Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Traffic Info

newsboy

I am just about to take delivery of the new Yaris T Spirit which comes with the integrated Tomtom nav system. At the moment I use a separate Tomtom with a small TMC RDS radio plugged into it for live traffic information.

In the handbook for the new car its says the Tomtom can be used either with a mobile phone or with TMC RDS for traffic information but it gives absolutely no clue as to how the TMC RDS unit can be connected. I notice that in some of the Aygo literature - fitted with the same system - TMC RDS is built in but there is no reference to this in the Yaris.

Has anyone had experience of either method of getting traffic information? Advice would be very welcome.

Newsboy

I am just about to take delivery of the new Yaris T Spirit which comes with the integrated Tomtom nav system. At the moment I use a separate Tomtom with a small TMC RDS radio plugged into it for live traffic information.

In the handbook for the new car its says the Tomtom can be used either with a mobile phone or with TMC RDS for traffic information but it gives absolutely no clue as to how the TMC RDS unit can be connected. I notice that in some of the Aygo literature - fitted with the same system - TMC RDS is built in but there is no reference to this in the Yaris.

Has anyone had experience of either method of getting traffic information? Advice would be very welcome.

Newsboy

Hi mate, try this link it should give you all the answers

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/eclipse2/toyota/refman/TomTom-en-GB.pdf

Regards Pete.

Many thanks for that link Pete.

I had found a similar one which I think must have been earlier and is out of date. It said that you needed an RDS TMC receiver but this latest version simply says Tomtom starts picking up the information as soon as it is docked on the dashboard.

This makes sense because the Carminat version of Tomtom used by the French in Renault installations apparently does just that and it is highly unlikely Tomtom would develop two entirely different versions. Tomtom point out that the RDS TMC traffic info is not their responsibility. However if you take their service via a mobile phone Bluetoothed to the unit, then it is their service you are receiving.

I am grateful to you for putting me on the right track. I will report back when I pick up the car next week and get to grips with it!

Cheers

Rod

Many thanks for that link Pete.

I had found a similar one which I think must have been earlier and is out of date. It said that you needed an RDS TMC receiver but this latest version simply says Tomtom starts picking up the information as soon as it is docked on the dashboard.

This makes sense because the Carminat version of Tomtom used by the French in Renault installations apparently does just that and it is highly unlikely Tomtom would develop two entirely different versions. Tomtom point out that the RDS TMC traffic info is not their responsibility. However if you take their service via a mobile phone Bluetoothed to the unit, then it is their service you are receiving.

I am grateful to you for putting me on the right track. I will report back when I pick up the car next week and get to grips with it!

Cheers

Rod

I have now taken delivery of the new Yaris T Spirit fitted with TNS 410 radio and built in Tomtom. I can confirm that RDS TMC traffic reception is now built in and needs no additional gear. Within a second or so of the Tomtom starting the traffic bar on the right hand side of the screen lights up - much faster than was the case with the original accessory units.

Really pleased with it so far. Tomtom sound through the audio system is also a great improvement.

• 3 months later...

I have now taken delivery of the new Yaris T Spirit fitted with TNS 410 radio and built in Tomtom. I can confirm that RDS TMC traffic reception is now built in and needs no additional gear. Within a second or so of the Tomtom starting the traffic bar on the right hand side of the screen lights up - much faster than was the case with the original accessory units.

Really pleased with it so far. Tomtom sound through the audio system is also a great improvement.

Hi Newsboy,

When you say "the traffic bar on the right hand side of the screen lights up", do you mean immediately, as soon as the TomTom powers up, or do you mean after you have entered a route?

I have recently bought an Aygo Go! which I believe has the same TomTom system as the Yaris. My problem is that I can't get the RDS-TMC traffic bar to appear on the screen. My Toyota dealer didn't seem to know either. The user manual is less than helpful because it doesn't really state whether the traffic bar should come up automatically or if you have to enable something. If I press the "Change Traffic Preferences" button to choose how traffic information works on my device (as stated in the manual), it just expects me to set up a wireless network associated with my mobile phone, which I don't think I need to do.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated,

daveinuk.

The traffic bar lights up within a few seconds of the Tomtom coming on. It does so without a route being planned.

I do not have a data link set up for my phone and I do not want one because I believe you have to pay extra for it on your phone bill.

I suppose it is possible the Aygo version does not support the RDS TMC system although I cannot for the life of me see why not. I found that Toyota seem to know very little about the Tomtom and I even had the local after sales manager ringing me the other day for advice on switching sound from left to right hand Speakers!

Tomtom are really helpful and it would be worth putting a question in to them.

Hope this helps

It appears that RDS-TMC is not supported by Toyota on the Aygo, you have to subscribe to Toyota Traffic via subscription. TomTom have confirmed that this is the case, though the TomTom Eclipse II / TNS410 / Toyota Aygo Connect Multimedia user manual does not appear to make this distinction, hence me tearing my hair out trying to get it to work. I believe the subscription version is pretty expensive, so I won't be bothering.

• 3 months later...

Hi daveinuk,

I have the same issue here in the Netherlands. Just bought a Aygo Aspiration Green Navigator, with a Toyota Aygo Connect Multimedia device/TomTom Eclipse II/.

After my informative calls to both Toyota (2 dealers) and Tomtom I came to these statements:

TomTom: "Based on your type and serial number, your Toyota Aygo TomTom device DOES receive RDS-TMC. It's a matter of connecting it the right way. The Radiocable does not seem to be plugged in correctly. When this has been done in the right way, your screen will show the vertical trafficbar on the right side of the screen."

Toyota Dealer 1: "There's no such thing as connecting it the wrong way. The device is connected the way TomTom instructed us."

Toyota Dealer 2: "The TomTom device was connected in the Toyota factory and we have not too much to do with it. I have not heard anyone on this issue yet. But it's worth figuring it out. I will get into this and get back to you."

My concern is that, despite the fact that the TomTom device has the TMC capabilities (and also states this in the Toyota Aygo Connect Multimedia manual on their! site!), Toyota has gone too lazy on this! I hope there's a workaround, TMC is very useful here in NL!

I hope we can help each other out. I will inform you if I hear something from the dealer.

Grts,

outrage.

It appears that RDS-TMC is not supported by Toyota on the Aygo, you have to subscribe to Toyota Traffic via subscription. TomTom have confirmed that this is the case, though the TomTom Eclipse II / TNS410 / Toyota Aygo Connect Multimedia user manual does not appear to make this distinction, hence me tearing my hair out trying to get it to work. I believe the subscription version is pretty expensive, so I won't be bothering.

post-114596-0-61775700-1320945108_thumb.

post-114596-0-89233400-1320945115_thumb.

post-114596-0-80615900-1320945123_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links