Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaky Power Steering

ADAM121

hi everyone,i have developed a squeak on my celica we have a 1995 1.8st import celica and we have found that when we turn the wheel either way to nearly full lock there is a loud screaching coming from the power steering belt,when i turn the wheel the belt screaches and stops turning,it was a bit slack so i have tightened it up but hasnt fixed it,has anyone come across this before and if so what could it be?any remedies for this,thanks,its embarrassing when driving off as its so loud,the belts are new aswell and arent worn.thank you.

Hi Adam, check your gaiters on the steering rack. These gaiters can split or get punctured overtime which will allow grit and dirt inside which will grind on movement. These unfortunately are not usually cheap and is the first place I would look. If it is you will want to get this replaced asap before any damage is caused to the steering rack. check the link below it (it refers to a ford capri - but they all do the same thing):

Steering Rack

Hi Adam, check your gaiters on the steering rack. These gaiters can split or get punctured overtime which will allow grit and dirt inside which will grind on movement. These unfortunately are not usually cheap and is the first place I would look. If it is you will want to get this replaced asap before any damage is caused to the steering rack. check the link below it (it refers to a ford capri - but they all do the same thing):

Steering Rack

hi face,thank you for the reply,seems a little quiet on this forum!to be honest im not very mechanically minded im 32 and lve fast cars and modding but am ashamed to say i dont know much about what goes on under ther bonnet,so what you replied didnt have much affect on me.lol,sorry,but i did take it to my local garage today and he didnt know why it was doing it to look at,as the belts are new,so its booked in next fri so they can have a deeper look,hopefully they will solve it,as somebody must know what it is,thanks again for your help.

There can be different reasons but I think but its quite common with a few makes of cars, my sons A4 does it and I know a few Jaguars had a similar problem that was `cured` by the dealer putting an additive in the power steering fluid.

• Like 1

I WONDER IF IT JUST NEEDS THE ADDITIVE OR JUST A FLUID CHANGE,AS WE HAVE HAD THE CAR A WEEK AND NOT CHECKED OVER IT YET,BUT THE FLUID IS A DARK COLOUR LIKE MUDDY WATER INSTEAD OF THE PINK COLOUR IT SHOULD BE,BUT MY NEIGHBOUR SAID IT COULD JUST BE THAT IT NEEDS A FLUID CHANGE,CANT SEE HOW THAT HELPS THOUGH,WILL GIVE IT A TRY,JUST HAVE TO FIND THE BLEED NIPPLE NOW.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links