Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is My Toyota Engine In Danger?

jumrose

I have toyota avensis 2000 model hatchback.I broke my oil dipstick but as i was on a journey i taped it and put it back.When i got back broken half fell in.It was not half piece but slightly smaller than half.

Is my engine in danger now?

Shall i try to take it out?

If yes then how can i take it out?

Please if someone can help me i would really appreciate.

Thanks.

I think the answer has to be yes... it could be at risk.

I was trying to think of what parts are actually in the sump (where the broke piece will be) and it's possible it could be like this,

http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/engine.htm

There's not much danger to the oil pump as that would have a strainer over the intake.

Perhaps someone who knows the engine in detail could advise better but as I understand it there are moving parts that "dip" down into the sump.

So its a sump off job I'm afraid.

I think the answer has to be yes... it could be at risk.

I was trying to think of what parts are actually in the sump (where the broke piece will be) and it's possible it could be like this,

http://www.tribology-abc.com/abc/engine.htm

There's not much danger to the oil pump as that would have a strainer over the intake.

Perhaps someone who knows the engine in detail could advise better but as I understand it there are moving parts that "dip" down into the sump.

So its a sump off job I'm afraid.

Thx mooly.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't you undo and slide the dipstick tube off? Or does the dipstick go thru the rocker cover?

If there is still quite a bit of dipstick left in the tube it will probably fall out the bottom of the tube and hit the sump, trapping its self in the tube.

You have to remember there is only an couple of inches gap between the bottom of the dipstick tube and the bottom of the sump. Kinda hard to fit 7 or 8 inches of dipstick thru that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links