Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Caliper Colour

Rob Jarni

Hi, i want to paint the brake calipers on my White SR180 Auris.

Choices are Red, Blue or Yellow.

I think Red will stand out better, anyone done theirs?

Also my exhaust box is flaking and need to paint that. Will high temp engine paint do the job, any suggestions?

Thanks

I think Blue would be cool. Halfords do a really good one for a tenor. :thumbsup:

Go for a nice gold or bronze colour - looks more race professional and you can brag to your mates you've had them cadmium plated.:)

White car.. Red calipers!

Will look very nice. No point pretending they are something they aren't.

After reading this thread i decided to get mine done, so i've been out, bought the stuff, and come back and done them.

I decided to give the wheels a good clean while they were off, and protect them with some wheel sealant to keep them protected and hopefully make them easier to clean in the future.

As you can see, i have gone for Black.

Some pics:

Before

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

After

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0389.jpg

IMAG0388.jpg

I wasn't too fussed about getting the wheels 100% clean as they will be getting powder coated soon.

RED would look best for sure ,but dont paint where the pads sit as it may make the pads stick in the carrier

Thanks for the ideas, the black looks good on red daveyonthemove. Think I have decided for red, to match the rear lights.

My Girlfriend was trying to convince me to go for Red on mine, but i thought it would be too much red unless i could get an exact colour match, and that would be a pain.

Black just makes them look a bit cleaner without standing out too much, and when they get dirty again i won't notice so much.

Also, i plan to get the wheels powder coated white, so the contrast should look good.

I think red would be the best match for yours as the SR Badge will compliment them nicely.

I did see a white SR180 at some services last monday night, and it looked stunning. :thumbsup:

Daveyonthemove, Did you paint the calipers on the car?

Yes.

I wasn't going to the hassle of taking them off, they are mostly hidden behind the wheel and will get dirty the next time i drive it.

I just wanted them to look tidy, and that can be done without removing them.

a couple of questions for daveyonthemove, did you have to put any undercoat on, and did you put just one coloured coat on, and also did you have to leave the wheel off for the paint to dry ?

a couple of questions for daveyonthemove, did you have to put any undercoat on, and did you put just one coloured coat on, and also did you have to leave the wheel off for the paint to dry ?

No undercoat required mate. Here is a rough guide to what i used and how i did it.

Hamerite smooth black (get the smallest tin, not the large one like i did. It goes a long way!)

1 and half inch brush

Wynns Brake and clutch cleaner

Wire brush

(If you want to clean wheels while they are off)

Wheel cleaner

Wheel sealant

2 old cloths

Remove the wheel and put to one side.

Give calipers a good spray with brake cleaner and get the wire brush on any stubborn bits. I barely had to use my wire brush.

Allow 2 mins to dry.

Apply paint (put something below the caliper to catch paint if you are on your driveway) in small amounts to avoid drips and runs.

Leave to dry

Give the alloy a liberal spray with alloy cleaner and allow to soak.

Wash with mitt or sponge and rinse thoroughly

Dry the wheel on both sides

Apply wheel sealant as directed by instructions

Jobe done

The hamerite drys quickly and should only need one coat, but its worth checking it has dried evenly and you haven't missed any bits. A second coat is down to your personal choice, but i only used one and its fine.

I had all four done and the wheels back on in roughly 2 hours 30 mins.

• 1 year later...

i got yellow on my black sr, i swear it looks awesome with black, with a white car all three of ur chosen colours would look good but just remember REDs toooo common!!

Blacks good if you want ppl to look more at your wheels. The only time i ever painted them a colour other than black was when i had some nice brakes to show off. I put some 320mm brakes from a astra vxr on my astra cdti.

I did black on my old st too.

got no pics of that tho

I know its not a toyota but hopefully you will still like it lol.

65983682.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just seen this pic in my gallery, thought i'd just stick it on here :)

post-126181-0-76972200-1357424748_thumb.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links