Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Obd 2 Scanners

tubaman

Just purchased a USB OBD II device from eBay.

As its not a genuine Elm device, certain software wont seem to work with it (eg. scantool.net) however, I can manage to use Touchscan.

What other software (ideally decent & free) is available to use as the device itself seems to work well.

hi tubaman,

Can you provide a link to which Elm you have exactly bought?

I'm in the same boat as I've just bought an Elm 327 Bluetooth (v1.4) and want to know too. My thread is here:-

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126865

Two good links I have found....

bluetooth from an Android phone.... http://www.appbrain.com/app/torque-lite-%28obd2-car%29/org.prowl.torquefree

PC software.... http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/drivers.htm

I have just used Scanmaster ELM and a bluetooth ELM to diagnose oxygen sensor problem (p1155) and clear the error.

Away to try the Torque Lite software on my wife's android phone when she gets home.

Suspect I may then purchase the full blown TorquePro software for the massively inflated price of $4.79... :-)

With bluetooth unit and Torque software you can be driving along and monitoring all sorts of data realtime which

appeals to the geek in me. Can just hear the conversation ...."Actually office I was doing 75.46mph exactly"

hi tubaman,

Can you provide a link to which Elm you have exactly bought?

I'm in the same boat as I've just bought an Elm 327 Bluetooth (v1.4) and want to know too. My thread is here:-

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126865

Two good links I have found....

bluetooth from an Android phone.... http://www.appbrain.com/app/torque-lite-%28obd2-car%29/org.prowl.torquefree

PC software.... http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/drivers.htm

I have just used Scanmaster ELM and a bluetooth ELM to diagnose oxygen sensor problem (p1155) and clear the error.

Away to try the Torque Lite software on my wife's android phone when she gets home.

Suspect I may then purchase the full blown TorquePro software for the massively inflated price of $4.79... :-)

With bluetooth unit and Torque software you can be driving along and monitoring all sorts of data realtime which

appeals to the geek in me. Can just hear the conversation ...."Actually office I was doing 75.46mph exactly"

Another good site I have found.....

http://www.lambdapower.co.uk/default.asp

thanks for those links ken, but are they not demos? i bet there are loads of ppl with pirate versions of the latest elm software :eek:

thanks for those links ken, but are they not demos? i bet there are loads of ppl with pirate versions of the latest elm software :eek:

Billy12345,

Most of them are yes BUT it depends what you want to do with the software as many of them do the basics

and a bit more which I suspect would do for most people. Using the full blown software gives masses

of more (useless?) information that most of us will not have a clue what it's about. If you are unsure

then would recommend the android app Torque Pro for $4.79. Obviously you would need an android phone

to use it but it works very well.

I used one of the demos apps to diagnose a problem and then clear the error. It did give me a lot more information

in the process, most of which I wasn't needing or wanting.

Ken

thanks ken.

I don't have an android phone and won't be getting one for another 4-5 months, but i thought if i'm gonna get it later, i might as well grab a bluetooth elm.

I have received the elm today, but don't have a clue how to use it as it has no instructions. It has come with PCMScan 2.4.8.

I don't want to mess up my car, so are there any instruction i can follow?

Also can you recommend any other software for the laptop/pc?

thanks ken.

I don't have an android phone and won't be getting one for another 4-5 months, but i thought if i'm gonna get it later, i might as well grab a bluetooth elm.

I have received the elm today, but don't have a clue how to use it as it has no instructions. It has come with PCMScan 2.4.8.

I don't want to mess up my car, so are there any instruction i can follow?

Also can you recommend any other software for the laptop/pc?

Billy12345,

You will need a laptop/PC with bluetooth on it.

Install PCMScan onto laptop. You may have to set it up to receive data via bluetooth but should do it automatically.

Install ELM in car on socket. Turn on ignition so ELM is getting power.

With laptop/PC close to ELM search for bluetooth devices. Laptop should find ELM and try and connect and pair. Password was 1234 on my one.

You then should have the laptop connected and paired with the ELM through bluetooth. You *might* need a bluetooth ELM327 driver installed on laptop.

If all is connected and paired then open up PCMScan software and hopefully it should connect up to ELM327 and start reading data etc.

You *may* have to go into connections to get it to look for a bluetooth device.

Try it and see how you get on.

I will down load the demo PCM327 sw and see if I can familiarise myself with it.

Ken

:crybaby:

I don't believe this!!!! I think my car doesn't support obd II.

I setup bluetooth and it looks like it chose COM6. So I went into PCMScan settings and chose COM6 and ELM. I then switched the ignition to ON and waited for a few seconds before clicking CONNECT.

PCMScan reads:-

[12:02:51.901] Wed Aug 03 12:02:51 2011

[12:02:51.901] PCMSCAN™ v2.4.8 (Build 855)

[12:02:51.948] Applying license for: *****

[12:02:51.948] Creating New Configuration File...

[12:02:51.979] License applied successfully!

[12:02:51.979] Loading OBD-II Parameter Set...

[12:02:52.089] Loading PID scripts...

[12:02:52.089] Loaded 3 PID scripts.

[12:02:56.425] Opening OBD-II Connection...

[12:03:10.668] Failed to open OBD-II connection! Error 104: Error detecting OBD-II protocol.

What do I do now? :unsure:

:crybaby:

I don't believe this!!!! I think my car doesn't support obd II.

I setup bluetooth and it looks like it chose COM6. So I went into PCMScan settings and chose COM6 and ELM. I then switched the ignition to ON and waited for a few seconds before clicking CONNECT.

PCMScan reads:-

[12:02:51.901] Wed Aug 03 12:02:51 2011

[12:02:51.901] PCMSCAN™ v2.4.8 (Build 855)

[12:02:51.948] Applying license for: *****

[12:02:51.948] Creating New Configuration File...

[12:02:51.979] License applied successfully!

[12:02:51.979] Loading OBD-II Parameter Set...

[12:02:52.089] Loading PID scripts...

[12:02:52.089] Loaded 3 PID scripts.

[12:02:56.425] Opening OBD-II Connection...

[12:03:10.668] Failed to open OBD-II connection! Error 104: Error detecting OBD-II protocol.

What do I do now? :unsure:

I have a 2002 petrol Avensis Verso.....yours MUST support it as mine works fine.

Don't force it to use COM6....just ask it to look for ODB devices which is should do automatically.

Try just connecting to the bluetooth ELM327 device without using the PCMscan software.

Can you see it as a bluetooth device in your control panel on laptop?

If that works then connection between ELM327 and laptop is fine.

I tried the demo PCMscan software and when it opened up I just did a connect and it found the ELM327 device

and then started building the data up.

Ken

hi ken,

The Elm327 is detected and paired with the bluetooth device and has no problems on the laptop. i've tried AUTO on PCMSCAN, but i still get the same error. I found other people mentioning this issue too with the same software and were told to try a more uptodate version of software, but they still had problems.

Yours is petrol, therefore your okay i believe upto 2001, whereas mine is a 2004 diesel, so i'm not too sure.

EDIT: Just spoken to several toyota dealers. They said they can't tell if it is OBD2 compliant, although they are 70-80% sure it should be. All they said was the car was actually made in June 2003 and registered Jan 2004. :unsure:

Here is a more close up shot of the pins of the obd connector...can you tell by this? :-

2w38780.jpg

3160p5k.jpg

Can anyone please help me with the above problem :crybaby:

Can anyone please help me with the above problem :crybaby:

Billy, it's hard to see in your pictures which pins are present in your connector. The pin numbers that are used will determine what protocol your car uses. This document should spell it out for you:

OBDII Overview

Hi james,

i tried the Elm on my friend's Mercedes vito diesel 04 plate (2004). the software Easyobd picked it up, even though it clearly stated the vehicle was not obd II compliant and allowed me to do basic checks.

This only brings me to the conclusion that the obd connector is not working on my Avensis as it stops at "No vehicle response / Connection or Power":-

2nb9gzt.jpg

is there anyway of fixing this? :help:

Hi james,

i tried the Elm on my friend's Mercedes vito diesel 04 plate (2004). the software Easyobd picked it up, even though it clearly stated the vehicle was not obd II compliant and allowed me to do basic checks.

This only brings me to the conclusion that the obd connector is not working on my Avensis as it stops at "No vehicle response / Connection or Power":-

is there anyway of fixing this? :help:

Did you read the OBDII Overview link I posted above? It states:

2004 or newer model year diesel vehicle sold in the European Union

Commission Directive 70/220/EEC, Annex I:

8.2. Vehicles with compression-ignition engines

Vehicles of category M1, except

- vehicles designed to carry more than six occupants including the driver,

- vehicles whose maximum mass exceeds 2500 kg,

from 1 January 2003 for new types and from 1 January 2004 for all types, must be fitted with an on-board diagnostic (OBD) system for emission control in accordance with Annex XI.

Note that here "European Union" means countries which were members of the EU in 2003.

Maybe your Avensis was built just before this directive went into effect. Which means it is not OBDII compatible. You could confirm this by trying another scan tool from a friend or a shop. Most auto parts stores here will check for codes free of charge. If their scan tool won't work, then perhaps you could sell your ELM to your friend with the Merc.

I think you might be right. My vehicle was:-

1. Made in June 2003, but registered on 02 Jan 2004
  2. Is a 7 seater

But if that means my connector is not obdII, then what is it? obd1? and what tool would be required for vehicles which are older models?

Lastly even if it wasn't obdII compliant, surely we should get some sort of communication?

Just to add my bit, mine is diesel Avensis 03 and it gets connected to OBDII without any trouble.

hi sam,

is your Avensis a 7 seater?

I actually rang toyota today and every dealer gave me the same answer that my vehicle does have an obd2. They also said that even if your vehicle is not obd2 compliant, it should still communicate with a scanner at the very least....me thinks its a faulty obd connector. Any way of checking or fixing this? :help:

Billy mine is just ordinary saloon.

Try to offer and locan 7 seater avensis free obdII check (same year as of yours) and you will get the answer.

If it is not OBDII compliant, then you need to find out what compliance does it need :thumbsup:

hi sam29,

I've already confirmed this on kelsey forums where the member has stated that his dad's vehicle - Avensis Verso 2.0 D-4D (2003) model is OBD2 compliant and therefore confirms my suspicions that the connector is faulty.

What shall i do now? :crybaby:

hi sam29,

I've already confirmed this on kelsey forums where the member has stated that his dad's vehicle - Avensis Verso 2.0 D-4D (2003) model is OBD2 compliant and therefore confirms my suspicions that the connector is faulty.

What shall i do now? :crybaby:

I will not believe that and try it on other car before I come to any conclusion.

If you think you OBD socket is faulty, then check its wire and clips.

Thanks.

I think you might be right. My vehicle was:-

1. Made in June 2003, but registered on 02 Jan 2004
  2. Is a 7 seater

But if that means my connector is not obdII, then what is it? obd1? and what tool would be required for vehicles which are older models?

Lastly even if it wasn't obdII compliant, surely we should get some sort of communication?

It's possible that it's only compatible with a Toyota proprietary scan tool. But you said you suspect the connector might be defective? I would beg or borrow another OBDII scan tool and see if it can connect.

One more thing. Look at the pins on your ELM adapter. Make sure that none of them are pushed in. They should all be the same length more or less.

I can't get hold of another scanner...the Elm pins are definately same length.

Someone on the other forum has said that:-

High chance that the car could be CAN (Toyota started to switch around this time from ISO 9141 to CAN) ELM won't work need to use KWP2000 lead

Has anyone heard of this lead or used it?

My RAV4 is CAN bus and the ELM works fine on it.

but your Rav is 2008, so all vehicles, whether petrol or diesel would be working after 2004 definately.

Also i might have realised an issue. If you look at my photos, pin 4 isn't there...i believe all scanners require this pin :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links