Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1989 Celica St Starts, Then Dies

davelong667

Hello, I just finished up an engine tear down to replace rod bearings and various leaking seals on my 1989 Celica ST 2.0 3S-FE engine. I tore it down to a bare block, did the work I wanted to, and today, finished putting it all back together. Now it will start just fine, but it revs up to 2000rpm, then dies. If I hold the gas pedal down and start it, it will stay running just fine, runs like a top. But the second you let off the gas it dies. Is this a timing problem? timing chain off 1 or 2 teeth??? or did I forget to hook something up maybe? vaccum line or wiring harness??? To my knowledge, everything is hooked up, and the timing is good. Can someone give me a helping hand here though?? lol Thanks!!!

Definately sounds like you've missed something or perhaps got a bad connection. Sounds like its something with the EFI. Maybe throttle position sensor or idle control.

Does it have a cold start injector?? that would be my first guess. It supplies axtra gas when the motor is first started.

The fact it jumps to 2 grand sound like a vac-leak.

Timing is most likely ok, as you same it runs great when it is getting gas. You have spark because it runs.

So something is happening to the gas getting to the motor. The TPS or IAC could also cause problems liek you describe.

You also might want to check your computer... something may have happened to it, or it could be fine. i have an 89 gt-s 3s-ge engine, with 300,000 miles... and no problems. best thing to do is check everything one more time and make sure you hooked everything up

Thanks for the help guys, I figured if anyone would know, it would be someone on this forum. I thought about it last night and thought maybe the throttle body isnt sealed fully to the intake, or maybe the IAC on the bottom of the throttle body isnt hooked up right. I will check all those things out today. I am so close to having my Celica back on the road I can taste it!! lol Thanks again :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links