Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hunting/maf Sensor Cleaning

AygoCI

Hi guys,

About to carry out the annual service on my 03 CDX Auto this weekend. Even when she's warm the exhaust note sounds a little irregular like hunting, but not noticeable when driving or on the rev counter. She's covered 38k miles.

As I live in Guernsey the speed limit is 35mph so could be a carbon build up. I've not taken the car off Island in the year I've owned, and not sure the previous owner would have either.

I read a post last weekend that I now can't find about cleaning the MAF sensor on a Lexus which was great. Can anyone else remember where it is on here?

Do you think along with a service (plugs and air filter done last year) so coolant this year, oil and filter, brake fluid etc and clean of MAF that will be enough? Or should I try an oil additive or fuel additive to de-carb? I intend to buy Toyota 5-30 oil and always use Toyota genuine parts.

Car has a full Toyota main dealer history prior.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Regards Adie.

Hi guys,

About to carry out the annual service on my 03 CDX Auto this weekend. Even when she's warm the exhaust note sounds a little irregular like hunting, but not noticeable when driving or on the rev counter. She's covered 38k miles.

As I live in Guernsey the speed limit is 35mph so could be a carbon build up. I've not taken the car off Island in the year I've owned, and not sure the previous owner would have either.

I read a post last weekend that I now can't find about cleaning the MAF sensor on a Lexus which was great. Can anyone else remember where it is on here?

Do you think along with a service (plugs and air filter done last year) so coolant this year, oil and filter, brake fluid etc and clean of MAF that will be enough? Or should I try an oil additive or fuel additive to de-carb? I intend to buy Toyota 5-30 oil and always use Toyota genuine parts.

Regards Adie.

Hello, you seem to be on the right track so do your full service and then see how the car runs, using a good quality fuel additive won't do any harm. Only use electrical contact cleaner spray on the Maf and be careful not to damage the fine wires.

Come back when the service is done and let us know the result .

Regards .... Pete.

Hi guys,

Regards Adie.

MAF sensor cleaning guide.. It's for a Lexus but same parts fit a Yaris :-)

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/knowledge/index.php?page=index_v2&id=152&c=11

If your coolant is pink, it is OAT and 10 year life.

I would also change Gearbox oil , and inspect front disks/pads and remove rear drums and check...

Bleed clutch as well as brakes...same fluid...

Check ARB droplink bushes...

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

As the car is coming up for 9 yrs was going to change the coolant to be on the safe side. It has no colour, was expecting red or pink or even green. Figured a change would do no harm at 9 years even if fitted with 10 year. Guess my Toyota dealer can guide.

I'll let you know how the hunting goes after service this weekend.

Ok service completed.

Changed engine oil and filter, air filter replaced and MAF sensor cleaned. Plugs checked (new last year) they were a little out so reset to 0.8mm. Coolant changed, auto gearbox oil changed, brake fluid changed, brakes checked over and ARB bushes checked which need to be replaced.

Car runs well, but exhaust note when warm still sounds irregular not a smooth note. Any thoughts? I can't run it up a motorway at 70mph to clear out which won't help.

Not a major issue but bugging me now as it still sounds like low level hunting, anyone else have this?

Adie.

Car runs well, but exhaust note when warm still sounds irregular not a smooth note. Any thoughts? I can't run it up a motorway at 70mph to clear out which won't help.

Not a major issue but bugging me now as it still sounds like low level hunting, anyone else have this?

Adie.

Add some injection cleaner to a full tank.

Find a long )1 mile+) hill or incline, warm the car up first and then drive up as fast as you can in 3rd gear..should help burn off any deposits... Try a couple of times)

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

MPG has gone up from 36mpg which I couldn't better last week to 48mpg following the service so nothing too much wrong I guess.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links