Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Rattle

Sabre46

Ive got a 98 RAv4 2 ltr Petrol. Ive started getting a rattle from the right hand side of the engine bay (when sat in the car). It sort of sounds as if there is a loose component on the exhaust but goes away over 1800 revs. Could this be a timing chain issue. The car has done 119k miles. Many thank :thumbsup:

Ive got a 98 RAv4 2 ltr Petrol. Ive started getting a rattle from the right hand side of the engine bay (when sat in the car). It sort of sounds as if there is a loose component on the exhaust but goes away over 1800 revs. Could this be a timing chain issue. The car has done 119k miles. Many thank :thumbsup:

check visualy all pipes connections and all possible spots of that sound origination. you're free to manipulate with throttle and visually locate this spot.

cheers/Igor

Your car has a timing belt.

Possible noises -

the heat shield above the exhaust manifold has a habit of corroding and then a tinny rattle.

alternator bearing ?

Now - isn't the water pump down there ?

Or an exhaust bracket?

I recall that i had a rattle on my 1st Rav, same as yours and it was the heat shield on the exhaust that had rotted.

Thanks guys. Ill take a looky. BTW should the Belt be changed at any time?

Normally the belt should be changed at 60k mile intervals.

Normally the belt should be changed at 60k mile intervals.

Hmmmm getting close to that. Is it something I can do for my self? Quite used to weilding spanners on my motorbike.

The process is pinned in the maintenance section. You probably need a good selection of tools and a reasonable level of competance.

Click on the photo here;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109888

or the pdf in this post;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71649

could be something in the glove box! or rattling bonnet stay arm, if the little plastic holding clip is broken???

My 1997 Rav4.1 with a 2.0 petrol engine and 91K on the clock, has also recently developed what I can only describe as a tinny vibration rattle at 2000rpm. Before and after that engine speed, it's not there. When sitting in the car, it also sounds like its comimg from the right hand side of the engine bay.

At least now I know to check out the heatshield above the exhaust manifold first, thanks guys! :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Hello again. Thanks for all of your help . The "How to " on replacing the belt was very informative. Im at the point whereI really need to do some thing about this now ( Been very busy and not driven the car) THe rattle is coming from the belt end of the engine, but a belt wouldnt rattle - would it? So what else could be making the noise. Maybee the waterpump bearing is on its way out. Are there any articles on replacing the water pump?

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

All sorted. Water pump was knackered. Changed that and the timing belt. Rollers and springs all good. Bit tight in there though. DAmn these big hands. Proper.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links