Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Economy

markwhalebone

Hi all - does anyone with a 2-litre Carina E measure their fuel economy? I have had a GLi Auto 2.0 for a few months now and am getting about 30 MPG for a mixture of motorway (60-70% of miles) and town driving, which seems rather dissapointing to me. I just wondered if this is normal for this car?

There is a very strong smell of fuel when the car starts, which may just be down to some sort of automatic chocke running the mixure rich, but this is not noticable when the engine is warm - I'm not even sure if these have an auto-choke! The engine runs smooth and quiet so I assume there is nothing seriously wrong with it, and the transmission is nice too, in fact its an all round very nice car excpet for the poor economy and expensive insurance :(

Is there anything which would cause poor fuel economy but not any other noticable problems?

I had a 1.6 Carina 2 about 5 years ago and I used to get around 43-46 MPG which I was very happy with.

Mark

Hi all - does anyone with a 2-litre Carina E measure their fuel economy? I have had a GLi Auto 2.0 for a few months now and am getting about 30 MPG for a mixture of motorway (60-70% of miles) and town driving, which seems rather dissapointing to me. I just wondered if this is normal for this car?

There is a very strong smell of fuel when the car starts, which may just be down to some sort of automatic chocke running the mixure rich, but this is not noticable when the engine is warm - I'm not even sure if these have an auto-choke! The engine runs smooth and quiet so I assume there is nothing seriously wrong with it, and the transmission is nice too, in fact its an all round very nice car excpet for the poor economy and expensive insurance :(

Is there anything which would cause poor fuel economy but not any other noticable problems?

I had a 1.6 Carina 2 about 5 years ago and I used to get around 43-46 MPG which I was very happy with.

Mark

You might find some on fuelly.com

Mike

Hi mate if you go on to Autotrader to toyota carina's for sale you will find the mpg figures there for your model if there is one for sale

MPG for 2.0 ltr go to performace figues >

Ah thanks for the replies - it looks like 30 MPG is what I should be expecting. I did a motorway run from Yorkshire to Southampton the other day and got 36 MPG. Still it seems quite low. Ah well at least I have some confidence that there's nothing wrong with the car now.

Cheers, Mark

My Carina 11 1.6 auto averages 35 to the gallon on mixed journeys . I am happy with this. I agree they are nice cars but the cost of insurance is prohibitive. Why is the insurance so much?

My Toyota dealer offered a fuel mixture test on my car and I may very well take them up on this to see whether mpg can be improved and whether it is the cause of poor cold start and idle?

Another niggling fault at moment is that my driver's power window sticks and is only released with some persuation by thumping the switch pad?? I suppose it will go altogether one day?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links