Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Uk 20K 2 Years Old D4D Yaris Engine Fail

lex0013

Hi

The Engine in my 2009 Toyota Yaris Diesel 6 gear D4D gave out last week Just 1 week after JEMCA dealership service.

So first time on the motorway after the service I hear a clunk loose power and see smoke. Pull over as engine completely cuts out.

Oil leaking out and continued till I reckon all 4 or 5 litres came out. AA took car back to the London, UK , JEMCA dealership where it was serviced.

only 2 years old with 20,000 miles.

I keep calling JEMCA and can never get hold of anyone who knows what's really going on, and never get my promised callbacks. So I have also been calling Toyota GB directly.

At this point JEMCA say that the problem was the ECU wrongly pumping too much oil into the Turbo. I rung Toyota GB and they say the fault is actually unknown???

Jemca say they are going to replace Short Block and Head, Turbo and reprogram the ECU under the warrany. Toyota GB say only short Block and Head will be replaced and there still undecided on the turbo.

Has anyone got any opinions on this? As I would have thought this much damage should mean a brand new engine and Turbo. However neither Jemca or Toyota GB will even discuss this.

Thanx

Alex

At this point JEMCA say that the problem was the ECU wrongly pumping too much oil into the Turbo

Meaningless rubbish. Impossible...

HI, sorry about your problems, there are known faults with the Yaris and Urban Cruiser. There is a problem with the ECU programming which causes incorrect fuel injection amounts and spray patterns. This can cause fuel wash within the combustion chamber and thus fuel gets into the oil and dilutes it badly. Once the dilution reaches an excessive amount it gets past valve stem oil seals into the combustion chamber and/or the the turbo seals and can either cause the turbo to fail due to insufficent lubrication or in worse cases send the oil/fuel mix into the combustion chamber causing the engine to over rev and fail , if a diesel engine starts running on its own oil you can't stop it. If an excessive amount of oil gets into the intake system it may also blow off one of the pipes to the intercooler. In some cases the oil change light may flash on the yaris or urban cruiser when their not due a service, do not dismiss this as the light also indicates oil degradation or incorrect level and could be an early warning of possible future issues.

Oil consumption is a major problem also on the yaris and urban cruiser , the main causes being poor design of the turbo allowing oil to leak into the intake system and the vacuum pump internal valve fracturing and having a similar affect.

A modified turbo and vacuum pump are now available and also an enhanced ecu reflash.

Toyota warranty will cover all needed repairs while within the warranty period.

An important point that should never be overlooked but always is is checking your oil level regularly and not assuming that its right.

Hope this explains things

• 1 month later...

Only just read this but you may be interested in my experience

I bought the same model in May 2009. This was my 3rd Yaris D4D. I'd always chosen this model and manufacturer for the reliability and engineering excellence.

But as soon as I drove this new car I knew it wasn't right. I kept telling the dealer but all they suggested was an oil consumption check, every 500 miles. They wouldn't believe me that this car was using copious amounts of oil but with me being a Lady of a Certaon Age, they were somewhat patronising, probably thinking I didn't know much about cars.

After 3 months of this, they agreed to take the car on a test drive and it stopped, for no apparent reason, 5 mins into the drive, in the middle of a busy 4 lane roundabout. Thatw as when they decided the car was dangerous and wouldn't let me drive it away !

The short version of this story is similar to Alex's and North East Tech.I was offered a new short motor. I was not happy with this and insisted on a replacement new car under the Sales of Goods Act. After quite a few weeks I got one! I am a Driving Instructor so claimed my considerable expenses too of hiring a dual contriol car to enable me to work. They paid all of them.

I got a new free replacement car in Nov 2009. Within 2-3 months the idling was noisy. Again they gave me pathetic excuses eg. "when the weather gets warmer the oil gets thinner and the engine gets noiser"!I asked if the noise could be the clutch release bearing. They said no way but put in a new clutch and the noise went away. Another replacement was the gear knob as the very sharp metal insert had cut into my hand and made it bleed. Also had a new boot lock fitted when the original wouldn't open. The suggestion for this at first was that "plastic expands when the weather warms up". I think the dealer was realising that he'd picked the wrong woman to insult by now.

A few months later I again became concerned about the awful chugging from the engine when stationery and the blue exhaust smoke coming out in huge clouds at other times, again when stationery (embarrassing too in my job)

I tried a different dealer and was at first fobbed off with a "computer upgrade". That was no good so I asked if, when they had fittied the turbo mod at the first service, and the mod of the mod on a subsequent recall, they had cleaned out the ERG valve. Now Iw as talking to the Chief Technician. He said no and offered to do that and fit a new vac pump at the same time.

Funnily enough (!) the ERG valve was absolutely clogged with carbon and now it's been cleaned and the pump replaced, the car seems OK (4 months later) He did advise to "give it a good rev every so often tho to clear it's throat". I do that and great clouds of black smoke comes out of the exhaust. So much for cleaner greener engines !

BTW, I heard of another Instructor who had the same oil problem with the same 2009 model. His car was leased and he got a replacement too.

What on earth has happened to Toyota's once excellent reputation for engineering excellence ? I would like to replace this car in a year or so but don;t want another Mon / Fri car.

Margaret

Yeah, we've found that you do need to take the D4D on a good hard motorway thrash now and then if you only ever do city driving.

If the engine rarely gets above 2000 rpm, it never really gets hot enough to help burn and blast off the carbon deposits that build up in the exhaust and EGR. Additionally, the injectors can start to get clogged as they aren't really stressed.

I usually only drive mine around town (Except when called on to be the family airport taxi! :lol:) and I started noticing a gradual power loss a few months after I got my Mk1, but on advice from the lovely people here :D gave it an 'italian tuneup' and that seemed to help :) :lol:

Now I make sure I stretch its legs some times (One great thing about the D4D is I can go on random joy drives on country roads and motorways without worrying about fuel :D), and every 3-4 months I throw a tank of V-Power diesel in for its extra engine cleaning properties (If only it was cheaper!)

Mine's been running fantastically all the time since I've been taking these extra steps. :thumbsup:

At this point JEMCA say that the problem was the ECU wrongly pumping too much oil into the Turbo. I rung Toyota GB and they say the fault is actually unknown???

Jemca say they are going to replace Short Block and Head, Turbo and reprogram the ECU under the warrany. Toyota GB say only short Block and Head will be replaced and there still undecided on the turbo.

Has anyone got any opinions on this? As I would have thought this much damage should mean a brand new engine and Turbo. However neither Jemca or Toyota GB will even discuss this.

Thanx

Alex

A short motor and head IS a new engine, it is just that your dealer will have to build it, if a new turbo is required, then that will be replaced too

If you dont get any information from your dealer, then make an appointment with the Service Manager to explain what is going on, then make sure you speak to him on every ocassion

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi had loads of probs with our d4d it was using oil at 1 ltr per 1000 miles dealer says was normal(AND DID MY WIFE KNOW HOW TO DRIVE A DIESEL).They finally addmited the turbo was no good changed it and flashed the ecu and been fine since.All this started after 3000 miles .Would i buy one again ??? NO back to VW for us

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links