Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Losing Coolant Fast

deekie

hi folks,

was wondering if anyone can help me, my 53 plate celica is losing coolant fast, checked coolant which was below min filled it 4 days ago and have driven maybe 20 miles max since. went checked it again tonight and found the coolant level was below min again !! filled up and left the car running for 20 mins coolant level seems fine but i noticed there appeared to be water on the road under the exhust????

would be grateful if any one could help

deekie

Toyota changed the coolant for the Gen 7 from Red "For Life" to Pink "Long Life" a few years ago. Unfortunately, this revised coolant shortens the life of the Water Pump Gasket, so this would be the first thing i'd check. If the Gasket seems OK, have a good look at the Radiator as it's not unusual for them to start leaking after seven years or so.

HTH :)

Are you checking your coolant in the morning when the engines cold? Thats the only time you can accurately check it as your reservoir will go below minimum when the engines hot and refill when its cold.

You may have a leak, but a puddle of water from around your exhaust may be normal. My 98 model used to do this sometimes but I didnt lose coolant. My mechanic told me this was my car ejecting condensation from the air conditioning? It dripped out of an open pipe in the firewall.

• 3 months later...

I recently had my radiator changed on my 2003 celica as it was leaking coolant(the lower part of the radiator was corroded ) i had the new pipes and thermostat. it only leaked slowly but if i had the hot air on, it would drain within a 30 minute drive to near empty.

Rad weld helped for a bit until i had the money for a new rad.

I was going to get my brother to change it but he said something about a reverse flow system and it needing to be bleed in a certain way so said i was best off going to a garage. All in it cost about £400+.

F.y.i - changed clutch at 85,000 (mrs had something to do with that!!)

Hope this helps

The radiators are prone to go on these. Mine went, so I changed it to a Alu rad. The system has to be burped as I believe there isn't a release valve, however even burping it takes ages.

Glad you got it sorted though.

bleeding the system is no diff to any other car...i dont see how people have such trouble bleeding these cars

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links