Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Chip Kit Is On .....

CharlieFarlie

Thanks for that. Must admit I'm not really fussed about the town driving improvement, as most of my miles are out in the countryside. It doesn't sound like I'd be getting much (if anything) more to the gallon, so I might try elsewhere. Perhaps they will be the same, but the 14 day guarantee is something I would be ready to use if they didn't work as promised. I would be happy with a modest power/torque increase & a 10% MPG improvement & both the other companies say that's easily possible. A little more research required then . . . .

With any performance kit, the theory is you can give BHP and torque figures quite easily via a dyno. One thing I would say about any dyno is don't get too hung up on the figures it produces, it will always be a ball park figure, there are so many variables such as the quality of the equipment, the knowledge of the dyno operator, atmoshperic conditions and even the quality of the cooling equpment. What you are trying to do is strap a car to a machine and run it up, and try to mimic the same effect as being on the road at 80 MPH.

The upside of a chip kit is that with the extra torque / power, you can use a lighter throttle setting to get the power you had as standard. If you drive your car hard with your new found power, you will not see any MPG gains. All customers have different driving styles and drive in different conditions, we cannot make any accurate claims about MPG because it is different for everyone. Most customers I deal with tell me they get anything from 3-7 MPG better consumption, occasionally, quite a bit more

The one thing a chip kit will do is smooth out the power delivery, it will be considerably better than standard with more power across the entire rev band,

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well I've decided that mine will get a tuning box fitted, after the Winter. I'll take it to the nearest dyno (75 mls away) and have it tested in 'before' & 'after' conditions. That way I'll have power & torque figures to compare & a drive home that's long enough to show any gain in MPG. If it doesn't work, it'll be going back . . . .

I did My 360 mile commute today from Scotland to the Midlands.. I filled at the same place as the last run down and re filled at the same garage when arriving... Only difference being the tuning box is now fitted....

MPG gain ??????.........Nothing...... :crybaby: :crybaby:

Wee Charlie.

Thanks for replying with that info Charlie - out of interest which one did you get ? I've found 3 so far - TDI Tuning, Chip Express & LindopToyota. TDI is by far the cheapest at £285 & promise the same deal as C.E with guarantee & warranty. You should ask for your money back if it doesn't work.

Dont rule out the TUNIT boxes that have had great reviews. Expensive when new at £485! But great as a used one at around the £130-£150 mark. I have 2 of them on different cars and I'm amazed at the 12mph gain at 70mph for my T-180 Avensis. Power curve is very strong and the engine idle's quieter and smoother than before. Another member off here bought the TUNIT box the other day, so we'll see what he makes of it once its fitted. :thumbsup:

How do the tunit boxes connect? Do they connect on all 4 injectors or onto the 1 x common rail thingy?

Vey simply mate. Just plugs into the fuel rail. Did mine in under 10 mins easy. I think that the Kingo boxes have to get there feed (Afaik) from the Battery that the Tunit boxes doesn't. I'd read loads of reviews from the motoring mags and other forums before I went for this box. They come witha 3 year warranty (And 1 year drivetrain, which I believe that no other box comes with) and the after sales (Even if you've not bought it new) is out of this World. Tunit have bent over backwards for me when I bought the wrong (Got the one for the 2.2 and not the T-180) box off eBay and just did a straight exchange for the correct one FOC. Cant praise them enough :thumbsup:

Our T180 kits connect fuel boost sensor and fuel rail pressure, the new kits do not need a pos / neg cable, earlier models did need to have a Battery cable connection

But will the 4x injector kingo one be better than the 1x common rail one?

Will the kingo one monitor all 4x injectors seperatly as opposed to the 1x commonon rail sensor?

If you get my drift?

We dont do an injector kit for the T180, it's not possible, the T180 engine is very difficult to map and you wont get a decent injector kit that will do the job

But will the 4x injector kingo one be better than the 1x common rail one?

Will the kingo one monitor all 4x injectors seperatly as opposed to the 1x commonon rail sensor?

If you get my drift?

No one to date has been able to crack the Denso ECU. So you have to go down the line of a piggy back box atm, like the boxes we've been chatting about...

John, i might be intrested in one of your kits for avensis T180 2007, but i can not email you, i gues because im a new user :crybaby:

40mpg from a plus 180 Bhp engine sounds good to me. I get that mpg with a lot less bhp, I would be happy with that.

Not really - my supercharged 1.8 petrol Nissan managed 41 MPG average & that had 190 bhp (or 159 at the wheels). It's only when you used all the performance available that it dived into the 30's. So I still say a modern turbodiesel should easily manage 45 MPG+ in similar conditions. How come Audi, BMW & even Vauxhall can manage it but Toyota can't ? Don't get me wrong here, I like the Auris 2.2 & appreciate the smooth, quiet nature of it's operation. But I really wish it did at least 5 MPG more to make the changeover more worthwhile. Hence my interest in a tuning box that actually does what it says.

40mpg from a plus 180 Bhp engine sounds good to me. I get that mpg with a lot less bhp, I would be happy with that.

Not really - my supercharged 1.8 petrol Nissan managed 41 MPG average & that had 190 bhp (or 159 at the wheels). It's only when you used all the performance available that it dived into the 30's. So I still say a modern turbodiesel should easily manage 45 MPG+ in similar conditions. How come Audi, BMW & even Vauxhall can manage it but Toyota can't ? Don't get me wrong here, I like the Auris 2.2 & appreciate the smooth, quiet nature of it's operation. But I really wish it did at least 5 MPG more to make the changeover more worthwhile. Hence my interest in a tuning box that actually does what it says.

Its very likely that a lighter vehicle like a Verso or a Avensis would crack 45 MPG ... But a Rav4 is a much different kettle of fish altogether !! 42 MPG is very good !!

John is right the power is very very smooth.. Dyno figures mean sod all Real world driving is what matters ... Its no good having 250 BHP if all the power is out of the usual rev range.. With the Lindop kit the power builds from very low down. It builds quickly and without drama but with real urge..

As Ive said on long journeys say on the motorway I set the cruise at 70 and listen to the stereo ( Which is in the Rav complete crap )

So little or no on off throttle or changing gears.. This will mean that the box can do almost nothing to improve MPG as the engine at 70 is turning over at just 2000 RPM so little to be gained at this engine speed.....

The real gains are around town where I'm still getting 40 to 41 which is amazing !!

Wee Charlie.

Our T180 has had a new engine 2 weeks ago and we also have a Lindops chip kit. We reset everything when we picked the car up after the new motor was fitted and have now done approximately 1,000 miles. We were advised that we will see better MPG as the new engine loosens up but we are already seeing the fuel computer settle at just under 45 MPG. I know the fuel computer is not accurate but it is not a million miles out either. Granted my wife does 95% of the driving which is all motorway but she doesn't drive like a granny.

If we are supposed to get better MPG as the new engine loosens up, we could be looking at 47/48 MPG on the fuel computer this side of Christmas once the wife has put another few K on it. thumbsup.gif

Our T180 has had a new engine 2 weeks ago and we also have a Lindops chip kit. We reset everything when we picked the car up after the new motor was fitted and have now done approximately 1,000 miles. We were advised that we will see better MPG as the new engine loosens up but we are already seeing the fuel computer settle at just under 45 MPG. I know the fuel computer is not accurate but it is not a million miles out either. Granted my wife does 95% of the driving which is all motorway but she doesn't drive like a granny.

If we are supposed to get better MPG as the new engine loosens up, we could be looking at 47/48 MPG on the fuel computer this side of Christmas once the wife has put another few K on it. thumbsup.gif

Martin. My engine has done 5500 miles now and the MPG is the same as when it was new... I think to get 47/48 would mean sitting at 60 on the Mway or at least in My car it would .....

Jedi .. I have heard the same RE using Cruise ,, But I need it on those long Mway stretches !!!

Wee Charlie.

Now im confused!

Before the chip my obc would read 29-30mpg and brim to brim calculations would average 30-31mpg.

Just completed my first brim to brim fill with the chip, driving like a mega granny to eek out the best result and the obc was reading 35.3mpg, so i expected to see a similar result in the calculations............not the 31.75mpg it came out as.

:crybaby:

Now im confused!

Before the chip my obc would read 29-30mpg and brim to brim calculations would average 30-31mpg.

Just completed my first brim to brim fill with the chip, driving like a mega granny to eek out the best result and the obc was reading 35.3mpg, so i expected to see a similar result in the calculations............not the 31.75mpg it came out as.

:crybaby:

Dont know if this going to make sense but I think maybe the chip and the car need to adjust or learn each other ??

I am comfortably getting 42 on the Motorway at 70 set to 70 on cruise.. Round the town is 38 to 40 so no real difference..

31 is woefull !!!!! My car was doing those figures up till the engine was replaced !! Sometimes less than that ! :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Auris 2.2 - 50,000 miles 2007

Has anyone had the following since fitting the kingo tuning box?

1) Engine is louder when cold - injectors are ticking louder when the engine is under a light load. Idling is also slightly louder.

2) I had just parked up, handbrake on and in neutral and then without any warning chimes or messages on the instrument panel, the car stalls and cuts out? Restarted straight away with no issues.

3) Accelerating lightly, in gears 2, 3 or 4, at approx 1800rpm power delivery begins to surge making the car lurch until it smooths out again. This is only under light acceleration.

The settings on the tuning box are untouched, so setting 6.

I'm thinking that it's only down to coincidence, I'm guessing, for issue number 1 the tuning kit has highlighted a potential fault in the car?

Issue 2, I have no idea, it's only happened once.

Issue 3, only happened once.. to me it sounds like the EGR?

Under medium to full acceleration, the car is fine.

Any input appreciated!

Reply is a resoundful "no" to all of your questions, Phil.....and my Kingo kit was second hand when I fitted it 26 months ago. It is also the "older" type which did require Battery connections.

Big Kev :unsure:

No problems at all so far with My one... Just smooth strong power and increased economy...

Perhaps You have a coincidental problem ???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links