Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Verso Diesel Vs. Petrol

daavisz

It is soon to change my Corolla to something newer.

One of cars I've would like to buy is Yaris Verso.

My question is about the petrol engines in the Verso. Diesel seems to be really good, and on paper it gives 56 MPG combined.

What about the petrol? Is it's powerful enough to feel comfortable on motorway? And the 54.1 MPG seems reasonable economy. Almost diesel-like. Can you really achieve that?

My 4A-FE Corolla feels great on motorway. The thing I don't like is the noise. Due the short fifth gear (3k rpm on 60mph) its not comfortable on long journeys. I mean, the engine is powerful enough, it doesn't need that short gear.

I get about 38 MPG combined, which is quite OK, because I drive pretty enthusiastic.

Thanks. Davis.

The 1.3 petrol and 1.4 D4D engines are pretty well matched in terms of overall power.

If you will be driving a lot and/or long distances and there are lots of heavy loads/hills involved, the D4D will be the better option as it consumes much less fuel on long distance runs and the extra torque helps it take loads and hills much more easily.

If it's town, short distances, irregular drives, the 1.3 will be much better as it won't have any of the problems the D4D develops when it isn't pushed enough, but will still pull when needed. Should also be cheaper to buy (but more expensive to run long term.)

"If it's town, short distances, irregular drives, the 1.3 will be much better as it won't have any of the problems the D4D develops when it isn't pushed enough, but will still pull when needed."

Pitfalls around town? None so far in 6 years. A quick blast with hard acceleration once a month clears it out.. I drive 85% of my journeys around town...Guess I must be lucky (or a brilliant driver? :-)

Dude, no need to get defensive, I have one too remember :D

But the fact of the matter is if it's going to only be used for light duty, the 1.3 will give less problems; As you say, the D4D needs a good thrash now and then to keep it in tip-top condition (Good excuse for a random drive :naughty: ), otherwise all the EGR, DPF issues tend to rear their ugly heads :(

A better choice might be between the 1.0 and the 1.4 D4D tho' for light duty.

Diesel engines always will give more problems than petrol engines. That's just because diesels are a lot more complicated.

And every car needs to be trashed often. It's like cleaning out the "clog" :)

But from what I have experienced- diesel engines are lot more comfortable to drive, small petrols- a lot more fun.

But this tread actually was about the capabilities of 1.3 petrol in a Verso. I mean, it probably is great in a hatchback, but the verso is a lot more taller and a bit heavier. Anyone knows the Versos drag coefficient?

As you say, the D4D needs a good thrash now and then to keep it in tip-top condition (Good excuse for a random drive :naughty: ), otherwise all the EGR, DPF issues tend to rear their ugly heads :(

I know the new diesel Yaris has a DPF but surely the earlier models didn`t :huh:

Anyone knows the Versos drag coefficient?

According to the 2003 Toyota Yaris Verso brochure the drag coefficient was 0.311.

According to the 2003 Toyota Yaris Verso brochure the drag coefficient was 0.311.

Thanks. It's less than I thought. Same as my Corolla. Seems it's something like industry average.

As you say, the D4D needs a good thrash now and then to keep it in tip-top condition (Good excuse for a random drive :naughty: ), otherwise all the EGR, DPF issues tend to rear their ugly heads :(

I know the new diesel Yaris has a DPF but surely the earlier models didn`t :huh:

Ahh point, the Yaris Verso is based on the Mk1 Yaris isn't it?

So no DPF or DMF issues to worry about :yahoo:

(Still gotta keep an eye on the ol' EGR and injector clog tho' if it's only used for light duty!)

Ahh point, the Yaris Verso is based on the Mk1 Yaris isn't it?

So no DPF or DMF issues to worry about :yahoo:

(Still gotta keep an eye on the ol' EGR and injector clog tho' if it's only used for light duty!)

Yes, of course. It seems a really good buy.

These new systems make diesels more comfortable, smoother and better to environment.

But they are too complex and usually gives trouble after some time.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links