Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Coolant

PuervesGrundy

Hi guys,

I picked up three litres of genuine Toyota coolant and am probably going to have a go at changing it tomorrow. I found a useful guide to do it and it doesn't seem too hard.

What tools would I need?

Hi guys,

I picked up three litres of genuine Toyota coolant and am probably going to have a go at changing it tomorrow. I found a useful guide to do it and it doesn't seem too hard.

What tools would I need?

Something like this will make life a little easier. I'd flush the rad out with a hose pipe to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120803227299?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

If you have bought genuine Toyota coolant check to see if it is premixed, i.e. you do not dilute it with water. If this is the case do not flush the cooling system because it will leave water in the system which will dilute the coolant. The top tip is fill the system slowly, and I mean slowly. I fill cooling systems through a funnel with a 3mm. outlet. Yes it takes time but you do not get airlocks. I have seen too many people fill the system quickly then spend hours trying to eliminate airlocks. Tortoise and the hare!

Regards Geoff Peace

If you have bought genuine Toyota coolant check to see if it is premixed, i.e. you do not dilute it with water. If this is the case do not flush the cooling system because it will leave water in the system which will dilute the coolant. The top tip is fill the system slowly, and I mean slowly. I fill cooling systems through a funnel with a 3mm. outlet. Yes it takes time but you do not get airlocks. I have seen too many people fill the system quickly then spend hours trying to eliminate airlocks. Tortoise and the hare!

Regards Geoff Peace

Flushing the rad will not be a problem at all. I've done this many times on more cars than I wish to remember.

If you have bought genuine Toyota coolant check to see if it is premixed, i.e. you do not dilute it with water. If this is the case do not flush the cooling system because it will leave water in the system which will dilute the coolant.

It is the pre-mixed stuff.

The mix I have in it at the moment I'd say is more water than coolant(I threw some summer stuff in a few months back), so it may not make a difference whether I flush it or not. Would it still be advisable not to though?

If you have bought genuine Toyota coolant check to see if it is premixed, i.e. you do not dilute it with water. If this is the case do not flush the cooling system because it will leave water in the system which will dilute the coolant.

It is the pre-mixed stuff.

The mix I have in it at the moment I'd say is more water than coolant(I threw some summer stuff in a few months back), so it may not make a difference whether I flush it or not. Would it still be advisable not to though?

If you are just flushing the rad then all the water is just going to go from the top of the rad to the bottom of the rad and then gone! Top and bottom hose off. Simples :eek:But if you dont need(Or want) to do this the just change the coolant as normal...

If you are just flushing the rad then all the water is just going to go from the top of the rad to the bottom of the rad and then gone! Top and bottom hose off. Simples :eek:But if you dont need(Or want) to do this the just change the coolant as normal...

OK, thank you everyone.

I just had a look under the car and I don't feel confident in doing this. I don't see any drain plug for the radiator and I'm worried that I'm going to f**k up my engine by mixing the new coolant with any residual water that is left over.

Should I leave it to the professionals?

I just had a look under the car and I don't feel confident in doing this. I don't see any drain plug for the radiator and I'm worried that I'm going to f**k up my engine by mixing the new coolant with any residual water that is left over.

Firstly if a cooling system is drained it never drains completely residual water is left in the engine block and the heater matrix does not drain. This can be a litre or more. If you then fill with premixed antifreeze it will be diluted further, this is unlikely to cause any problems with freezing in winter but the anti-corrosive properties will be compromised. Antifreeze is very sophisticated these days it may or may not contain borates silicates and OAT technology you must have the correct one for you car. Never mix different types or brands, the anti-corrosive properties are vital to preserve the head gasket, coolant pump etc. The drain tap is at the bottom of the radiator under the fan, to the right [as you look at the car] and level with the bottom hose. I would flush the system to get rid of all the old antifreeze and then buy the concentrated form and put in 50 to 60% of the stated cooling capacity and top up with water. Then you know you are protected against corrosion. Leave it to the professionals! they will do whatever is quickest and easiest and you will never know. I personally use Comma antifreeze, if you visit their website it will tell you the correct type for your car.

Regards Geoff Peace.

Firstly if a cooling system is drained it never drains completely residual water is left in the engine block and the heater matrix does not drain. This can be a litre or more. If you then fill with premixed antifreeze it will be diluted further, this is unlikely to cause any problems with freezing in winter but the anti-corrosive properties will be compromised. Antifreeze is very sophisticated these days it may or may not contain borates silicates and OAT technology you must have the correct one for you car. Never mix different types or brands, the anti-corrosive properties are vital to preserve the head gasket, coolant pump etc. The drain tap is at the bottom of the radiator under the fan, to the right [as you look at the car] and level with the bottom hose. I would flush the system to get rid of all the old antifreeze and then buy the concentrated form and put in 50 to 60% of the stated cooling capacity and top up with water. Then you know you are protected against corrosion. Leave it to the professionals! they will do whatever is quickest and easiest and you will never know. I personally use Comma antifreeze, if you visit their website it will tell you the correct type for your car.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I have already bought the Toyota stuff and I think I'm just going to hand it over to a mechanic now and let them do it. I don't feel like bringing it back at this stage.

Why not get one of those coolant testers that tell you the strength?...the ones with the coloured balls in that float to what ever strength it is.

Anyone doing the coolant for themselves...don't put the old stuff down the drain and don't leave it lying around,

It has a sweet taste and animals (especially cats) drink the stuff and die slowly and agonisingly

Dispose of it correctly.

Why not get one of those coolant testers that tell you the strength?...the ones with the coloured balls in that float to what ever strength it is.

I just don't feel confident doing it myself at all anymore.

I think I'm going to book it into Fast Fit or one of those places and throw them a few quid to do it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links