Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Bearing Failure - Multiple Times

ToyoCoro

Hi Guys

I'm in desperate need of some advice. I have a 2003 Toyota corolla 1.6GLS with 140000KM on the clock and I replaced my wheel bearings 3 times. The first 2 times, the bearings did not last for more than 3000KM's each time. I have to admit I bought cheap Chinese bearings.

The 3rd time which was about 1000KM's ago was replaced with original wheel bearings on both sides. The noise of the old bearings were so bad that driving at speeds of 80-100KM/Hr produce the following sound. A grinding dragging sound and I would best describe it like a piece of wood being dragged on a tarred floor.

Today, while driving very slow (10KM/H), I found that turning both left and right would produce the very similar sound as described above. And this frustrates me because I've spent money replacing the bearing 3 times and they don't last more than 3000KM's. My question is could it be the bearing this time or is it something totally unrelated?

I must also mention my left side CV joints has failed and my car continuously makes a clicking sound when turning right. Hopefully this will be repaired by the end of this month.

Guys, I'd be so grateful for any assistance and advice. This problem has been recurring for the past 8 months and this time I spent money on good parts to find this coming back to haunt me.

Thanks

T

A worn CV joint will cause the driveshaft to be out of balance hence the wheel bearings will deterorate rapidly.

Also how here the wheel bearings fitted - with a big hammer or a press.

Also check the engine earth strap.:)

you should replace the hub flange as well as the bearing when replacing wheel bearing. there are copy hub flanges available but i went to the dealer for mine cost me in the region of £90 including vat.

also check the flange and bearing are correctly aligned when being pressed into the wheel hub. obviously using a big hammer is not the way forward. even a relatively small 1 ton press will have enough pressure to carry this job out.

obviously the worn cv will not be helping the situation, i would look to get all this work done at the same time and also check your wheel isn't buckled and that the wheel/tyre is balanced properly. even something minor like a warped brake disc can cause the wheel to be out of balance as it will exert a force on the bearing when turning which shouldn't be there. there are loads of small variables like this you should take into account.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links