Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T180 Poblem. Any Ideas?

wardude

Hey dudes

I have noticed this on and off for quite some time but never been able to get it to repeat whn I wanted it to. Now I have been able to so here it is

When cruising in 5th or 6th and you put your foot down to accelerate theres a slight "slip" of the gear. It starts accelerating and then revs jump up by about 500 revs for a split second then its ok and car keeps accelerating. Best way I can describe it is like when an automatic car slips due to lack of gearbox oil etc. When acceleratin from a standstill (even hard accelerating) it doesent do it. There is no rattling or noises etc, justb the very slight "slip" once the slip has happened its ok

any ideas?

All best

Shaun

Hey dudes

I have noticed this on and off for quite some time but never been able to get it to repeat whn I wanted it to. Now I have been able to so here it is

When cruising in 5th or 6th and you put your foot down to accelerate theres a slight "slip" of the gear. It starts accelerating and then revs jump up by about 500 revs for a split second then its ok and car keeps accelerating. Best way I can describe it is like when an automatic car slips due to lack of gearbox oil etc. When acceleratin from a standstill (even hard accelerating) it doesent do it.

any ideas?

All best

Shaun

How many miles is on the clock? Sounds like to me as maybe a clutch problem. Have you tried putting it into 1st gear and leave the hand brake on and try and move off? Does it slip at all? Just make sure you do this in a safe un-trafficed road or your driveway btw! :thumbsup:

Hi mate

It has 60,000 on but had a new DMF and clutch approx 20k ago. Yeah I tried that and the car just stalls no prob at all. Just rang my mate the mechanic and he reckons just a small slip of the clutch due to maybe a spot oil or summitt and just to keep an eye on it. As far as I know the clutch is self ajusting? Dont get me wrong, it isnt real bad its just a split second slip but I thought it may be the start of summit thats gonna be expensive

My mate also said that the 2 Hiluxs he has have a similar problem. When going up hills pulling a trailer they are fine, but other times in 5th gear it slips when you accelerate. Maybe its a Toyota thng?

If the DMF and clutch plate has been replaced only 20k ago then it would be unlikely that the clutch is on the way out then. Your mate might be right about it being a Toyota thing then. Just keep an eye on it and if its get worse let him take a look at it :thumbsup:

No probs mate :thumbsup:

I take it this is a 4.3 Rav4 as it has a 6th gear? O and just notice the title T180 :rolleyes:

I do recall something about backlash is the gear box on these models? but can`t remember if there was a fix for it?

There was a thread on it If I remember correctly.

Ta matey, Ill PM Anchorman. He knows everthing cos hes the Daddy lol B)

No probs Anchorman is the daddy, but may be busy in a Toyota KGB meeting ;)

:meet:

Very true. But he knows if he doesnt answer me, he will wake up with a horses head in the bed :!Removed!:

Horses head, sheep, its like a ruddy farm yard in my bed.

The amount of backlash is tiny - just enough to hear it at idle.

How often does it do this?

Hey Anchy babe

It happens almost everytime you hit the accelerator in 4th gear upwards to power away and overtake. If your just gentle and dont push it hard it wont do it. Just if you boot it. Once the actual "slip" has slipped its stops and is ok. The slip is only a split second but I did watch the rev counter and the revs briefly shoot up and then it bites and is ok. That is ok until you hit the accelerator again to overtake summit else

Hey Anchy babe

It happens almost everytime you hit the accelerator in 4th gear upwards to power away and overtake. If your just gentle and dont push it hard it wont do it. Just if you boot it. Once the actual "slip" has slipped its stops and is ok. The slip is only a split second but I did watch the rev counter and the revs briefly shoot up and then it bites and is ok. That is ok until you hit the accelerator again to overtake summit else

I've pm'd you but looking at this explanatgion I wonder if there is oil on the clutch. There was a TSB = I'll have a look if I can find it.

Hi mate

I pm'd you back. Yeah my mate reckons oil on clutch. When you asked me if it was raining well yesterday it was and we went through some massive puddles. Can water ingress and cause this problem? Dont get me wrong its not a horrendous slip. But it is a slip all be it for a split second

all best

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links