Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Mpg - Bars Vs Mileage

Dizeee

We have discussed this before I know but after 6 months of using the IQ to commute to and from work (two thirds of which on the motorway) I seem to be getting amazing results.

My average MPG reads 60 as a maximum as it won't go higher, and this is what it always reads after a few miles of constant 60mph after refuelling. I think I am getting about 72-75pmg on average.

My best miles achieved with all bars illuminated was 162 - at 163 the first fuel bar extinguished. At 275 miles I went to half a tank. I am currently at 302 miles with still half a tank showing. I know I can get 420 miles to a full tank from previous experiments driving with a jerry can of fuel in the car, but I never ran out of fuel and believe 450 is possible. If I have done 302 miles and still have half a tank of fuel showing, in theory I can crack 600, so I am going to once again take a gerry can in the car and aim for 450 miles this time.

When the last bar starts flashing 100 miles is the range I have achieved, so when it starts I will update this thread with the mileage and see how far I get.

What are your worst and best?

So far, worst has been 458 miles on 38 litres, best was 811 miles on 37.5 litres.

(Yaris Mk1 1.4D4D tho', not an IQ :unsure: :D)

Do you actually have fun driving when trying to achieve high MPG? Cos I dont lol so I never try!

Also I dont think you will get 600 miles just cos your half a tank and at 300. The lower half always seems to go down quicker than the top half of the gauge! Just my opinion though!

Please do your test I like you got 61 mpg at 60 mph on my IQ2 from Aberdeen to Glasgow please keep us updated

Mr Ben

Cyker, 98 MPG, really.

8.25 gallons used for 811 miles, amazing.

Its hardly worth manufacturers trying to develop more economic engines when there is one that can do min. 55 mpg & nearly 100 MPG max.

Mr Ben,

Aberdeen to Glasgow along Dual Carriageway & Motorway (& 22 miles of roadworks @ 40mph) doing 60 mph,

or is that an average 60mph for the journey? Again amazing & slow.

george

I get 57mpg as an average (which I'll happily take, as although not someone who thrashes through the gears, at 5:30pm I am thinking about getting home more then mpg)

I can go 130 miles without losing a bar, then lose 1 a day! If I get 280 miles before like starts flashing I'm lucky, then of course I fill up when I see cheapest petrol. Don't like leaving it too long when I have my little boy in the car.

Maybe my guage is broken and I have more petrol left then I think, I won't lose too much sleep over it though. It's a company car that travels the A127 each day, and some town driving.

Dan

@cyker

Sorry, but 2,87 Liter/100km is not possible with iQ on regular streets!!

I have done 2,8 Liter/100km (best weather, outside city, very slow, no aircondition,...) only with Prius.

* 8,25 UK g = 37,7 Liter and 811 miles = 1305,1 km

The post by Cyker says the 98mpg over 811 miles was achieved with a 'Yaris Mk1 1.4 D4D'

not an iQ.

george

Yeah, sorry, I am notorious for jumping into people's mpg threads, sorry! :unsure::lol:

The 811 miles thing was 99% motorway driving airport runs, trying to stick to 60mph and lots of coasting in-gear, large gaps and engine-braking abuse.

I actually think I could do close to 1k miles on a tank in this car if the motorways were clear enough and if it was just me in it!

It's not always that great tho', city driving pulls down the mpgs down to more 'normal' levels; Last tank was 549.5 miles on 39.29 litres which is about average for the 75% city/25% country/motorway driving I do.

City driving is the realm of the HSD-equipped cars tho'; Some of the smug buggers are managing 70+ mpg in pure town driving, which is incredible! :eek:

IIRC the IQ has the same engine as the Aygo but is slightly heavier, so that 70-odd mpg is very good indeed! :clap::thumbsup:

Oh, and be careful if you're going to literally run it dry; I know for us D4D folk that that can be very bad for the engine... :unsure:

On my IQ3 the last few fill ups have run along the lines of 62-57-52-56 mpg , worst was around 43 (a'really does what it says on the tin, sprint' along the A14). a lot depends on weather/speed/time of year/electrics in use, etc . winter i seem to get 51-52 , summer 52-60.

If i just use the climate control to get the interior temp down for a start, and then run with the windows open a crack (window air defectors help)and stick to the usual 60-65 mph , i get high 50's .

tony

My commute is pretty much all on the motorway,around 120 miles a day, and the best I've had was 79mpg, but its generally between 69mpg and 75mpg.

Richard

My average MPG reads 60 as a maximum as it won't go higher, and this is what it always reads after a few miles of constant 60mph after refuelling. I think I am getting about 72-75pmg on average.

Dizeee, sorry if you already know this but there is an official fix for the "60mpg" limit on the trip computer.

It should read up to 99.9 on the overrun.

Your dealer should know all about it and is done under warranty.

Drawback is (if it is a drawback!) your odometer is zeroed, as they replace the whole unit.

On my IQ3 the last few fill ups have run along the lines of 62-57-52-56 mpg , worst was around 43 (a'really does what it says on the tin, sprint' along the A14). a lot depends on weather/speed/time of year/electrics in use, etc . winter i seem to get 51-52 , summer 52-60.

If i just use the climate control to get the interior temp down for a start, and then run with the windows open a crack (window air defectors help)and stick to the usual 60-65 mph , i get high 50's .

I made it past 3,000 miles recently and for the first time since getting the car I'm seeing 40+ MPG on the dash's overall average read-out around town. It's an iQ3 multidrive.

Been on holiday at home so not being driving far.

My 2011 1.0 multidrive shows 49.8 average when being used around town with a few cold starts a day & maybe just 10-15 miles covered each day, & actually when topped up after a week has done 51 mpg ish. 105 miles for 9 litres. (ave milage doesnt reset with only 9 litres added)

Tried the same using my partners new iq3 multidrive for a few days, (1000 miles on the clock)it was showing 45.7 average for a few days after topping up & did 45 miles for 4.2 litres brim to brim which i thought was fine.

Must say the 15" rims & tyres of the iQ are a comfier ride on the potholes over the 16" rims & to my mind make a better handling car on the back roads with bad surfaces.

Much prefer the 1.0 for the sound & go below 60 mph, will need to see how the 1.3 is after running in.

I have had a roadtest now in an Audi A1 Sportline 1.4 122 bhp with DSG, (no 185 bhp was available).

Great interior & seating position almost the same as an Iq.

Beautiful car all round & fun just like a Fabia & Polo i have driven, but i didnt think it felt worth an extra £4-5000.

Would like a Quatro A1 version when it comes out but only if it gives more smiles than being in an iQ.

The salesman really thought we were nuts when we kept saying how the A1 didnt feel like an iQ. I said to him he should go try mine, but he just didnt seem interested, kept on trying to say how good the fuel consumption was etc & couldnt understand our lack of interest.

Service plan is fantastic value with Audi tho.

I smile inside at all the drivers in 2 seater MX5/Merc/Porsche etc. that must think i look a right plonker in my small car, but possibly have no idea how much room i have compared to them & possible more fun without the worry/expense.

george

Been on holiday at home so not being driving far.

My 2011 1.0 multidrive shows 49.8 average when being used around town with a few cold starts a day & maybe just 10-15 miles covered each day, & actually when topped up after a week has done 51 mpg ish. 105 miles for 9 litres. (ave milage doesnt reset with only 9 litres added)

Tried the same using my partners new iq3 multidrive for a few days, (1000 miles on the clock)it was showing 45.7 average for a few days after topping up & did 45 miles for 4.2 litres brim to brim which i thought was fine.

Must say the 15" rims & tyres of the iQ are a comfier ride on the potholes over the 16" rims & to my mind make a better handling car on the back roads with bad surfaces.

Much prefer the 1.0 for the sound & go below 60 mph, will need to see how the 1.3 is after running in.

I have had a roadtest now in an Audi A1 Sportline 1.4 122 bhp with DSG, (no 185 bhp was available).

Great interior & seating position almost the same as an Iq.

Beautiful car all round & fun just like a Fabia & Polo i have driven, but i didnt think it felt worth an extra £4-5000.

Would like a Quatro A1 version when it comes out but only if it gives more smiles than being in an iQ.

The salesman really thought we were nuts when we kept saying how the A1 didnt feel like an iQ. I said to him he should go try mine, but he just didnt seem interested, kept on trying to say how good the fuel consumption was etc & couldnt understand our lack of interest.

Service plan is fantastic value with Audi tho.

I smile inside at all the drivers in 2 seater MX5/Merc/Porsche etc. that must think i look a right plonker in my small car, but possibly have no idea how much room i have compared to them & possible more fun without the worry/expense.

george

Yes, an IQ is very much a bit of a Tardis and such a lovely place to be in! Those who have not experienced an IQ will never quite "get it".

Their loss.

Yeah, that is the funny thing about an IQ - As long as you don't look behind you it feels like you're in a much larger car :lol:

I was surprised at how spacious it feels in the front; It feels much roomier than my Yaris up there!

We have discussed this before I know but after 6 months of using the IQ to commute to and from work (two thirds of which on the motorway) I seem to be getting amazing results.

My best miles achieved with all bars illuminated was 162 - at 163 the first fuel bar extinguished. At 275 miles I went to half a tank. I am currently at 302 miles with still half a tank showing. I know I can get 420 miles to a full tank from previous experiments driving with a jerry can of fuel in the car, but I never ran out of fuel and believe 450 is possible. If I have done 302 miles and still have half a tank of fuel showing, in theory I can crack 600, so I am going to once again take a gerry can in the car and aim for 450 miles this time.

When the last bar starts flashing 100 miles is the range I have achieved, so when it starts I will update this thread with the mileage and see how far I get.

What are your worst and best?

You must be driving a 1.0. Litre manual. The iPhone app I use states 35 mpg around town and 206 miles between fill ups for a 1.3 Litre Multidrive

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links