Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

80 MPH Speed Limit?

Steve

Do you think we should have 80mph speed limits? France already has this?

Recently on french roads and that extra 10 mph makes a difference.

Not sure that'd be a good thing, I think our motorways are more crowded than over there, when you consider that France has approx twice the land mass and a population of around 65 million with ours being approx 61 million and 75% being car owners, i like their idea of having two different speed limits for wet and dry weather conditions though, with the lower limit being for wet weather driving.

Wouldn't make a difference, we'd still spend most of it driving at 50!! :crybaby::lol:

French roads/ motorways are less congested than ours, so probably wouldn't be good for rush hour but variable speed limits I would welcome not only depending on the weather but also on the volume of traffic

I thought we already had a 80 limit judging by the maniacs recently experienced on the M 25. It is a common assumption that the police turn a blind eye to 80 on a motorway. I wonder if that is true?

I thought we already had a 80 limit judging by the maniacs recently experienced on the M 25. It is a common assumption that the police turn a blind eye to 80 on a motorway. I wonder if that is true?

Friend of the wife and i,was a magistrate until recently and told us the police ignore any speed below 83 mph on duel carriageway.dont know if this a local thing here in Norfolk though.

What police? Rarely see any on the M25, they're all hiding behind cameras!

I was on the M25 yesterday and discovered why some people complain that their Prius only gets 40mpg.... 3 Prius overtook me - I was doing an indicated 69 and they shot past me!!!

What ? whiter than white, holier than thou, self righteous Prius drivers speeding ? :eek: ........Never :no:..... :lol: :lol2:

Just Pulling Your Leg :D........ sort of :lol:

What ? whiter than white, holier than thou, self righteous Prius drivers speeding ? :eek: ........Never :no:..... :lol: :lol2:

Just Pulling Your Leg :D........ sort of :lol:

Lol, no point in speeding, you always have to have one eye on the mirror or an eye out for cameras... Much more relaxing to stick to the limit and watch everyone else lose their licences!

I think the cars are capable of a safe 80MPH however I don't think the same can be said for the drivers or the roads. They're not built and designed well enough to cope with the extra 10, as mentioned before we are just far too crowded.

And when I heard of further budget cuts to the UK roads... I thought to myself: What can they possible not do on top of everything else they don't do with our roads!?

I don't suppose road tax will lessen with this budget cut...

KP

Most people drive around 80 (indicated) anyway so it probably wouldn't make a huge difference...course since speedo's in the UK over-read by a silly amount, most people would still be close to 70 anyway...

Speaking of enforcing limits, some prat of a councillor around here has decided that one of our roads needs a 20mph speed limit because people are ignoring the 30 limit. Not quite sure what lowering the limit is going to achieve if they don't even enforce the higher one. It's not necessary anyway, I've never seen anyone drive faster than 30 on that road...it's impossible given the number of potholes, roundabout and parked cars. These cretins would get a hell of a lot more respect if they stopped dictating and started listening. Anyway...rant over...

Most people drive around 80 (indicated) anyway so it probably wouldn't make a huge difference...course since speedo's in the UK over-read by a silly amount, most people would still be close to 70 anyway...

Speaking of enforcing limits, some prat of a councillor around here has decided that one of our roads needs a 20mph speed limit because people are ignoring the 30 limit. Not quite sure what lowering the limit is going to achieve if they don't even enforce the higher one. It's not necessary anyway, I've never seen anyone drive faster than 30 on that road...it's impossible given the number of potholes, roundabout and parked cars. These cretins would get a hell of a lot more respect if they stopped dictating and started listening. Anyway...rant over...

I think ypu may have a point. Perhaps if speed limits were realistic they may be more likely to be obeyed?? Or is that too simple?

I think 100 would be better.... but the problem is the standard of driving is so low....

Go on the German de restricted auto bahns and you notice lane discipline is perfect... - and they just have two lanes!

The comment about UK speedometers is correct too!

People sitting in any lane other than the slow lane when not overtaking or in traffic should get an immediate £500 fine and 6 points. - these are the people that cause more disruction on out motorway networks than the odd person doing 100 in suitible conditions.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links