Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.3 2011 Old Model Mpg

YarisOAP

I have now done 2800 miles and I cannot get above 40 mpg around town thats in the Peterborough area, on longer runs still only around 48 mpg is there something wrong with my car or are all the claims regarding mpg on Toyota website a load of rubbish, and where do you stand legally ?

You don't stand anywhere legally. That's not an bad fuel consumption you're getting. Its about what you could expect from a fairly large & heavy super-mini being driven around town.

Its not a Toyota thing - its the same for any make of car - you can never expect to get anywhere near the published MPG figure. Published MPG figures are totally artificial and are the result of a specific test, indoors on a rolling road that doesn't take any account of wind resistance or hills or how you drive.

The only valid purpose of the official fuel consumption figures is so that you can compare the result with other cars to see which are more economical than others.

Its a purely artificial test - but its a very precice test that all cars have to follow - so you can use it for comparison purposes when you buy a car but its not realistic to expect to get the same MPH yourself on a real road.

But is it anywhere near the norm for my model

Our "older" 1.3 2008 model has averaged 38mpg over 14000 miles since we bought it. I've seen 55mpg on the computer display after a 30 mile commute fairly regularly but by the time you average it over a whole tankful and calculate it accurateby by using actual fuel used at the pump, it always averages 35-45 over a whole tankful even if the computer suggests its doign better....

I don't think you can complain at 40mpg average around town out of a car with 100 bhp.....

I have now done 2800 miles and I cannot get above 40 mpg around town thats in the Peterborough area, on longer runs still only around 48 mpg is there something wrong with my car or are all the claims regarding mpg on Toyota website a load of rubbish, and where do you stand legally ?

2800miles: not run in.

40mpg around town: which includes cold starts. Very good.

You do realise the official figures are on a rolling road with a warm car. ? Most people think the official figures are real world. The worst is the Fiat Twin Air - impossible to achieve driven as a normal driver..

And of course, even if you had a case, you have to show that you drive with reasonable care : no harsh acceleration , no revving when idle, when cold you start and drive away at once.

The key is to do some homework before you buy :-)

I have the "old" 2011 1.33 MMT. Only 2000 miles since May! By my figures average somewhere around 50 mpg. This is working things out the old fashioned way. Doesn´t seem too much different from computer figures either. All this is a mixture of mostly town driving, sometimes a trip of only 3 miles so not warmed up! Other times a round trip of 180 miles. Also everything in between. The one factor that´s impossible to know is driving style of individuals. I worked for many years in the motor trade and saw just how some people drive. And they mostly called themselves good drivers! I used to wonder how they ever managed to get a licence. Driving in the lower gears for much too long. Holding car on hills with clutch. I´ve seen clutches worn out in a few thousand miles. Brakes as well. I´m not suggesting YarisOAP is a bad driver because I have no way of knowing that.

Regards. Pete.

I have been driving 52 years, I made sure I was driving economical but that did not make a bit of difference, I am only going by the computer reading, but the next time I fill up I will check the old way......

I've been driving for 43 years myself. I've stopped using my indicators now because if people don't know where I'm going by now, they never will......

I've been driving for 43 years myself. I've stopped using my indicators now because if people don't know where I'm going by now, they never will......

When you get older like me you will start to revert back to childhood and start using them again :yahoo::crybaby:

43 years?

Rank beginner :-)

When you get older like me you will start to revert back to childhood and start using them again :yahoo::crybaby:

It's great to see you haven't lost your sense of humour as time rolls on. :D :toast:.

Best regards Pete.

40mpg for pure town driving in a 1.3, esp. if that's short journeys, is actually very good; Most 1.3 owners seem to be down in the mid-30's from what I've seen!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links