Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Electronic Key

zetor

After 6 months in my Auris HSD I still haven't decided where the best place to put my key fob when driving the car! If I put them in my pocket I cannot get them out easily to use the garage door opener, if I leave them on the front passenger seat they can fly off if I have to brake sharply, I find it awkward to retrieve them from the small shelf in the center consol, so I was just wondering where other Auris owners put their's?

Delegation is the name of the game matey. :rolleyes:

Car transponder in your trouser pocket.

Garage door zapper to the wife. [They like to feel involved] :hug:

In the Prius there is a very conveniently placed cup holder with a lid so the key stays in my pocket and the garage remote and parking money are in the cup holder. The Prius also has a credit-card sized slot under the dash which seems to have no purpose in life so this is the ideal home for petrol and AA cards. :D

In the Prius ????? :D

That's a lot of help to an Auris owner, please read the post properly and just keep to relevent Auris topics. :mad2:

I've always advocated a dedicated Auris Forum for this reason. :ffs:

Oops sorry. :blush:

I promise I won't even read any Auris posts in future.

Promises - Promises.

Had bit of a low 'Victor Meldrew' threshold yesterday. :2guns:

I specially invite you to read future Auris posts Optfex because of your tolerant and understanding demeanour. :cheers:

Oops sorry. :blush: I promise I won't even read any Auris posts in future.
Promises - Promises. Had bit of a low 'Victor Meldrew' threshold yesterday. :2guns: I specially invite you to read future Auris posts Optfex because of your tolerant and understanding demeanour. :cheers:

Invitation accepted, thank you. :thumbsup:

After 6 months in my Auris HSD I still haven't decided where the best place to put my key fob when driving the car! If I put them in my pocket I cannot get them out easily to use the garage door opener, if I leave them on the front passenger seat they can fly off if I have to brake sharply, I find it awkward to retrieve them from the small shelf in the center consol, so I was just wondering where other Auris owners put their's?

Here's an idea. Keep a lanyard something like this in the car and clip the keys on when you get in. A bit fiddly but at least they won't fly far.

Does the Auris not have a cubby or cup holder you could put them in? Ash tray?? (Assuming you don't smoke!) The Yaris has a bazillion little cubbys so there must be at least some in the Auris!

Failing that, maybe you could blutack it to the top of the dash :lol:

Years ago when i had cars with a lockable fuel cap,i used hang the key on the trafficator arm using a large split ring. cant remember any rattling problems.

just maybe you you could do something like that.Though with my auris i keep the fob in my pocke it and it has my garage key on its ring.

maybe you could use this method for the garage key and keep the fob in your pocket,

Just take the garage door opener off the Prius keyring thumbsup.gif job done.

For the cars with build in home link we never had this 'challenge' and for those without we just leave a garage opener in the car....

I'm poverty stricken - I don't have a garage opener! (unless you count the wife)

Yes I know I drive a Prius but if I have the keys in my pocket I can't put the crooklok on - the key is on the same ring as the car fob and it's awkward to get it out of said pocket... if I put it in the tray under the gear selector it's fine, but then I forget it and try and lock the car until I realise that's why it's beeping at me....

Any solutions will be gratefully received!

I'm poverty stricken - I don't have a garage opener! (unless you count the wife)

Yes I know I drive a Prius but if I have the keys in my pocket I can't put the crooklok on - the key is on the same ring as the car fob and it's awkward to get it out of said pocket... if I put it in the tray under the gear selector it's fine, but then I forget it and try and lock the car until I realise that's why it's beeping at me....

LOL You haven't lived if you haven't got a Hormann sectional door toast.gif

What on earth is a crooklok?

LOL You haven't lived if you haven't got a Hormann sectional door toast.gif

What on earth is a crooklok?

lol - a crooklok is a mechanical device that connects the footbrake with the steering wheel - thereby, in theory, preventing the vehicle being stolen. It is more of a deterrant really than anything else - the idea being that if a scroat sees that on the steering wheel they will try and nick the car next door that doesn't have one!

They work too - many years ago I had a mk2 Cortina which had the drivers window broken - lucily the local plod (we had them in those days) happened to be on his beat (on foot too!) and caught the idiot that did it - his first comment was that he hadn't seen the crooklok or he wouldn't have bothered....

I've used one ever since although technology now probably makes it unncessary - on that point, does anyone know of a Prius or Auris Hybrid being stolen?

A quick google of stolen prius shows up some interesting stuff... :thumbsup:

It seems that stolen prii are usually due to keys being left in the vehicle.

mmmm - so the scroats have learnt how to drive them then.... :crybaby:

good grief, the word krooklock, brings back memories, last heard of in the 50s, did not know they still made them, or worse still someone using one.

:thumbsup::crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

There's no other way, no ignition switch to bypass.

I really wouldn't bother with a crook lock, if they want to nick it then please do go ahead. That is what insurance is for, factory standard stuff is plenty imo.

I really wouldn't bother with a crook lock, if they want to nick it then please do go ahead. That is what insurance is for, factory standard stuff is plenty imo.

Habit - and you don't live where I do !!!

We have 10 year olds that can outrun the police impreza's in a mini!! If you lose your keys no problem, talk to the 12 year old 2 doors away and within 30 seconds you are driving away!

:yahoo:

So what you are suggesting is that thieves are more likely to steal from their own community? Nice eek.gif Their parents should give them a good hiding and sent them to Sunday school.

So what you are suggesting is that thieves are more likely to steal from their own community? Nice eek.gif Their parents should give them a good hiding and sent them to Sunday school.

hey - I hadn't thought of that - mind you, my sunday school teacher was a real hottie - I remember her well as she was then - now she's fat ugly and nearly bald... still a smashing personality though!!

as to the scroats thieving from their local community... I couldn't possibly comment :rolleyes:

Some years I had one of those "anti-theft" contraptions that went over the handbrake and the gear stick but with a good bit of force it could be pulled of so I was surprised to return to me car and find it had been broken into and the handbrake lock removed, the thief could not get the car started as I had put a hidden switch on the ignition coil:) the thing is I never found the handbrake lock, the thief had stolen it! Never used one again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links