* an automatic.

...But if you want to drive it like a manual with an electronic clutch, then it is a *HOOT* and I would have another every time over a manual. Please research what an MMT is and see if you can adapt your driving style accordingly - otherwise you might disappointed.

The next car that I choose (which I need to decide on in the next week) needs to be one that I can drive as an Automatic.

I cannot see myself changing gear (even without a clutch) and just want to get in the car and go using just the accelerator.

I will need to be happy with my choice for the next 3 years because I will be stuck in a 3 year contract with Motability. The Ford Focus has been the first car that I have been very disappointed with due to the low MPG.

I do not want to make a mistake and live to regret it.

I will do some research on MMT as you suggest and see how the test drive goes this weekend.

Does anybody else agree with the member "ihpj"?

Thanks for your help

Mmt box imo is easy. You simply lift your foot from the gas pedal when you want to change gear!

The problem i have with using it as an 'auto' is that as a manual box with an automatic clutch, it changes down when it wants to, not necessarily when I want it to.... Also as both of us are 'light footed' it tends to change up too quickly for us. The wife gets on ok with it, but i tend now to use it as a manual - it's actually much more fun as a manual!

Give it a test drive as both....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links