Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bg244

The Cav

I added a can of BG244 about 1500 miles ago, hoping to cure a slight roughness around idle.

Sorry to say there has been no noticeable improvement in idle, power or smoke produced (it didnt produce any before either).

May be when I finally get round to cleaning the EGR valve there may be an improvement (90k and never touched, mainly does short town routes)

Regards all

Bazzer

Cheers for the update so far, its early days yet.

As a point of interest have you ever used any sort of additive/cleaner in this engine ?

Nope

This is the first time.

As a point of interest have you ever used any sort of additive/cleaner in this engine ?

Nope

This is the first time.

Its certainly a hell of a test, after 300k why did you feel the need to try one now ? (were you having problems)

Nope

This is the first time.

Its certainly a hell of a test, after 300k why did you feel the need to try one now ? (were you having problems)

No problems apart from when carrying 4 passangers and me and having throttle on WOT, it smoked black (didnt matter which gear).

Its worth a try, I guess but I think people are paying way to much for a can of injector cleaner. Its probably cheaper to change fuel filter and put some decent diesel in!

Ive done around 140 Miles, and not noticed any change in performance or in smoke levels emmited!

edit...

It has caused an odd problem,

The car does not want to start every time.

It kind of coughs and splutters.

Nope

This is the first time.

No problems apart from when carrying 4 passangers and me and having throttle on WOT, it smoked black (didnt matter which gear).

Its worth a try, I guess but I think people are paying way to much for a can of injector cleaner. Its probably cheaper to change fuel filter and put some decent diesel in!

Ive done around 140 Miles, and not noticed any change in performance or in smoke levels emmited!

edit...

I`m probably jumping the gun before the BG244 has done its job but I have to say that after 300k the injectors will have some wear (unless they`ve recently been changed) and is the likely cause of the excessive smoke etc.

Has anyone tried the petrol version of BG244 (forget what its called) if so, were they pleased with the results.

got no trouble with my vvti, but just interested.

Hiya mate,

The BG44 is very good stuff! just like the BG244 for the oil burners.:thumbsup:

Powerenhancers have an offer on it atm with a code. If anyone wants the code just let me know...

Nope

This is the first time.

edit...

I`m probably jumping the gun before the BG244 has done its job but I have to say that after 300k the injectors will have some wear (unless they`ve recently been changed) and is the likely cause of the excessive smoke etc.

Right....

Update number 2.

I have covered around 800 Miles now and not impressed with the product. Like all injector cleaner products Its pretty much a waste of money. You guys are much better off replacing your fuel filters and not spending 30£ on a product which does nothing. OR put good diesel in instead of supermarket crap.

Same ammount of smoke underload.

No diffrence in engine noise.

Now the question of my injectors in the engine.

Yes at 300k+ they would have some where, but the orginal injectors from the 1CD=FTV were diffrent then the new current range.

Word of warning, it dont do what on the tin.

I somehow had the feeling that would be the result of your findings, I did say it couldn`t work miracles and after 300k its probably too much expect it to remove all the deposits.

Yours is the 1st negative in the use of BG244 I`ve heard but 300k miles without any form of attention to your injectors is damn good going and nothing other than replacement could realistically be the solution to your problems.

Changing the fuel filter at the sevice intervals is obviously recommended but that only gets rid of the crud caught in the filter it doesn`t actually dissolve/dislodge it from the whole fuel system. :)

I somehow had the feeling that would be the result of your findings, I did say it couldn`t work miracles and after 300k its probably too much expect it to remove all the deposits.

Yours is the 1st negative in the use of BG244 I`ve heard but 300k miles without any form of attention to your injectors is damn good going and nothing other than replacement could realistically be the solution to your problems.

Changing the fuel filter at the sevice intervals is obviously recommended but that only gets rid of the crud caught in the filter it doesn`t actually dissolve/dislodge it from the whole fuel system. :)

Its not the first mate

I have read afew comments relating to this.

Just use good branded fuel.

You pay for what you get.

Its not the first mate

I have read afew comments relating to this.

Just use good branded fuel.

You pay for what you get.

Post them up bud, I`ll be interested to read them :o

Oh and I agree with using decent juice :thumbsup:

I've recently used the stuff on my oil burner and after circa 700 miles cant say I've noticed any difference BUT I regularly use Millers Sport and the engine has only done 60K (barely run-in for a diesel ?).

Millers Sport smells very similar to the BG stuff for diesels (Cetane ?) - I guess if I had been using poor fuel & no additive then I may have noticed a difference.

It's certainly no miracle cure for injectors/fuel system

I've recently used the stuff on my oil burner and after circa 700 miles cant say I've noticed any difference BUT I regularly use Millers Sport and the engine has only done 60K (barely run-in for a diesel ?).

Millers Sport smells very similar to the BG stuff for diesels (Cetane ?) - I guess if I had been using poor fuel & no additive then I may have noticed a difference.

It's certainly no miracle cure for injectors/fuel system

As you`ve said if the systems already clean what more can it do ?

Cmia I would sugguest at 300k that the injectors have a bit more then a "some wear" and at that level of wear very little will make much impression on any smoking issue you have.

Going back to other basics, cleanned the maf recently is the airfilter clean/been changed recently? As both of those will affect smoke?

I think any injector cleaner might make a slight diffence but for injectors with over 300k on them then you most probably need new injectors to make any difference to smoke level. Remember injectors are a wearing component the same as air filter/oil filter shockss tyres etc. The only difference is they last a bit longer then other bits (or rather should last a bit longer).

What ever the smoking issue hope you resolve it and let us know what caused it.

Cmia I would sugguest at 300k that the injectors have a bit more then a "some wear" and at that level of wear very little will make much impression on any smoking issue you have.

Going back to other basics, cleanned the maf recently is the airfilter clean/been changed recently? As both of those will affect smoke?

I think any injector cleaner might make a slight diffence but for injectors with over 300k on them then you most probably need new injectors to make any difference to smoke level. Remember injectors are a wearing component the same as air filter/oil filter shockss tyres etc. The only difference is they last a bit longer then other bits (or rather should last a bit longer).

Well that was my thinking as well but I presumed as an experienced professional diesel driver with over 300k on the clock I didn`t want to appear to be telling `ya granny how to suck eggs` :)

Well that was my thinking as well but I presumed as an experienced professional diesel driver with over 300k on the clock I didn`t want to appear to be telling `ya granny how to suck eggs` :)

Let me clarify my previous posts. My car is a Licenced Taxi in westyorkshire.

Taxis have more checks done,every 6 months we have a taxi test (MOT is extra).

Part of our taxi test is the emissions test, without load the car revs fine

and does not smoke at all.

On the search to see why it only smokes on WOT and with full load I took the

injectors out and inspected the tips, These tips were not burnt or degraded.

I did not send them away for testing as previous when a OBD computer had been

plugged into the car. The computer reads off the live values and states non of

the injectors are over fueling or trying to compensate for another.

This leads me to belive that the injectors are not at fault! I have always put good grade

of fuel. Never shoddy stuff.

Whilst I had the injectors out I performed a compression test on the engine.

All the cylinders showed good compression.

All the sensors are cleaned pretty much every service. I have even gone to the extreme of

draining the tank, cleaning it and installing a larger fuel filter from a newer avensis.

The EGR has been replaced (well swapped from another car) and the airflow sensor also tested

in the sameway.

This leads me to belive that the injectors are not at fault! I have always put good grade

All the sensors are cleaned pretty much every service. I have even gone to the extreme of

draining the tank, cleaning it and installing a larger fuel filter from a newer avensis.

The EGR has been replaced (well swapped from another car) and the airflow sensor also tested

in the sameway.

Still sounds like you might have a problem with the MAF and the car is overfuelling or turbo overboosting :wacko:

in the sameway.

Still sounds like you might have a problem with the MAF and the car is overfuelling or turbo overboosting :wacko:

If turbo was overfuelling, then It would make more power and go into limp mode.

I am not sure buddy!

I am still looking for a cure!

in the sameway.

If turbo was overfuelling, then It would make more power and go into limp mode.

I am not sure buddy!

I am still looking for a cure!

Yeah that was happening with my twin turbo Jag 2.7d, dealer replaced both MAFs

There's nowt worse than an elusive problem like an itch you can`t scratch.

At least your is car useable and still earning.

Give me a straightforward component failure anytime :D

Best of luck mate, safe motoring

I Can only go on what my car is like now

and my annoying smoke problem has for the time being ceased

but then again my motor has only just done 108500 miles

I can say that the smoke problem was heavy smoke when accelerating after going around bends

or when trying to pick up the pace when the car was ambling along in gear and I didn't change down

that doesn't happen now ....lets see what happens when it clocks a few more miles up...

• 2 weeks later...

Well today i'm a little annoyed

I have noticed a few smoke clouds behind my car .....not as severe as in the past but never the less their there

I'm hoping its poor fuel but it is Shell fuel bought in Bolton last week....I must admit though the car has been feeling a bit sluggish this week....poor fuel I wander

I'm off to Somerset in a weeks time so i'm hoping it might clear again on the run...

I just might try another bottle of millars in with the fuel for Somerset ... I will have a little think about that

I just might try another bottle of millars in with the fuel for Somerset ... I will have a little think about that

Try this `Magic Bullet` as an alternative instead, I`ve bought a bottle but not used it yet.

If nothing else its unique in the fact it has no odour. :)

http://remapz.co.uk/BuyMagicBullet.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Here's the latest update

I put a bottle of car plan stop smoke in approx £25.00 of fuel and ran around for a week or so

then before I set off to Somerset I put a bottle of car plan Injector cleaner in the tank and filled up with £60 of diesel

result no smoke now ..... I think the diesel I got a week or so before was poor quality as I suspected

I will watch now for further deterioration through the winter months

But I still think BG244 is magical it did what all the others didn't or couldn't do ....stop my 2.2 from smoking

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links