Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mmt 2006 Problem

maccapacca

Hi,

Just joined and I'm very sold on forums, lots of info and knowledge.

First problem to start, Bought a Yaris 2006 MMT 1.3 T3A last week, the gearbox is awful, can't make it's mind up what gear to be in, doing 30 it'll be 2 > 3 > 5 < 3 then as you roll it'll change with the speed so you just end up gaining speed, it won't idle and roll you have to jab the throttle then it takes off with a spin, same in reverse, it won't change down when you slow.

Argh have I bought a lemon.

BTW it's only got 19,000 miles on it with one owner.

Any help would be appreciated before a garage tells me it needs a new box & clutch & actuators & solenoids

Cheers

I could just leave a smart alec comment to the effect "that sounds about right for the MMT"! :rolleyes:

It most certainly isn't though. Did you buy privately, from a franchised dealer or an independent dealer? How was it when you had a test drive?

You have more comeback with a dealer of either type. Going by what you say, the car isn't working correctly so take it back.

Hopefully all it needs is a reset of some kind. Failing to "creep" sounds like a clutch reset is required.

What's it like in "M" mode, does the gearchange take place when you do it yourself?

I did have a Yaris MMT for a short while, even though it did do some very strange things there was nothing like what you have described.

Hi purchased privately so it's all down to me to fix

M mode is delayed and jerky.

Just had it MOT'eed and they run it on a OBC and it's showing no fault codes, they had a look over and can't see any obvious problem, looks like I'll have to go and butter up Toyota

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sam

I have similar problems with a near identical 2006 Yaris MMT T3. Just over 17,000 miles and one previous owner.

Controlling revs and speed going down hills is almost impossible as it jumps between gears. Manoeuvring is a horrible process as it doesn't engage for ages, and then suddenly bites and jumps forward with far too much speed. Creeping forward at blind junctions is nearly impossible due to this.

I have an appointment with the local Toyota garage tomorrow to investigate. If they consider it to be 'normal' behaviour, I will be looking to get a new car as soon as finances will allow.

Will let you know how it goes...

Andy

Unfortunately these seem to be common complaints with the MMT's.

You could try driving it in manual mode, and/or resetting the MMT's ECU by disconnecting the Battery for a few minutes.

If it started off okay but has gradually gotten worse, resetting the MMT will usually return it to its default state. If they try and flog you a new ECU, try this first!

It is very annoying that the Auris MMT had a firmware update that has made it almost pleasant to use, but this hasn't been filtered down to other MMTs, particularly the Yaris and Aygo.

A reset can be dIY for zero cost..as Cyker suggests...

thats all very well but it might have a stored fault.....not all faults show a warning light also checking the clutch count will tell you how worn the clutch is.....its pointless resetting it if the clutch count is very high

I must be lucky with mine. Also 2006 and 18000 miles, there seems to be a knack with these boxes to make it smooth, one thing I have found is to keep it in Es when town driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links