Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 Corolla 1.4 Vvti

AlanS.

Hi

I'm looking at a 2005 1.4 Corolla for my wife, i had a 53 plate Avensis 1.8 few years ago which drank engine oil at an alarming rate.

Do they still suffer from this engine oil comsumption problem?

any known faults that i should look out for?

thanks

well i have a 2003 1.4 rolla and it hasn't drank a drop of engine oil yet so i don't think the E12 rolla's (2001 onward) have this problem,,,especially the 1.4's

im sure someone will know better than me and come give you some better advice :)

best of luck with your purchase mate thumbsup.gif

I tink it's generally the higher capacity engines that had this problem; The 1.4 should be pretty safe.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1.4 2005 Corolla has never drunk oil. I think Cryker is correct. It's the bigger engines that have the problem.

My 1.4 petrol 2006 (56) doesn't use any oil between the 10k services.

I think it very much depends how the car was driven in the first 1000 miles. Something to do with the way the wear patten develops in the engine. The mistake people make with a new car is to drive it very carefully for the first 1000 miles. It's not so much the careful driving that's the problem, but the fact the engine's rpm's are held at the same level for a long time / miles. You need to vary the rpm's as much as possible... For motorway this means speeding up to 70 and dropping back to 50~60 as much as possible during the first 1000 miles. If you know you're on a long straight road then drop down a gear and then back up to keep the rmp's moving. Drop back a bit in traffic and then speed up a bit... but try not to go above 4k rpm's if you can.. and wait for the engine temp to reach normal before pushing the engine too much.

DS9

but the older 1.4 has the problem with the noisey manifold or is it just a headshield rattling? i can't remember. i must say solid engine though...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links