Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dab Radio

diverdave

Hi all,

I am looking for a conversion kit that would allow me to recieve DAB radio on my Gen iii radio, the only decent bit of kit that I have found so far is the Pure Highway, which costs about £80. Has anyone installed this, if so what did you think of it? It seems to do the job but looks a bit of a faff to install, or has anyone found something better?

Regards,

Dave.

The official Toyota kit, it is just plug and play and nicely hidden away, steering wheel controls still work, as does sound muting when satnav instructions get voiced etc....

The official Toyota kit, it is just plug and play and nicely hidden away, steering wheel controls still work, as does sound muting when satnav instructions get voiced etc....

True, but I baulked at the £700 plus that I was quoted to buy and install it . . . . . :eek:

Can't remember what we paid, it wasn't much of a consideration as we wanted it integrated in a car that has everything else integrated. But I am pretty certain it was not more than half that.

True, but I baulked at the £700 plus that I was quoted to buy and install it . . . . . :eek:

Nonsense, the original DAB accessory is under £400, you need an hour or so to fit it

Kingo :thumbsup:

Interesting, thank you. Does that include VAT?

I will ask them again and let you know how I get on.

Mine was £325 inc VAT before negotiating the full discount of the overall purchase. That included vitting as well.

Thanks all for your replies, the Pure Highway has too many wires hanging about for my liking, and the reception seems to be a bit dubious. The Toyota one seems to be the way to go, but the price seems a bit high, and what happens to the radio that they are replacing, do you get to keep that and maybe sell it on ?

Regards,

Dave.

I have a Pure Highway on my Gen2 and I have hidden all the cabling away behind the dash, including the aerial, and velcroed the unit onto th dash right in front of the steering wheel, where I can see the display. Its always set to Planet rock so tuning is no problem. I can either use the Aux in or the inbuilt tuner option, either work well. If I can figure out how, I'll post a pic.

As said before it is a plugin module, it does not replace your existing radio it adds to it. So they don't take it out nor keep it.

Whether you like a £25k vehicle to then bodge it up for the sake of saving £200 quid you'd only be able to answer that.

:eek: Hope you aren't implying I bodged my installation :crybaby:

Not necessarily the installation, but IMO the smooth lines of the interior with unintended equipment and breaking the safety features like integrated controls yes.

I received a written reply from the local dealer this morning with a quote that is considerably lower than the figure that they gave me verbally some time ago and as follows:

"The fully fitted price including VAT is £486.75".

It still sounds like a lot of money for a radio module.

I received a written reply from the local dealer this morning with a quote that is considerably lower than the figure that they gave me verbally some time ago and as follows:

"The fully fitted price including VAT is £486.75".

It still sounds like a lot of money for a radio module.

Especially as a) it may not work all over the UK, and b ) the government may change the format before we finally switch over whenever that may be!

FM doesn't work either all over the uk. I would have sold the car long before that happens if it happens.

Mine was £325 inc VAT before negotiating the full discount of the overall purchase. That included vitting as well.

Would you mind telling me which dealer gave you this quote? I could be interested at that price.

Would you mind telling me which dealer gave you this quote? I could be interested at that price.

£325 is less than the cost price so was obviously subsidised in the car purchase, it would cost me considerably more just to buy the unit let alone fit it, so you are not going to match his price

Kingo :thumbsup:

Luton Toyota but as part king says I bought it at timeof car purchase with whole raft of other options, everything but leather and trade in of car. So perhaps that is why. Sound quality is excellent in combination with jbl upgrade :-)

• 3 years later...

Parts King, how much is the DAB conversion for a November 2013 Prius T4?

Rather than the Pure Highway, I'm going to load an app on my phone to get music over the net, then put an fm transmitter onto the phone.

Quite a cheap way seeing as I only want Radio6 - but wife can also use it to spew her cr@p when she's alone in car.

The big problem with cheaper fm transmitter installs is finding a free frequency given the number of pirate stations.

The big problem with cheaper fm transmitter installs is finding a free frequency given the number of pirate stations.

Ah the problem with living in Bradford then?

The fm band is crammed when you drop down into Bratford. You sure there's nothing playing that takes your fancy?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links