Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

On The Edge Of Buying One

MLW2233

I'm new on here but have been following the threads. I have a 2000W reg 9-3 auto SAAB which over the last 3 years has been great. Its done 88,000 and could go on for maybe 5 years +. However, I am considering making a 'controlled change' before any big items of expenditure arise, or anything goes.

We only have one car so reliability is a key. A Prius it is then. 3 people at work have them, two have had two; and each loves them.

My only slight problem is that prices do seem very high, and some of them have racked up very high mileages that do not seem to be reflected much in the price being asked.

I am looking for a 2006-7-or 8 Gen 2. Would like a spirit but not too fused as the toys do little for me, and the basic model seems loaded. I have always bought private and serviced all my cars myself. However, I accept here a Toyota service record is key to the Battery guarantee.

Normally when asking advise on what to look for 5-6 things stand out, but here almost nothing does (apart from the water pump, has it been done). So .....

1). I have seen a few at Trade Sales of Slough at good prices, almost trade prices. Anyone have any experience of them?

2). With about £7,-9,000 to spend I am looking for 10 years of reliable motoring; probably I will run it into the ground. Anything that I should look for?

Cheers.

I'm new on here but have been following the threads. I have a 2000W reg 9-3 auto SAAB which over the last 3 years has been great. Its done 88,000 and could go on for maybe 5 years +. However, I am considering making a 'controlled change' before any big items of expenditure arise, or anything goes.

We only have one car so reliability is a key. A Prius it is then. 3 people at work have them, two have had two; and each loves them.

My only slight problem is that prices do seem very high, and some of them have racked up very high mileages that do not seem to be reflected much in the price being asked.

I am looking for a 2006-7-or 8 Gen 2. Would like a spirit but not too fused as the toys do little for me, and the basic model seems loaded. I have always bought private and serviced all my cars myself. However, I accept here a Toyota service record is key to the battery guarantee.

Normally when asking advise on what to look for 5-6 things stand out, but here almost nothing does (apart from the water pump, has it been done). So .....

1). I have seen a few at Trade Sales of Slough at good prices, almost trade prices. Anyone have any experience of them?

2). With about £7,-9,000 to spend I am looking for 10 years of reliable motoring; probably I will run it into the ground. Anything that I should look for?

Cheers.

Good luck with your search. :thumbsup:

There are plenty around but the prices are firm - good for me as I will no doubt trade mine in after a couple of years but not so relevant if you intend running into the ground. I agree that the mileage has little effect on the price so I would look for a low mileage example. I would also buy from a main dealer with a year's warranty even if that did cost £1000 more but then I am fussy and don't like too much risk!

The T Spirit has the reversing camera which is a big plus as the rear visibility is otherwise poor.

The paint is soft but that is true of modern cars in general. The interior on the Gen 2 is basic but I don't know of any real problems.

David

I had a job selling my immaculate low mileage Gen 2 privately so it went to my local dealer and it sold within a week with £2000 more price tag than I was asking for it. There is a good selection of low mileage Gen 2 Prius at dealers around the country. I would recommend a T spirit. The gen 3 holds its second hand price fairly well. I do not think you will regret buying a Prius they are very reliable but not too good in winter unless you have snow tyres. I also suggest getting it from a Toyota dealer who will give a genuine warranty.

I had a job selling my immaculate low mileage Gen 2 privately so it went to my local dealer and it sold within a week with £2000 more price tag than I was asking for it. ...later... I also suggest getting it [your Prius] from a Toyota dealer who will give a genuine warranty.

I think Chris has put his finger on the nub of the problem. Due to the increased complexity of the hybrid drivetrain and the dependency upon the hybrid Battery, I suspect most buyers are wary of buying a Prius privately. As a result, not only will dealer cars command a premium but they will also be easier to sell. Particularly with the dealer warranty, which a private seller cannot include.

If a reader is trying to sell a Prius privately, then you might like to consider getting a Warranty Direct quote. You could then offer to sell the car privately with such a 3rd party warranty. It would reassure the nervous buyer and, once they have engaged with you to the extent of visiting and having a test drive, they would probably decide to save the money and not bother with the warranty anyway.

Prius [is] not too good in winter unless you have snow tyres.

:unsure: I found my new Gen3 was EXCELLENT in the snow on factory fit 17" tyres. In the deep snow we had over the last Christmas period, my car went places that other front wheel drive cars just could not do. That stellar performance may have been assisted by the still-new tyres (my car was only a couple of months old). But I was still very impressed. :toast:

t not too good in winter unless you have snow tyres.

The gen3 is pretty good in the snow and ice with stock tyres and better with snow tyres (if you can get them). The gen2 (from what gen2 owners have said) has different traction control which can leave the gen2 stranded in the winter. This was improved with the gen3. Perhaps some gen2 owners can clarify?

The Spirit speck changed 2007 or possibly late 2006 to include the reversing camera & autopark, It really is a good camera & it the only thing I definitely wouldn't be without.

I didn't have a single problem in the snow in my Gen2, when stuck behind a wheel spinning idiot in front (it's impossible to wheel spin the Prius ) I let my car move in EV mode without barely even touching the pedal & passed a row of stuck cars with ease. I did however get stuck on my sloping drive a couple of times so I ended up getting a bag of salt/grit & laid two tracks :yahoo:

The only trouble our GenII had in snow was

1) deeper snow builds up in front of the low front end. Especially bad where 4x4s have made tyre grooves and a central hump in fresh snow.

2) Going uphill over a miniroundabout we crawled over at about 5mph...other cars were wheelspinning, some needing a push. We kept moving but traction control was fairly active.

Things to look for:-

1) Around 4-5 years the 12V Battery will probably need replacing

2) The door skins are thin and get parking dings easily where people open their door into yours.

3) Check the mats are pegged down, genuine,and not stacked up.

4) The 195-55-16 tyres are an odd size. Higher pressures give better mpg.

5) Be careful who services it as they can blow systems easily.

6) You can't bump start a Prius and must follow the correct jump start sequence. You can't jump start from a Prius (or rather I wouldn't risk it)

Not used our Gen 3 in snow yet but our sons 57 Gen 2 in the French alps was not so good. Traction control kept coming in. When snow tyres got fitted the Gen 2 Prius was excellent in the ice and snow.

MLW if you do get a Prius ensure you shut the boot firmly. Not doing so will flatten your 12v Battery very quickly. Many owners have had this.

Agree with cootuk only let Toyota dealers service and repair a Prius.

If you are unfortunate to break down then also be careful what any roadside repair people do.

If there's no power (so you can't select neutral) then the drive system will also be locked so they may have to lift onto a trailer rather than drag it up onto the flatbed. Can they put small rollers under tyres?

If they start messing with electrics then make sure they know what they are doing rather than guessing. Better to get recovered back to Toyota than a local bodge shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments. I am still looking, and it is most frustrating, as I have some time and the cash in my account.

I can't belive some of the prices being asked for cars with very very high milages on them. A 90,000 mile car is really 9 years old, and usually the price tumbles on such a vehicle. Anyone know of a good private purchase site apart from Autotrader?

Thanks for all the comments. I am still looking, and it is most frustrating, as I have some time and the cash in my account.

I can't belive some of the prices being asked for cars with very very high milages on them. A 90,000 mile car is really 9 years old, and usually the price tumbles on such a vehicle. Anyone know of a good private purchase site apart from Autotrader?

If you decided to buy from a dealer instead of privately, the Toyota website is currently showing 37 Prii at less than £10,000 and PistonHeads has 9 cars that fit your criteria but they are all from dealers.

I am looking for a 2006-7-or 8 Gen 2. Would like a spirit but not too fused as the toys do little for me, and the basic model seems loaded. I have always bought private and serviced all my cars myself. However, I accept here a Toyota service record is key to the battery guarantee.

Cheers.

I bought my VW from Trade sales, their prices are great but no negotiation. Ask for part exchange and it seems to put them off you for some reason. They sell you the car and if something goes wrong you have to take it up with the manufacture under warrantee. My VW had about £2400 work done. The Prius is great and am looking to trade it in for Gen 3 now. The prices seem to hve gone up. Same spec. same year more milage £500 more then what i paid for.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Finally got one. Looked everywhere and was surprised to see the condition, service history, and especially the milage seem to be reflected less in the price than in other normal cars. In the end I went to Toyota main dealer and got a 2008 (08) T3 with 32,000 miles on it. One owner for £9,300.

Pick it up on Tuesday. They are doing the Toyota thing to it. I was told if the checks show the tyres are less than 3 mm, they will automatically replace them,. Interesting. They throw in Toyota mats but nothing else. Barely got anything off it. It will have a new MOT, tax, and AA breakdown.

It looks a really good price to me for th

e whole package.

Is it? Also, how much fuel is two bars?

Hi two bars left not enough!(tight buggers) 1 bar is about 2 gallon so 2 bars 2/3 gallon

Given the harsh winter we have just had (ie plenty of salt on the roads), I would ceck the brake discs for rimming from corrosion. Because the Prius hardly uses the discs, the gunk builds up on them and eats into the discs.

I'd say that price is about right.!

I got my 2007 T spirit from a main dealer in december and paid just over 10K for it with 33k on the clock. You should be pleased with it either way, I've loved mine. It makes for an almost perfect every day car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links