Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Worm Gear

Krait

Today I visited my local Toy dealer to see if they would do some Warranty work on the 1.6 that I recently purchased (2007).

I have had a rattle in the driver's footwell from day 1 and could not trace it to anything exact. The workshop guy took it for a test drive and told me that the steering worm gear was worn out and that caused the rattle. There is a Technical Service Bulletin for this problem so it is obviously fairly common (I guess).

Anyway, the good news is that it is a warranty item and they will be doing the work shortly when the parts arrive. Pleased that the cause of this most annoying rattle has been located and will be corrected soon.

Incidentally, 58k on the clock.

Krait

Today I visited my local Toy dealer to see if they would do some Warranty work on the 1.6 that I recently purchased (2007).

I have had a rattle in the driver's footwell from day 1 and could not trace it to anything exact. The workshop guy took it for a test drive and told me that the steering worm gear was worn out and that caused the rattle. There is a Technical Service Bulletin for this problem so it is obviously fairly common (I guess).

Anyway, the good news is that it is a warranty item and they will be doing the work shortly when the parts arrive. Pleased that the cause of this most annoying rattle has been located and will be corrected soon.

Incidentally, 58k on the clock.

Krait

Technically your car will have a Rack and Pinion steering and does not have a Worm Gear Steering Box. Worm gear steering is generaly found on some four wheel drive and commercial vehicles.

Big Auris

Hey Big Auris,

I have not seen this steering gear. The only certainty is that it does not include a steering ram as most cars do these days. I sincerely hope it does not have a rack steering systems as my Humbers, Triumphs, Vauxhalls...etc used to have with ball bearings.

If it has a rack and pinion, why did the Toyota Workshop supervisor instantly diagnose a Worn Worm gear. Which sounds just like the the old Humbers.....etc. I'm only the messenger.

Maybe I'll know more after the job is done.

Cheers,

Krait.

Hi Krait as far as I know all Aurises have Rack and Pinion Steering, the modern power steering generaly does not have a external hydraulic ram as in the old days, but is all self contained in one unit. I believe there has been known cases where a faulty steering column caused a rattle. Keep me updated as how you get on.

Hey Big,

Hope you don't mind me using your first name.

Got my car done yesterday and the rattle has disappeared. Regrettably did not talk with the workshop supervisor as was out.

However, the Quotation stated: "Column Steering T45250-02673 £838"

So, it appears to be the complete Steering Column, not just a gear or whatever.

Maybe someone can verify the specific item from the part number above.

Very pleased with the service and delighted that the rattle has now disappeared.

Krait.

Forgot to add that I can now replace my Cruise Control that I had removed for this Warranty work just to avoid any dispute.

Krait

Hey Big,

Hope you don't mind me using your first name.

Got my car done yesterday and the rattle has disappeared. Regrettably did not talk with the workshop supervisor as was out.

However, the Quotation stated: "Column Steering T45250-02673 £838"

So, it appears to be the complete Steering Column, not just a gear or whatever.

Maybe someone can verify the specific item from the part number above.

Very pleased with the service and delighted that the rattle has now disappeared.

Krait.

Hi Krait the part number you gave is for a complete Steering Column and not for the Steering Rack, hope all your rattles are gone

That is apparently what they replaced.

Thank heavens for the Warranty.

And yes, all the rattles have disappeared.

As an additional bonus, I was advised that they had found a nail in my N/S rear tyre and they repaired it for free. All part of the service, I was told. Marvellous Service, I must say. And I sent the Manager an e-mail of thanks for just that.

They gave me an Auris hybrid as the courtesy car. Very nice and easy to drive. Minimal boot space as the batteries shared this space. unusual Auto gearstick. 3 position:

middle - Neutral

Top - drive.

Bottom - Reverse.

Cheers

Krait.

This is what was replaced on your car

475445670_o.jpg

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for this info and the drawing. Very informative.

What is the designation for this part number? or Title? And do you knnow what it's function is?

This is my first Electric Steering system and am curious to know how it works and the parts involved.

right after this message I will google Electric Steering and see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Krait

Your steering will certainly be rack and pinion, only a very very few cars (if any??) nowadays use the recirculating ball and nut (sometimes referred to as worm and sector) system though I believe some trucks still do ...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!!

Glad you got it sorted out easily :)

The parts catalogue calls it a steering column, which is slightly misleading, it is only the upper part of the column containing the EPS (Electronic power steering) unit

EPS is more efficient than the older hydraulic systems as it operates via an electric motor so only needs to do this when the steering wheel is turned, older hydraulic system ran constantly and took power away from the engine via a drive belt.

The part number you posted is correct

It does have a rack and pinnion steering rack

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links