Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Totoya Yaris Sr Stalling When Put In Neutral

Trevsl2

Hello everyone,

I have just joined ToyotaOwnersClub.com and hope to have the pleasure of making new friends.

I would be very grateful if anybody, would kindly help me with regards to a certain problem that I have started to experience with my Toyota Yaris SR, which I purchased in March 2011.

As I start to change from Sixth gear down to 1st gear, I then stop the car and I put the gearstick into neutral and my car stalls. I then have turn on the ignition. This keeps happening all the time!

I also noticed that the ECO Off button near the handbrake, displays as being off but, When I push it, the orange light comes on! I then tried to drive, slow down and put the gearstick into neutral but, it does stall as much!

I would be very grateful, if anybody would be generous enough to let me know, if they have experienced the same problem that I have with my car and let me know how they or I could do to rectify this situation.

With kind regards and thanks.

Trevsl2

Hello everyone,

I have just joined ToyotaOwnersClub.com and hope to have the pleasure of making new friends.

I would be very grateful if anybody, would kindly help me with regards to a certain problem that I have started to experience with my Toyota Yaris SR, which I purchased in March 2011.

As I start to change from Sixth gear down to 1st gear, I then stop the car and I put the gearstick into neutral and my car stalls. I then have turn on the ignition. This keeps happening all the time!

I also noticed that the ECO Off button near the handbrake, displays as being off but, When I push it, the orange light comes on! I then tried to drive, slow down and put the gearstick into neutral but, it does stall as much!

I would be very grateful, if anybody would be generous enough to let me know, if they have experienced the same problem that I have with my car and let me know how they or I could do to rectify this situation.

With kind regards and thanks.

Trevsl2

Welcome to TOC

I have moved your question from the "New Members Introduction" section to the Yaris section where hopefully you may get a reply

Are you aware that your car has a "stop start" system? Its meant to stop the engine when you stop the car and put the car into neutral and let the clutch up. (To save petrol when you sit at red traffic lights for example). As soon as you put the clutch down and select first gear to move away, the engine starts automatically.

It sounds like this is what's happening and it is meant to work like that.

The ECO button turns the system off, but only until next time you restart the car with the key and then it automatically gets switched on again.

Dear Alfiejts,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question with regards to why my car stalls.

I am aware of the "stop start" feature as you described but, my problem is that when I put the gearstick into neutral and let the clutch up, the car engine cuts out altogether!!

What normally happens is when the "stop and Start" feature is functional, is whilst the engine has switched off, even before I put the clutch down and select first gear to move away, I just press the accelerator pedal and the engine starts up again. Now it doesn't startup the engine when I Press the accelerator pedal so, I don't understand what has changed with the way I am using the car!

I am not sure if there may be a fault with the "stop start" system but, I will also try as you mentioned, to put the clutch down, select first gear and then press the accelerator pedal and see what happen! If this problem persists, I will probably have to contact my dealer and hope they will be able to be of assistance and not try to fob me off by saying that they cannot find a fault!

Thanks for explaining to me how the ECO button functions as I wasn't totally clear how it worked before!

Thanks again for your help and should you have any other info that may be conducive to my needs, it will be very much appreciated.

With kind regards.

Trevsl2

Dear Alfiejts,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my question with regards to why my car stalls.

I am aware of the "stop start" feature as you described but, my problem is that when I put the gearstick into neutral and let the clutch up, the car engine cuts out altogether!!

What normally happens is when the "stop and Start" feature is functional, is whilst the engine has switched off, even before I put the clutch down and select first gear to move away, I just press the accelerator pedal and the engine starts up again. Now it doesn't startup the engine when I Press the accelerator pedal so, I don't understand what has changed with the way I am using the car!

I am not sure if there may be a fault with the "stop start" system but, I will also try as you mentioned, to put the clutch down, select first gear and then press the accelerator pedal and see what happen! If this problem persists, I will probably have to contact my dealer and hope they will be able to be of assistance and not try to fob me off by saying that they cannot find a fault!

Thanks for explaining to me how the ECO button functions as I wasn't totally clear how it worked before!

Thanks again for your help and should you have any other info that may be conducive to my needs, it will be very much appreciated.

With kind regards.

Trevsl2

The stop/start system is when you engage neutral. The car will only restart if it does it on its own (Say your running the air con) or if you press the CLUTCH in.

If you press the 'Eco Off' button (so the orange light comes on). When you put the car in neutral it should NOT switch off. If it does, contact your dealership as you have a fault.

Dear Alfiejts,

I just wanted to say a big thank you, for your assistance in helping resolve the problems with my Toyota Yaris.

I experimented putting the the car in neutral, once I had stopped at the traffic lights and the engine stopped, as you said it should! As soon as I was ready to go, I put my foot onto the clutch and gear stick in first gear and the engine started again.

What baffles me is that before I did requested help with what I thought was a problem with my car, I noticed that whenever I usually had put the car into neutral, the engine would not switch off immediately! It would only happen after I had been driving for sometime and when I had stopped at the traffic lights after 5 minutes or more. The ECO button was definitely not in use at the time!

At least (I hope the problem has been resolved and I can be a peace of mind, thanks to your help.

With thanks and best wishes.

Trevsl2

Ah - well I hink I can help there too....

The stop-start system isn't enabled immediately you start up from cold. It only gets enabled when the car has warmed up a bit (and there may be other criteria too). Basically the car makes its mind up whether its a good idea to use stop-start or whether its better not to for some reason.

If I remember correctly, there's a warning light on the dash that comes on when its "disabled".

You should be able to spot that the warning light is "lit up" when you start up from cold to show the system is disabled and then turn itself off after driving for a short distance to show that its activated.

Any if I remember correctly, the same light should then light up if you press the eco-off button to confirm that you have disabled the system manually.

Apologies - I'm working from memory from when I had a courtesy car with the stop-start system as my own car doesn't.....

Ah - well I hink I can help there too....

The stop-start system isn't enabled immediately you start up from cold. It only gets enabled when the car has warmed up a bit (and there may be other criteria too). Basically the car makes its mind up whether its a good idea to use stop-start or whether its better not to for some reason.

If I remember correctly, there's a warning light on the dash that comes on when its "disabled".

You should be able to spot that the warning light is "lit up" when you start up from cold to show the system is disabled and then turn itself off after driving for a short distance to show that its activated.

Any if I remember correctly, the same light should then light up if you press the eco-off button to confirm that you have disabled the system manually.

Apologies - I'm working from memory from when I had a courtesy car with the stop-start system as my own car doesn't.....

Thank you so much alfiejts, for all the information that you provided, which answered all my questions, as well as giving me peace of mind!

With kind regards.

Trevsl2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links