Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Condensation In Light Units

Clip

Got a 10 plate blue and i've noticed a month or so ago that the headlights and the rear clusters have quite a lot of condensation in them, drove it in the dark last night and you can tell that there is patches on it..

it's just over a year old so i've got a warranty still, has this happened to anyone else? I personally know of two people that it's happened too.

Got a 10 plate blue and i've noticed a month or so ago that the headlights and the rear clusters have quite a lot of condensation in them, drove it in the dark last night and you can tell that there is patches on it..

it's just over a year old so i've got a warranty still, has this happened to anyone else? I personally know of two people that it's happened too.

Not sure about the rears, but......

My Aygo is now over 4 years old.

The headlights will sometimes mist up slightly but only

under certain circumstances.

If they are washed with cold water on a sunny day they will sometimes do it.

Sometimes after using headlights on a long drive in winter temperatures.

Perhaps 5-6 times per year.

The mist usually clears pretty quickly with no further action from me.

It worried me the first couple of times, but not any more.

Ian.

hi there,

I would take it back and get it changed for free. I had a headlight like that on an old motor (not my aygo) and it failed the MOT cause the water could effect the electrics. Whilst its under warranty it will save you the cost of a new one!

I believe this is mentioned in the handbook and is described as "not a fault" so I don't know if you would get them replaced under the warranty unless it is particularly excessive.

One of my Avensis some years ago was returned after the 3rd year service with the note that the nearside headlight had been replaced under warranty due to condensation in the unit . I hadn't even noticed it!

I believe this is mentioned in the handbook and is described as "not a fault" so I don't know if you would get them replaced under the warranty unless it is particularly excessive.

course you will ive replaced well more than i care to remember...i work at a dealers in edinburgh

I had a headlight like that on an old motor (not my aygo) and it failed the MOT cause the water could effect the electrics

it cant affect the electrics unless the lamp fills up to bulb hight in water...also you cant fail an mot for water in the light unless it affects the beam pattern

course you will ive replaced well more than i care to remember...i work at a dealers in edinburgh

I had a headlight like that on an old motor (not my aygo) and it failed the MOT cause the water could effect the electrics

it cant affect the electrics unless the lamp fills up to bulb hight in water...also you cant fail an mot for water in the light unless it affects the beam pattern

Which one - I'm based in Embra. If its the one I use do you know if they have heard why the paint is coming off the inside rear bumper of Aygos yet ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just thought i would mention, my 10 Reg Aygo Blue is going into my Toyota dealer because of condensation on the drivers head lamp. The condensation stays there whether the headlamp is on or off, but it only appeared last week. and it does cover the main beam a bit, but mainly the indicator. The passengers side looks fine, but this morning when i checked very closely after driving 21 miles with head lamps on there was a little bit in the passengers head lamp by the indicator, but not enough to distort any beam patterns.

No obvious damage to it, but the dealer has said if it isn't covered by the warranty i will have to bay a £57 diagnostic fee and then the additional cost to fix/replace the unit.

I assume that it will be a warranty job (as i still have 1.5 years left of a 3 year warranty) but is there any advise from anyone for dealing with warranty claims smoothly?

Below is a picture of drivers side after the 21 miles with the lights on. It burnt away some of it, but not all.

img20111017074604.jpg

Is there somewhere you can tape a packet of silica gel without distorting the beam?

That might help as a quick and dirty kludge if they won't replace the light cluster...

ill double check for you but ive not seen any come in yet for that fault?can you take a pic?

Apologies - I hadn't checked this for a while, here is a pic.

Paint.jpg

Just thought i would mention, my 10 Reg Aygo Blue is going into my Toyota dealer because of condensation on the drivers head lamp. The condensation stays there whether the headlamp is on or off, but it only appeared last week. and it does cover the main beam a bit, but mainly the indicator. The passengers side looks fine, but this morning when i checked very closely after driving 21 miles with head lamps on there was a little bit in the passengers head lamp by the indicator, but not enough to distort any beam patterns.

Just an update, headlamp was changed today free of charge by Toyota.

They said that the seal between the outer cover and inner housing was not fitted properly.

Hope this helps others.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links