Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Keyfob Not Just Key

Dave16

Hi, so the 2001 RAV4 I recently bought only came with one key (with two buttons on the fob for the central locking), the garage said there was another key but they'd lost it. So they had another one made for me.

The replacement key doesn't have the two little central locking buttons. It will however open or lock a single door. And it will even start the engine.

The problem with this is, if I've locked the car with the main fob button, the replacement key sets the alarm off and I can't find a way of turning it off, other than waiting for it to stop. And if I lock the car with the replacement key, it doesn't prime the alarm. So it's basically useless.

Is there any solution other than paying shedloads more to have a "proper" keyfob with buttons made for me, and if not, can someone give me an idea of the cost involved and where I can get a second button-style keyfob and key cut?

Thanks.

Sounds like they have given you the third key designed just to perform the basic functions. If its a different colour (greyish) it was probably provided when the car was new.

If the dealer had the facilities to make another key for you albeit without the remote buttons , can they not make you a key with the remote buttons? To obtain one from a main dealer , including programming it will cost about £140!!! Could try E. Bay but you still will need to get it cut and programmed.

Thanks, the new key is black and brand new, they told me they had just had it made specially for me and the company who made it thought it didn't need the buttons in order to operate the alarm.

Presumably it does require the special buttons, or am I missing something regarding how to stop the alarm going off if I open the car with the new spare?

Thanks, the new key is black and brand new, they told me they had just had it made specially for me and the company who made it thought it didn't need the buttons in order to operate the alarm.

Presumably it does require the special buttons, or am I missing something regarding how to stop the alarm going off if I open the car with the new spare?

I think that your alarm should stop when opening the car with the new key if you put the key in the ignition :thumbsup:

Have you tried that?

Just take it back, explain that it is not what is needed and ask that they source you the correct two button key. They had the original and lost it after all.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links